Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh No Ohno

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keepongoing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Oh No Ohno Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/short_track_speed_skating/news?slug=capress-oly_sho_hating_ohno-192707124&prov=capress&type=lgns
The traditional rivalry between Ohno and the South Koreans flared up again in that race, the 1,500 metres. Three South Koreans were in the lead as they rounded the last turn, but two crashed out, allowing Ohno to slip across the finish line in second.

Incensed gold medallist Lee Jung-su criticized Ohno as "too aggressive" in a post-race news conference.

"Ohno didn't deserve to stand on the same medal platform as me," he told Yonhap. "I was so enraged that it was hard for me to contain myself during the victory ceremony."

South Korean broadcaster SBS posted a clip online from the semifinal with a caption saying it shows Ohno "pushing" Lee.

"I understand that in sports, you naturally want to win. But sports competitions should be won through fair play," Jung Kyung Kim, a 21-year-old college student, said in central Seoul on Friday.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't quote the best part

Quote:
at least one blogger hopes to see him fall flat on his face: "He should fall down on the ice and have (figure skater) Kim Yu-na land on his disgusting face after she performs a triple Axel."

Korea fighting!

I also enjoyed the Korean skating coaches throwing stuff at the Chinese when they were (legally) filming their practices.

as an aside:

how did Koreans get so good/dominant at skating, especially short track?
I give credit where credit is due.

as a throwaway aside:

curling is to winter 'sports' what golf is to summer "sports".
mayorgc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Korean hate for Ohno justified? From an outsider's point of view, it all seems so petty. It was 8 years ago and people here still get enraged when they see his face.

Are there other examples from around the world that resemble the Korea-Ohno feud? Where almost an entire country hates one individual athlete?
Nanook21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayorgc wrote:
Are there other examples from around the world that resemble the Korea-Ohno feud? Where almost an entire country hates one individual athlete?

yes. the Koreans as a nation also hate Ichiro Suzuki.... much more than they hate Ohno.

Also Ireland hates Thierry Henry, the soccer player from France, because of his illegal goal a few months ago.
Koharski
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=178046
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: