Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

living expenses... realistically!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happeningthang

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: living expenses... realistically!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Im looking to head over to Korea in the near future, and have got SOOO many questions...

But to start with I'm curious to know what I can reasonably expect as a salary package, and how much of that is going to be gone on living a (reasonably hedonistic) life in Korea?

I'm straight from an Australian University with NO teaching experience to lay claim to. What would be a reasonable deal, and position to accept?

A little help here?

Thanks
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't be able to do much better than 2 million. 1.7 or 1.8 should be relatively easy to find but your options are a little limited if you have an australian accent. Most places prefer the North American accent.

A reasonable budget including the occassional taxi, a few restaurant meals and a night out every weekend will probably run you about 600 000 won. This really depends on how readily you spend. A million won a month should be enough for almost anyone but some people just spend as much as they make no matter what the amount.
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty good estimate, and echoes what my dad always told me..."you tend to spend what you have" (wait! that was a GENERAL "you," not ME, personally...oh...on second thought....) Very Happy

Plan on the 1.7-2.0 million for a basic salary. I asked my boss for a flate amount after all taxes, medical deductions, etc, so I know how much I'll be getting every month.

You can send over half of your paycheck home and still have a lot of fun. Since your apartment will be paid for, here are a few of the other estimates for bills, etc:

(this is what I paid for my place. It was 12 pyong)

Water: included in rent, so I didn't pay it. Shouldn't be over 10,000 if you do have to pay it.

Gas: in the summer, from 14,000 to 20,000
in the winter, from 30,000 to 65,000

Electricity: from 4,000 to 18,000 (I had a/c in the summers)

Phone: land line, calling locally, about 15,000
Phonecard: 25,000 each month 9 hours to call the US

Internet: ADSL Premium, 45,000

Satallite Cable: 18,000

So about 150,000 a month (if you even want all that stuff!)

personal spending:
Food 300,000
Travel (bus, train, taxi) 80,000
Entertainment (movies, museums, dates) 100,000
Medical 30,000
Contingency 50,000 (rolls over to vacation fund!)
Savings in Korea 200,000
To send home: 900,000

Anyway, this is just an idea of how you could spend your money. I'm not looking for someone to come attack me for spending a "whopping" 18,000 on cable, or how I should have a larger medical fund. This is just an informational post about what kinds of things you can spend $ on, and about how much some things cost (ie: utilities).

oh, one more note:
go for a M-F job (don't work those Saturdays!) and ask for no split-shifts. They just aren't worth the extra money...unless you get LOTS of money! The more kindergarten classes you have, the harder it will be. Kids over 8 are generally easier to work with because they've had some schooling and understand discipline a bit better.

Smile
happeningthang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: thanks you guys Reply with quote

I just want to say I appreciate the help that you've given. Thats exactly the sort of information I wanted.

CHEERS. Laughing
Sweet Zombie Jesus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
I asked my boss for a flate amount after all taxes, medical deductions, etc, so I know how much I'll be getting every month.

I was wondering about that. How much do those taxes etc add up to?
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was employed (I'm still here, just waiting for a real job, of which there are few, but they do exist) I was making 1.9 million, and saving about 800K a month, living quite comfortably, supporting me and my wife (who doesn't have a job at the moment), drinking when I pleased, eating well, etc. FWIW.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in about 1 million won per month. Some months its more and some its less but it averages out to this.

We save around 2.5 million a month but my wife also works.

By yourself, making 1.9, you should be able to save 1 million won a month.
Living on 600 000 won oper month is possible but a bit limiting, in my opinion anyway.
Living on 900 000 to a million won is more realistic.
Saxiif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get over 2 if you're working out in the boonies.
But yeah, living expenses are pretty low here, especially if you get free lunch and a lot of free dinners from work.
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You probably won't be able to do much better than 2 million. 1.7 or 1.8 should be relatively easy to find but your options are a little limited if you have an australian accent. Most places prefer the North American accent.

I just want to say welcome to another aussie. I honestly believe we need more non-north-american speakers here to show the ignorant koreans that english really is an international language.

Be prepared however to have so-called "english speaking" koreans not be able to understand you due to your accent. My accent is actually more pommy then aussie but they still have troubles.

In regards to your question: it depends on what you eat and what you want to do on weekends. Noodles are cheap, meat is bloody expensive. A couple of nice chops or steaks will set you back a packet.

Going out can be a real money drainer with some night-clubs asking 30 - 40 000 Won just to sit down with a bowl of fruit.

Thats the situation here anyway. Might be cheaper in soeul. Where are you headed?

Good luck. Have a Mrs Macs Meat pie for me before you leave Aussie OK? With tomato sauce.
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: To save or to live? Reply with quote

If you want to live very frugally in Korea and sock away the savings, that's surely possible.

I've saved precious little after two-and-a-half years here, and frankly don't regret it.

Go ahead and live a little in Korea, if you can: It's worth it!

An apartment of one's one . . .

Plenty of good meals at Bennigan's, the Steakhouse, the various "ethnic" joints in Itaewon . . .

Mad spending sprees at Kyobo on an idle Sunday afternoon . . .

Flights out to Bangkok, Beijing, or wherever your heart desires come Chusok, summer break, or whenever else you can get away . . .

Women . . .

Wine . . .

And song.

Or go ahead and save, if you like. It's your life!

TF
2CuteNCanadian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to say welcome to another aussie. I honestly believe we need more non-north-american speakers here to show the ignorant koreans that english really is an international language.

I totally agree.....The more Aussies the better....That accent is soooo damn sexy!!!
pichon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day mate Twisted Evil
Openfire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a new aussie too! Smile
liz88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do many people teach private english lessons in Korea while they teach at a school?
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz88 wrote:
do many people teach private english lessons in Korea while they teach at a school?

What do you mean by "many"? From the people that I've talked to, I'd guess that less than a quarter of NETs with an E2 visa teach privates on the side. Of those who DO teach some privates, it seems to me that the vast majority only teach a few extra hours on the weekends or evenings. I've only met a few E2 holders that were teaching privates more than 15 hours per week. I think that it's most common among university teachers and least common among hogwon teachers.

That's just my impression so don't ask for stats or numbers on that. I could be way off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: