Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I thought paid airfare was a law -- guess I was wrong?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: I thought paid airfare was a law -- guess I was wrong? Reply with quote

I just interviewed with a school in Seoul that offered airfare 1-way only (either to or from Korea). It is one of the largest chain schools in Korea.

I thought that the school was responsible for returning you home if they let you go, for example. Not basing anything on fact -- just heresay. Interested in learning the facts.

Also, their teachers worked a split between 7am and 9:30pm. Wow. No housing -- just 5 million in Key Money and 150,000 compensation.

Surprised they can get anyone for this, but they must.

The school was very high-class and located in a rich area of Seoul. Classes were one-on-one with a single student at a time for 25 minutes each. You would teach 11 classes a day.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, let me guess, YBM.........
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paid airfare is not law just custom particularily among hogwans. As I understand it, most universities do not pay airfare.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I understand it, most universities do not pay airfare.

Most universities won't pitch in for taxi fare from the airport! KK's right... plenty of jobs don't supply airfare. And the fact they don't doesn't necessarily mean they're sucky jobs.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek's brought up an interesting point. I can handle the idea of paying for my own plane ticket, and in fact that is what I did for my last job. But I wonder how many hagwans/unis out there say to their employers, "Here's some money, find your own housing." That could be really daunting to someone fresh off the plane.

I may or may not have interviewed at the same place Derrek did awhile ago. It too was in a really bizzy place in Seoul and not only did they say we'll subsidize only SOME of your rent, but you'll be paid by the hour too.

Yikes. Glad I wasn't feeling desperate to take that job.

katy
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid my own airfare for my current job. And I'll have to pay my own airfare when I leave, as well.

As long as something else balances it out(higher pay rate), it's fine.
jsmac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
As I understand it, most universities do not pay airfare.

Most universities won't pitch in for taxi fare from the airport! KK's right... plenty of jobs don't supply airfare. And the fact they don't doesn't necessarily mean they're sucky jobs.

Quite so. My university only offered a reimbursement for one-way airfare (which has been tendered as promised in the first month, btw), and it's a fantastic job. I'm new here, but everyone else (19 others) has at least a year here and we all agree the conditions are excellent.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Never thought Reply with quote

Never thought about the University jobs ... never really looked into them. Currently trying to find some hours that go well with evening classes I'm taking in Computer Networking. I don't want a ton of grading and homework. Might go the kindie route.

I was still amazed that they seriously want someone to work such a horrible split (7am-9:30pm) -- apparently some must go for this. Now I know why their ad here on Dave's didn't specify hours -- few would contact them, I think. Funnier still, during the interview, the Korean lady said the hours so fast, I had to ask her twice to repeat them! The rest of her English was great, and I had this weird feeling like she was trying to fly quicly by the subject *laugh*. It was like, this:

Me: What are the hours?
Interviewer: "The hours are 7am to bhlbbalbhbllh."
Me: "I'm sorry, please say again?"
Interviewer: "7am to blahahhahha"
Me: "I'm sorry, did you say 7am to 6:30pm?"
Interviewer: "No, 7am to 9:30".

If the hours were lower, and if they offered more than 5 million key month and 150,000 reimbusement for housing, I'd find this job very appealing. Especially since the classes are "one-on-one" Business English classes.

The place was very high-class though. I could see the appeal for Koreans to take classes there. I'm sure they pay through the nose.

They did offer free Korean classes though, which is something to consider, although I have no idea when you'd have time to take them -- Saturdays I guess?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: I had read Reply with quote

I had read somewhere that *by law* the school had to provide the means to return home upon the contract being finished.

I do know that Korea makes the hogwon sign a contract with the government to ensure there are not foreigners stuck in Korea and forced to work illegally.
rick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who hate teaching kids and who don't have the qualifications or connections to get university jobs, then we have no choice but to accept those split shifts. If you want to teach adults outside of a university, you almost always have splits. I'd still rather have splits than teach kids.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Airfare???? Reply with quote

Here's the scoop. ALL businesses in korea, who hire foreigners MUST sign a sponsor form with Immigration BEFORE Immigration will issue a visa. The businesses have to pay a lawyer to draw up the paperwork, etc. This form states that: "You will be responsible for all housing, maintenance and airfare for the person they are sponsoring." Most foreigners do not know this or know korean law. Businesses also know that foreign employees don't know the law and of course take advantage of them. You need to remind the boss that they signed a sponsor form and that you'll file a complaint with the labor board. Go to the labor board with your contract and let them handle it.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sponsoring liability you speak of only means the employer has to make sure you have it, not that they pay for it.

They can, legally, arrange for the airfare and housing but deduct that from the wages as long as the employee is notified.

As well, for larger companies they are limited to the number of "runaways" they have. If too many employees overstay their visa, the company may be denied new sponsorships. THat's often why you'll hear about how companies suddenly deport employees shortly before their visas expire. This is common in the manufacturing sector and isn't a factor in our sector due to our low numbers of foreign employees per company.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that clears that up then now doesn't it?
etzel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Split shifts Reply with quote

rick wrote:
For those of us who hate teaching kids and who don't have the qualifications or connections to get university jobs, then we have no choice but to accept those split shifts. If you want to teach adults outside of a university, you almost always have splits. I'd still rather have splits than teach kids.

Just a thought. Why cannot teacher(s) be assigned for the early shift(s), and other ones for the late shifts? Some people are 'early birds', others are 'night owls'. This is on the assumption there are enough students for all shifts. Personally, when I will apply for a position (yes, I will be a Newbie, about to do my TEFL course), I won't accept split shifts nor week-end work.

Etzel
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Split shifts Reply with quote

etzel wrote:
rick wrote:

Just a thought. Why cannot teacher(s) be assigned for the early shift(s), and other ones for the late shifts? Some people are 'early birds', others are 'night owls'. This is on the assumption there are enough students for all shifts. Personally, when I will apply for a position (yes, I will be a Newbie, about to do my TEFL course), I won't accept split shifts nor week-end work.

Etzel

Then you will be doing an evening shift 2-10 teaching kids.... nature of the business...

Adult classes are split shifts because the (the adults) have to work in the day so there is 1 or 2 hours of early morning classes and then more classes after they finish work. 6-10 (total of 6 hours per day)

Teaching kids without kindergarten means afternoon/evening shifts (after they finish school). 2-10pm

Kindy/elementary means little ones in the AM and elementary in the afternoon with a longish lunch (90 minutes or 2 hours instead of 1 hour.)
10am-7pm

Making demands without understanding the nature of the business means you won't find a job. ESL in a hakwon is NOT about education. It is about making money and keeping the customer (parents) happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: