Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Korean ATM Cards work outside Korea??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Which Korean ATM Cards work outside Korea?? Reply with quote

My university will not pay me my summer vacation in advance, but will continue to deposit my salary on regular paydays in the bank of my choice.

So, which Korean banks have ATM cards with which I can access my account from outside Korea? I have heard numerous stories of banks that SAY they can, but can't. Have also read elsewhere that KukMin Bank's card does work outside the country?

Can those with experience (rather than just opinions) clue me on which bank to use? I hope to just travel but will need the dependable infusion of funds.

Thanks!

Jenny
Cabbit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookmin bank

My parents came for a holiday and got a kookmin atm card.
I have been depositing money in it here in Korea, and they have been taking in out in Australia (even used it in Bali). I think you can take out 1000aud a day for 12 days too.

Hope that helped

Cabbit
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHB also works just ask them for a foreign ATM card their regular one will not cut it, did in Bali and in the US. Just remember they work during Korean ATM hours ie 5PM-7AM US CST
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Kookmin ATM card in S.east asia and the USA, never had any problems except for one time in Malaysia.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: thanks for the input Reply with quote

Okay, I'll give KukMin a shot. Sounds like they have the highest success rate. Might try CHB too though as they have a branch on campus.
Will report back if they work or not.

Thanks all - any additional experiences on this topic - greatfully appreciated!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news about Kookmin: The old green cards from last year work abroad. But the new, grey, "KB" cards (post-merger) don't seem to work outside the country. I couldn't get anything out of them last month in Singapore, Thailand or Malaysia, but had no problems with the old card in Canada last year.

It might work for you, but take a back-up.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the updates! Reply with quote

Okay, back to CHB! Plan B? Anyway, they are on campus. Will post a follow up after vacation.

Thanks!
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they know that you want one that works ouside of Korea. The first one they gave me was Korea only.

And remember that the card only works during Korea banking hours, so no Saturday or Sunday use.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: CHB Reply with quote

Gypsyfish, can I assume by your comments that you have a CHB card?
Great to know - if I understand correctly. Just waiting for next pay day to start up my account.
Thanks!
Jenny
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have an account at CHB. Don't let them tell you that they don't have international cards. When I said I wanted one, the clerk didn't know that they issued them and had to ask her boss. If I hadn't been told that they had international cards, I might not have perservered.

Enjoy the new card. Wink
denz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

cabbit,

that's a genius move on how to send money home to oz. now you've got me thinking.

mwooharhar

denz
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kookmin stuff -

I have the new brown/grey card, and I used it multiple times in Texas, HK, etc. over this last Xmas/NYEve winter break. Same story, you just need to get the International edition, and use it during Korean banking hours.

You can get a second card for just 2,ooo won more (or have another one issued). And yes, you can do that at any time (and it is a very good way to arrange money extracts from your Korean bank!)

G.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Banks! Reply with quote

After opening a CHB account and going to their main branch to get their "internatinal ATM" card the people there said "impossible!" - so went down the street to KB (Kook Min Bank) and they had me in and out in less than 15 minutes with an international card that had "international" written on it and a label for the Maestro system - which I think I have seen around. This card is the brown and grey "debit" card.

I think this is exactly what I want - is this the card people have had good experiences with?

Thanks again!
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one -

Brown top, grey/off-white bottom. Maestro & Debit Card symbols on front. Cirrus symbol on back.

Cool

G.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

Thanks, that's exactly the card I got. Looking forward to trying it.

Thank you everyone for the quidance.

Jenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: