Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The most haunted places in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? I've had a few sips of soju and got some free time so I'll share a lil story...

My hobby takes me to remote locations around Korea where battles and skirmishes of the Korean War have taken place. One particular place was deep in the country where the scars of fox holes and explosions are still visible. I was slowly hiking up a slight and gradual ridge during a warm, sunny day just like all the other dozens of places I've visited and all was normal.
Except this once.
As I was walking along a long unused trail and stepped off it to the right just a bit and as soon as I did I felt like I had crossed some kind of barrier or wall and I was hit with a most awful rush of feelings and emotions. I guess it was kind of like walking on frozen lake and suddenly falling through the ice. It was that sudden and powerful of a jolt.
The feelings/emotions were a crazy mix of anguish, anger, dread, horror and whatever else I can't even put into words.
I took 3 large quick steps out of it, and just like that. Gone. It was like an area a meter in diameter of...I dunno..."evil" I guess. I didn't think about it too much at the time or look back but kept walking at a faster pace for a short time. I just wanted to put some distance between whatever that was and myself.

Make whatever you like of it.

The place was a little town called Chipyong, about 20 minutes north of Yeoju, where a very important and deadly battle took place called, "The Battle of Chipyong-ni" in Feb. of '51. American and French forces were COMPLETELY surrounded by Chinese and naturally the death toll was horrendous. A mass grave of Chinese was found not far from my little "pocket of ghosties".

That was the first and only time and I still visit places like that. Hope ya like the story.
sesyeux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_pizza wrote:
Why not? I've had a few sips of soju and got some free time so I'll share a lil story...

My hobby takes me to remote locations around Korea where battles and skirmishes of the Korean War have taken place. One particular place was deep in the country where the scars of fox holes and explosions are still visible. I was slowly hiking up a slight and gradual ridge during a warm, sunny day just like all the other dozens of places I've visited and all was normal.
Except this once.
As I was walking along a long unused trail and stepped off it to the right just a bit and as soon as I did I felt like I had crossed some kind of barrier or wall and I was hit with a most awful rush of feelings and emotions. I guess it was kind of like walking on frozen lake and suddenly falling through the ice. It was that sudden and powerful of a jolt.
The feelings/emotions were a crazy mix of anguish, anger, dread, horror and whatever else I can't even put into words.
I took 3 large quick steps out of it, and just like that. Gone. It was like an area a meter in diameter of...I dunno..."evil" I guess. I didn't think about it too much at the time or look back but kept walking at a faster pace for a short time. I just wanted to put some distance between whatever that was and myself.

The place was a little town called Chipyong, about 20 minutes north of Yeoju, where a very important and deadly battle took place called, "The Battle of Chipyong-ni" in Feb. of '51. American and French forces were COMPLETELY surrounded by Chinese and naturally the death toll was horrendous. A mass grave of Chinese was found not far from my little "pocket of ghosties".

cool story. similar thing happened to me when i visited the somme battlefields from the first world war. something like over a million soldiers were killed in what amounted to little more than a strategic retreat by the germans, brutal stuff. upon walking into a certain area, there was a distinctly unsettling feel to it. i'm not one for stuff like this, but all of a sudden i had to get away pretty sharpish
kimchi_pizza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sesyeux wrote:
cool story. similar thing happened to me when i visited the somme battlefields from the first world war. something like over a million soldiers were killed in what amounted to little more than a strategic retreat by the germans, brutal stuff. upon walking into a certain area, there was a distinctly unsettling feel to it. i'm not one for stuff like this, but all of a sudden i had to get away pretty sharpish

Thanks brother. It's always good to hear a little affirmation so that I don't think I was completely off my rocker. ha!
Forever

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groznyji wrote:
fortysixyou wrote:
Groznyji wrote:
Sergio Stefanuto wrote:
The French are famous for their superb taste, so you won't find any in Korea.

What a nasty comment. It also happens to be wrong.

Why the deuce did you resurrect this thread?

You just wanted to point out that something a poster said a year ago is wrong?

I didn't even notice the date when I commented. I found this thread while looking for haunted places, saw the comment, and felt that I should point out that Korea is not in any way inferior to any other country in matters as subjective as "taste." I thought it was a mean, not to mention false, comment and saw that no one challenged it. I wanted to add my two cents, that's all.

But basically, yes. I wanted to point out that something a poster said a year ago is both wrong and mean.

The thread was a ghost - thats what he/she was looking for (and found).

If you want to meet ghosts/spirits just start playing with a Ouija board, the ghosts will come to you very quickly.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas pars wrote:
nightshade is what socrates drank to kill himself. go ahead and drink it. i am sure you'll have a great trip.

I thought he drank hemlock. Confused Confused
shinramyun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio Stefanuto wrote:
Yaya wrote:
Anyplace where the Brits or French hang out.

The French are famous for their superb taste, so you won't find any in Korea.

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fail.

Try again, troll.
Cerulean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reviving this.
reactionary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
thomas pars wrote:
nightshade is what socrates drank to kill himself. go ahead and drink it. i am sure you'll have a great trip.

I thought he drank hemlock. Confused Confused

But then he wouldn't be able to mention Socrates in this thread. Sad
Kiwigoddess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else got anything to add to this thread now that I have pulled it up from the dungeon? lol
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other paranormal places in Korea? UFO hotspots? Crop circles?
sublunari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my younger students, who happens to be among the most boring people I have ever encountered--he doesn't seem to have any strong opinions about anything except the inveterate evil of the Japanese--once told me during one of our sessions together, as I was falling asleep while trying to excite his interest in something, that he had seen a trio of UFOs flying over the 소금강산 mountains in Gyeongju during a rather memorable late-afternoon thunderstorm last Fall. He was driving around with his mom. They both saw them. I believe one was red, one was orange, and one was green. They were as large as houses, and they also had classic "flying saucer" shapes. He says that as soon as he started taking grainy pictures of them on his old cellphone, they seemed to notice, and vanished into a kind of interdimensional flashing powder. His mother refuses to discuss the encounter. She also refuses to discuss anything except the genius of her son.

I had a look at the pictures, and they were no different from any other terrible UFO photos, but I believe he saw something. I told a bunch of my fellow Gyeongjuans about this encounter and learned from one of them that the 소금강산s are the sight of Ichadon's Martyrdom, which is the best story from Korean mythology (in my opinion). It's also serving as the opening of an ebook I'm about to publish on the subject, something I would like to mention on the forum without the thread getting deleted by the moderators...

My suspicion is that my student saw some kind of ball lightning, since the encounter took place during a thunderstorm. This cracked article seems to debunk the idea of ghosts pretty thoroughly, and may also help explain UFO sightings.

I'd also like to add, for the haters, that I've run into two native French people here in Korea. One was an engineer at some sort of really fancy physics laboratory in the outskirts of Busan and another was teaching French at a hagwon or something (I barely spoke to either of them). Haeundae is also teeming with Europeans who are not involved in ESL. So, yeah, there are French people around, though you may not have run into them.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are some of you people? Ghost stories? Really? You know that when the brain dies consciousness dies too, right? There's nothing left. Or do you believe the spirit of the cow is watching over your shoulder every time you eat a steak or a burger. This whole afterlife silliness is the height of species-ist arrogance. When a chimp is dead it's dead. When you die you're dead too.

Sorry to have to be the adult in the room.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublunari wrote:
This cracked article seems to debunk the idea of ghosts pretty thoroughly, and may also help explain UFO sightings.

I highly recommend Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. It really goes a long way to discrediting tales of alien visitations, ghosts, abductions etc. It's sad that scientific explanations for events are readily available, and that these explanations can be immediately accessed by a simple google search. Yet so many people (university graduates nonetheless) would rather embrace metaphysical silliness as an 'explanation' for said phenomenon.

I also recommend Richard Dawkins documentary, The Enemies of Reason. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyMglakWoo
rockbilly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Sorry, kids! Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
How old are some of you people? Ghost stories? Really? You know that when the brain dies consciousness dies too, right? There's nothing left. Or do you believe the spirit of the cow is watching over your shoulder every time you eat a steak or a burger. This whole afterlife silliness is the height of species-ist arrogance. When a chimp is dead it's dead. When you die you're dead too.

Sorry to have to be the adult in the room.

You're the only kid in the room (apart from the guy following you, with his ridiculous reference to Dawkins).

Materialism is a hypothesis, nothing more. It conflicts with quantum physics, which shows us the material world dissolving into nothing. Quantum physics is pretty old-hat now, too. You arch-materialists haven't caught up with the 20th century, let alone the 21st.
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimchi_pizza wrote:

Except this once.

That was the first and only time and I still visit places like that. Hope ya like the story.

Great story! Got a chill reading it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: