Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can civilians see military doctors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonofthedarkstranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Can civilians see military doctors? Reply with quote

I live in Iksan, Jeollabuk-do, and I need to see a doctor with superb English. There aren't many high-caliber English speakers around here and I don't want to go all the way up to Seoul. I do however live half an hour from Gunsan, where there is an army base (jeonju is half an hour in the other direction). Can I, a civilian, see an army doctor? Or are they only there for the US forces? How can I contact such a doctor and schedule an appointment (if possible). Also, can non-US citizens see army doctors?

You can reply to this thread directly or email me if you can clue me in. thanks.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the answer is no.

How close are you to Busan, I'm sure there are some good international clinics there.
weened

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an ex-military guy at our school who claimed that a soldier could get you into see the doctor. He also definitively claimed that they won't see civilians.
autumneve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Korean Docs are pretty good. Reply with quote

First, no you can't use military Doctors .
I think Korean doctors are as good at western docs, and they really try hard for the "wei-gooks" . I've been here six years, I've been sick and I've got friends that had life threaten conditoins, we have all been satisfied with the doctors and the treatment.
The biggest complaint I've got is that they will usually try to get you to do private teaching for them.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

autumneve
Quote:
...had life threaten conditoins...

whoa!!

i hope I never have conditoins!! sounds painful!! Wink
sonofthedarkstranger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I (we) (well, she) ended up seeing a Korean doctor in Iksan.

You see, my fiance (a waygugin like myself) is pregnant. The doctor was kind and helpful and spoke passable English (although communication was a bit laborous at times). What struck me was that she didn't run tests on my fiance, nor give her any dietary, nutritional or other kinds of tips. No questions about her lifestyle, or if she drank or smoked or anything of that nature. She just gave us her congratulations and told us to come back in a few weeks to hear the heartbeat. Not a word about protein or vitamins or folic acid or ANYTHING like that. I thought that was a bit bizarre. Anyway, we're out of here in 39 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: