Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you avoid recruiters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Do you avoid recruiters? Reply with quote

Seems like half the jobs and responses come from recruiters, and I'm wary of them myself although some of the jobs mentioned sound OK. I suppose one has to be careful anyway but is it most sensible to completely avoid recruiters? I'm currently looking for a new job and have a few recruiter numbers and job offers that look OK, but I'm nervous about even calling these people. I guess I prefer to contact the employer without any recruit agent involvement.
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't avoid them totally, I just don't trust them any farther than I can throw them.

They're in it for the money, and many (most?) would think nothing of leaving you high and dry. To them, you're a name and potential payday. Their loyalty to you exists as long as they can make money off you.

Having said that, I got my current job through a recruiter, and it's great. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe the recruiter was a stand-up guy. I wouldn't know because I don't trust any of them.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a recruiter, but she happens to be my friend so I know she won't screw me.

She has gotten two of my best friends awesome jobs here (one was a LAZY job sitting on his ars for one year at a computer) so I have faith in her 100% (well, 99.9%).
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a recruiter for my last job and he didn't really do much... just emailed me a few job descriptions and called me a few times then introduced me to the hogwan I was most interested in... and everything is rosy!

Being in Korea already, I was lucky to get to meet my director and colleagues before accepting the position. The recruiter just did the introduction and then the negotiations took place between me and the school directly.

You can't blame a bad job on a recruiter, unless they provide you with a lot of wrong information, but if six months into your contract, your boss screws you on overtime or something, you can't blame it on your recruiter.

Jajude, I'd be most wary of recruiters if I was not in Korea and looking for a job... but if some of the job descriptions, contracts etc sound good, then use the recruiter as a middle man to get an introduction to the school and take care of things yourself.
Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters are like used car salesmen. There are some honest ones, but the dishonest ones out there have given them all a bad name.

Personally, I would much rather do the job hunting myself.
asatruteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of some misques that were mainly dealing with their limited English and my limited Korean, my experience has turned out rather well so far.

Danny
melimelo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Any feedback on these recruiters? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these recruiters:

ATC (I have Clara working for me)
Think outside (Julian)
Footprints in the Sand.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm very cautious of recruiters - asking lots of questions.

Thanks
Andro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good experiences. Just shop around.
enceledus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
I use a recruiter, but she happens to be my friend so I know she won't screw me.

She has gotten two of my best friends awesome jobs here (one was a LAZY job sitting on his ars for one year at a computer) so I have faith in her 100% (well, 99.9%).

I'm not sure if you're still an active member, but would you possibly be able to hook me up with your friend? My girlfriend and I are looking for a job teaching in Korea, and want to live together while doing so. She is very qualified with a BA in childhood education, and over 1000 hours of classroom experience. I have a BS in Psychology, with experience in language acquisition. Please pm me or email me if you can help. [email protected] Thanks.
desttiny13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Hook me up Reply with quote

Can you tell me the name of your recruiter. I've been looking for awhile and concerned about the work conditions and would really appreciate any help you can give me. [email protected]
desttiny13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

As many of you know finding the right placement isn't always that simple and I've taught for many years and now want to take my skills to Korea. I don't want to waste my talent in a situation that I won't be able to use them.

Help..anyone know of any great places to reach out to for a teaching position. Any one know about Maple Bear in Seoul????
alexander-s

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Footprints (BC, Canada)

My wife had a good contract through them. Although they don't do much for help after you've gone still, the contract she got was a good one and she enjoyed her time. So much so we are thinking of going back together this time.
Darius

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me but this is my first post here, not even sure if Im posting in the right spot. I've been trolling for awhile, as until 2 months ago I had a f/t TOC gig. That dried up (more budget cuts in BC) so I decided to look to Korea as an experience. I called around to numerous recruiters and got some good information. The best by far was from Footprints. I had the pleasure of talking twice with Alexandra from their office. She even helped me with a rewrite of my lesson plan and essay for the EPIK application...that was last week.
I called this week to speak with Alexandra again as I had a few questions about the EPIK/SMOE convergance and I got the royal run around...look on the website, read the manual...no Alexandra Sad
I discovered, to my dismay, that she no longer works there. At last I had found a person who was willing to help me and answer my questions. Now I'm out in the cold again. Does this happen with all recruiters?
klis

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good recruiters in Korea that actually do want you to find a good job. However, just like everywhere in the world there are recruiters that are unfair. I would definitely check with other teachers regarding recruiters. When I first went to Korea I had a Guy Recruiter( I am not saying names or anything else but FYI not a Korean) said I could not get a Job in Seoul, I would have to settle for outside of Seoul. That was a heart ache. I checked with other recruiters and they all had different opinions. Point is there are some bad recruiters as well as good ones.

Good Luck !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: