Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Edubest Job info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Great Edubest Job info Reply with quote

I'm leaving Korea July 5th after teaching here nearly two years. My job is available. If you are looking, it would be wise to read this.

I have worked, and just quit working, at CDI AND an after school program-full time job run by a company named Edubest. This company staffs after school programs at Korean public schools.

This post is about Edubest specifically the program at Songnea Elementary School in Seoul.

No one asked me to do this, but, I wanted to because these forums are are so negative, have little positive information about employers and my company was really great to work for.

Simply put, Edubest was a fantastic teaching job. The employer is super nice and HONEST.

I was always paid two days after my scheduled payday. This was because the Korean public elementary school I worked at was responsible for paying me and it always really late in paying. However, Edubest would pay me out of their own pocket as soon as it was apparent that the elementary school was late. I did not have to ask, they just did it.

The hours: M-F, 1pm to 5pm. 4 x 50 minute classes. I arrived at 12:59 and left 4:51. No prep. No copies. No b.s.

The pay: 2.6 mil, no housing, no pension, but yes health insurance and they will give key money up to 5 mill.

The students: 10-18 or so elementary kids. 4 classes based on age andor English level. I have taught elementary to middle school while in Korea. For me, it was an easy choice on which is more enjoyable. These elementary kids were GREAT! Today I had one class write sentences on the board and we checked them for grammar as a class. One sentence was "I love Nick and English class". Trust me, nobody that knows me would describe me as "lovable". In short, I really had fun teaching these children.

If I received complaints from parents, I never heard about it from the my company. Parents bring in food, coffee, candy. Many have come to me and thanked me for teaching their children.

The classroom is nice and has a big screen tv, computer and landline phone. There is AC but is has only worked one time this summer. I heard that the last teacher went and complained to the principal and they turned it on for him. I just haven't gotten irritated enough yet to do so.

I have a co teacher. She is the second one in 7 months. Both were/are very nice and helpful. One booked my vacation and helped me on other personal things she did not have to do. I still see her occasionally and consider her a friend. (She offered to take me to the airport when I leave)

The company staff/boss: VERY NICE. HELPFUL AND HONEST. My understanding is that this company is owned by Mrs. Cho. There are about 70 or so foreign teachers about the same number of Korean co teachers. I think "Jenny" is in charge of foreign teacher HR. Very nice lady.

The books/methodology: Clear difference between this program and CDI. The CDI methodology is superior. Much more organized. More learning done there as the kids are more motivated and the curriculum is way better. At my school, I was given books a schedule to follow and told to "teach". Books are not great and sometimes are just plain bad. When this is the case, you are free to adjust and improvise. I did a lot of that.

No one monitors you. I am the only whitey at the school and the regular Korean school staff does not interfere. My Englishee be the best there. I've only seen the principle one time maybe two times. The extend of the conversation was "HI"

The looseness of the program really gives you a lot of freedom to teach how you want. My understanding is that only experienced teachers are hired.

Clothing: No dress code as far as I know. I wear sweats in the winter time. Shorts and t shirt in summer. If they don't like this, no one has let me know. I know for a fact that the last teacher did the same.

BTW, I broke my contract with them and am leaving early as I took a non teaching job back home. There was no drama when I told them. I gave a months notice.

If anyone wants more info about this job, please PM me. It is a great opportunity and a very nice place to work.

Please don't call BS on this post and flame me. Every bit true and unsolicited. Not written by a Korean. You can probably tell by the writing style and my unknowingly made grammar mistakes that I am a product of the U.S.A.
ilovemunchies

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: I know this post is old ++ Reply with quote

I'm really glad to hear that you had a positive experience teaching in Korea! I'm looking to teach English in Korea and have had some difficulties in getting a contract that I am happy with.

If possible, can you please PM b/c I have some questions but haven't posted my minimum 25 posts? THanks!
Ukon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree....they're one of the few decent after school programs....I don't like most of their mandated lesson plans however...other than that....they're reliable.
ilovemunchies

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Do you know where I can find any open Edubest positions? Reply with quote

I can't seem to find any Edubest websites online...THanks!
Murakano

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Edubest Job info Reply with quote

nwise wrote:

Simply put, Edubest was a fantastic teaching job. The employer is super nice and HONEST.

The pay: 2.6 mil, no housing, no pension, but yes health insurance and they will give key money up to 5 mill.

My understanding is that pension and insurance go hand in hand and you can`t have one without the other. Are/were you on a private health insurance just out of interest?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private insurance costs the school 8,000 won a month. As you can guess, it doesn't cover much.
oskinny1

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: I know this post is old ++ Reply with quote

ilovemunchies wrote:
I'm really glad to hear that you had a positive experience teaching in Korea! I'm looking to teach English in Korea and have had some difficulties in getting a contract that I am happy with.

If possible, can you please PM b/c I have some questions but haven't posted my minimum 25 posts? THanks!

You pulled up a thread from a year ago. The guy hasn't posted since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: