Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tattoos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genaureliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

Hey I'm in Cheonan and looking for the closest tattoo parlor. Is there one here or will I have to go into seoul? Peace.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I heard about a tatoo parlour in Sinchon. Apparently the guy's portfolio was really good.

Anyone checked it out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy that does them in Cheong ju, around a half an hour south of Cheonan. He doesn't speak a whole lot of English though, and you'd need an appointment.

Most people say that it's better to get them done in Japan.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:

Whew, well thank God I'm not most people and can form my own opinions. Have most people had a lot of tattoos done in Japan and Korea, so they could make such valid statements?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
There's a guy that does them in Cheong ju, around a half an hour south of Cheonan. He doesn't speak a whole lot of English though, and you'd need an appointment.

Usually higher quality but mad expensive. Hong Kong is cheaper - sometimes iffy, depending where you go. Guam would be ideal - not too far away, more expensive than the mainland US, buthella cheaper than Korea, Japan and Hong Kong.

Taiwan - just don't bother unless getting HEP'TITUS or HIV is your bag. 99% of the blokes I saw doing it reused needles - int eh same shot - on different folks who didn't know better. The island's best artist, "Da Mao" or "Big Cat," charges an arm and a leg, but not as pricey as Hong Kong or Japan, but more expensive than Guam. Joe will hit Guam in the summer or early Fall for more ink.

Joe

has advised
Shincheon_Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google says:

Tatoos:

http://www.tat2mark.com/information.htm

http://www.tat2studios.com/international/skorea.html

If you want holes in you:
http://koreapiercing.com/index.html
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hong Kong is cheaper...

"Cheap" is not something I've considered when getting tatoos. Is there any reason you have to have it now? Why not wait until you get back to your home country? That is, if you're not trying to skip Korean military service.

Incidentally, here's an interview with a tatoo artist from Seoul. Seems the powers-that-be have been giving him a bit of trouble b/c of his occupation.

http://www.lifeinkorea.org/writing/read.php3?readnum=99&page=0&pagecount=0&search=&searchsel=&sec=3
komtengi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea only doctors are legally allowed to perform tattoos... there are plenty of places in and around Shinchon and Ewha where tats are done.
There is a place in Hapjong that does the better work in Korea.
Personally Japan, the States or back in Oz would be where I'd get my work done
jaebea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good friend of mine got a vertical line of tattos on her lower belly, along the front side of her hip, off centre.

When she'd put on her bikini bathers on at the pool, she'd cop all sorts of funny looks. The characters would peep out from the top and the bottom of the bikini bottoms. Got hers done in Australia for a few hundred I think.

Another guy I know of has a very big one across a shoulder, spanning chest, back, and upper arms, of sakura blossoms. He got that done in Japan.

I'm more interested in a brow piercing at the moment, might get one done pretty soon.. :)

As for the OP, you can probably open up a few more possibilities in the big smoke (Seoul), but I think the better artwork (and hence better range for the consumer; you) is in Japan.

Gangster culture in HongKong and Japan have promoted the development of some amazing and intricate tattoo designs and colours. Well worth a look if you're after a bigger piece.

jae.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piercings are so, like, nineties. Unless they're through your neck, which is cool in and of itself, whatever that may mean.
Shincheon_Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a girlfriend that had a smurf pushing a lawnmower and cutting her "grass". Funny tat.
batman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean attitudes towards tats are amusing.
I used to get a kick out of the reaction I would get when I showed mine to my students.
Piercings are so 90's? Could be. After all that was when I got mine done.

Interesting story from DDD.
One question though.
The artists made this statement:
" Korean��s really think their bodies are important. Because, you know, its not our body, its our families body, our bodies belong to our parents."
Now I know that Korean parents use this concept as a justification for the murder of their children (parent suicide/child murder) but does anyone really think that our bodies are not important?
And, if Koreans really think that their bodies are important, how does this idea justify their cultural affinity for alcohol, excessive smoking and disdain for exercise?

I haven't had a new tat done since coming to Korea.
Been wanting one for a while now but will wait until I get back home.
Saw a couple of good looking shops while I lived in Japan but was not inspired by the artists.
While in Thailand I wondered about the cleanliness of the facilities.
(Plus a Thai friend of mine said not to get it done in Thailand because the excessive humidity interferes with the healing process.)
So two more months I will be home and getting nailed by the hummingbird.
genaureliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

animalbirdfish wrote:
Quote:
Hong Kong is cheaper...

"Cheap" is not something I've considered when getting tatoos. Is there any reason you have to have it now? Why not wait until you get back to your home country? That is, if you're not trying to skip Korean military service.

Incidentally, here's an interview with a tatoo artist from Seoul. Seems the powers-that-be have been giving him a bit of trouble b/c of his occupation.

http://www.lifeinkorea.org/writing/read.php3?readnum=99&page=0&pagecount=0&search=&searchsel=&sec=3

i'm not going home for a while. I have something I want done and I figured Korea would be a great place to have the experience. No time like the present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: