Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denied E-2 Visa due to being overweight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stellarsky627

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Denied E-2 Visa due to being overweight? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever known someone or personally been denied an E-2 visa because of one's body weight? Or if you know if that would even be legal there in Korea?

I know on the EPIK contract it says something about blood pressure and being "fit" to be a teacher. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about being denied a visa because of one's weight.
sulperman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with and known people who have worked with some extremely overweight people over here. They had no problem.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Denied E-2 Visa due to being overweight? Reply with quote

stellarsky627 wrote:
Has anyone ever known someone or personally been denied an E-2 visa because of one's body weight? Or if you know if that would even be legal there in Korea?

I know on the EPIK contract it says something about blood pressure and being "fit" to be a teacher. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about being denied a visa because of one's weight.

Visa issue = NO

EMPLOYMENT issue = potential big YES

I have personally known people who were fired or left at the airport (by hakwons) for being "too large".

I have known people who have been terminated at a PS for being too "large" as well.

It won't be a problem with an E2 but Korea is not known for being especially tolerant about "non-normal" appearances.

That said, it is possible to get a decent job without the bias but the kids will forever be telling you that you are "FAT" and they aren't particularly polite about it. Political correctness (as foreigners perceive it) is NOT a Korean trait.

For the record, I am a bit overweight and have had to deal with it.
When I first arrived in Korea I was 5'8" and >220 lbs. This is a good place to loose weight though. Now down to a less unhealthy 180 lbs.

bocceman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.

I've lost 10 pounds in a month through a steady of diet of shame after I moved to Korea.
caylia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bocceman wrote:
This.

I've lost 10 pounds in a month through a steady of diet of shame after I moved to Korea.

That is one of the funniest posts I read here~

I am applying for an EPIK position, and I started running, and doing pushups and situps everyday!
sheba

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know plenty of people who are overwieght in korea... I am too, but never had any probs getting a job or visa. Kids and adults alike will make comments sometimes, but its not a daily or even weekly occurance.

They check your bloody pressure when you get the medical check... I was a bit flustered after walking through the hospital with my cup of pee, having my weight taken in a room full of people, and having the male physician blushing as he measured my chest. So they just kept telling me to breathe deeply and slowly and kept taking my blood pressure (4 times) until it read normally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: