Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visas and stuff. Those in the know please help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peemil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Visas and stuff. Those in the know please help. Reply with quote

Hello. Everyone on this board always seems to know a lot more than me... Laughing But hey... That's life.

This is my problem at the moment.

I am coming back to the same school after a break. I have got my girlfriend a job at a nearby school so that next year we can live togethor.

Here's the thing. I want to get her contract all organised. I want it to be at least set in Korean stone. Then when the two of us go on holiday. We're going to Australia then the States she can get her visa done while she is at home. .

I am going to extend my contract for another year. This one being the third. I know... It's a good school. I really can't complain. They are rare in this country and I don't want to change. So here are my questions.

1. Can I extend my visa for another year? This being the third. I remember reading somewhere that if you do the third year at a school you have to go through the same process all over again.

2. My girlfriends visa. For this I am doing this mostly on my own. What do I need to get in Korea? What is the process? So that when we go to the states here visa can be processed and done.

I think that is all that has been worrying me. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why isn't your girlfriend's school doing her visa paperwork, and then just giving it to you, or sending it directly to her?
peemil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because... Like usual in Korea. I can get things done quicker than they can. If you want something done. Do it yourself.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peemil wrote:
Because... Like usual in Korea. I can get things done quicker than they can. If you want something done. Do it yourself.

Doesn't the visa have to be arranged with immigration by the school? How can you do it yourself?
Seoul Skye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To apply for the Certificate of Recognition of Visa Issuance (the "Blue Paper") your girlfriend's school will have to provide certain documents.

- employment contract
- Tax registration certificate
- substantiating documents for foundation of institution or organization

Also, she will need to fill in the application (see Immigration web site for downloadable forms) and provide her passport, 3 passport size photos, CV, and, ideally, a notorized copy of her university diploma. (original transcripts are actually more effective since Immigration is clued into the fact that many diplomas are fakes)

You have a better chance of getting the application processed more quickly and with reduced chances of rejection if the contract is written in both English and Korean and any other English docs are translated. Bear in mind that Immigration officials have the right to request further documentation so it's really better if someone from her school submits the application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: