Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethnic Diversity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlord1986

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Ethnic Diversity Reply with quote

I know Korea is not well known for its ethnic diversity, but I have a friend who wants to teach in Korea, and he is of Latino decent. Given his skin color (he is slightly darker than an average caucasian) will he be able to find a job? Does he need to focus on specific locations and/or cities to find work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BaldTeacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I know plenty of blacks, latinos and others who teach in Korea. For every school that won't hire him there will be at least one more that will.
tlord1986

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel much better, BaldTeacher. Thank you.
rickpidero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

There is plenty of diversity amongst English teachers. Although, it is true they'd rather have a whitey. I'd say look into EPIK, they hire anyone with a head, mouth, and university degree.
redaxe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea doesn't seem to have any particular discrimination against Latinos. I have a handful Latino friends here and they are basically treated the same as white anglo-saxon foreigners, as far as I can tell. I haven't heard any specific complaints. They might call your friend a "Spanish person" though.
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a latino friend teaching here.
The only discrimination she felt at her school was after she went to the Philippines for Christmas vacation and returned with a lovely tan.

The director kept discouraging her from going to the lobby to greet parents. She later found out that it is because after her vacation the director thought she looked "too black".
Old Gil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's husband is from Venezuela and he says most Koreans can't really tell the difference.
ca86108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im mixed but half "BROWN" I guess and look brown. I got a job but did get turned down at some places because of my race. They would ask me my ethnicity lol.
Englishee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koreans are very materialistic. to them, looks are EVERYTHING. this is the reason why an 18 year old girl will spend 1 months salary on a purse and then borrow 1 months salary from a loan shark just necessities, but then turn around and spend it on another purse...

your friend will not be able to teach in certain areas, like Gangnam, Apgujeong...the majority of the hagwons usually want white, blonde, females, and if you're lucky, white males.

if he wins the lottery and gets hired by a public board, lets say SMOE, then he'll be placed on the outer edge of the city, or in a less desirable school.

i definitely dont support this, but thats the way it is.

alot of recruiters have a system--i know because i was told by many--that they separate "good looking" applicants and "ugly applicants" and use the good looking ones for their "better" schools.

Think about it, when a school hires u, all they really see is your picture. coming out of university, everyone's qualifications are basically the same, your image is basically all they have to go by.

sad, but very true.
Ukon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Englishee wrote:
koreans are very materialistic. to them, looks are EVERYTHING. this is the reason why an 18 year old girl will spend 1 months salary on a purse and then borrow 1 months salary from a loan shark just necessities, but then turn around and spend it on another purse...

your friend will not be able to teach in certain areas, like Gangnam, Apgujeong...the majority of the hagwons usually want white, blonde, females, and if you're lucky, white males.

if he wins the lottery and gets hired by a public board, lets say SMOE, then he'll be placed on the outer edge of the city, or in a less desirable school.

i definitely dont support this, but thats the way it is.

alot of recruiters have a system--i know because i was told by many--that they separate "good looking" applicants and "ugly applicants" and use the good looking ones for their "better" schools.

Think about it, when a school hires u, all they really see is your picture. coming out of university, everyone's qualifications are basically the same, your image is basically all they have to go by.

sad, but very true.

Umm...no...I work for SMOE...it was pretty random in terms of placement and the few issues from discrimination was due to age(many schools want young teachers). I'm half black and work for SMOE...I was placed in a excellent location. I don't recall any ther minorities being placed in weird locations....

I don't know what hiring of minorities is like for Gangnam or Apgujeong personally, but your really assuming alot in that statement.
travel zen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've travelled much of Asia and I've heard lots of stories before coming over. Every country I've been in has TONS of black, asian and darker skinned people teaching from kindergarden to University. Of course, there is discrimination and out and out racism, but its not universal at all.

China, Korea, Japan, even Mongolia (in Sept '09) has lots of black teachers from USA to South Africa. I've met many, many. Don't ever be discouraged by anybody about teaching in Asia. Good Luck Very Happy
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school that I worked at DID not hire based on race or looks as the director who did the hiring was Canadian. They do prefer if you are a certified teacher though. If you want to PM me to know about the school i will gladly give you contact information.
santafly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many teaching jobs in Korea where the HR person doing the hiring is a foreigner - the easiest way to avoid this issue.
Bucky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a real pattern to SMOE's placement. My school requested a Canadian, and they got one -- I'm a Chinese Canadian. So anything can happen. Just give it a try and see what pops out.
tlord1986

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. My friend will be very pleased to hear this. We are hoping to be placed in the same city so that we can at least be close, if not live together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: