Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC Pukdaegu in Daegu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
launchpad

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: ECC Pukdaegu in Daegu Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I am a first time teacher and I just got a job offer for ECC Pukdaegu in Daegu..just wonderiing do any of ye guys know of them...any experience with them good/bad/indifferent??..cheers
Strike

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also going out to teach in Daegu shortly, but for CDL. Don't want to hijack your thread, but rather than start another one on a similar topic, I would appreciate any feedback on teaching in Daegu in general. I've accepted the position and the Visa is being processed so if CDL are a nightmare to work for etc, then it's too late to change anyway.
smoggy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daegu has 3mil people and is a very congested city. There is a sports center with soccer and tennis available. There are plenty of mountains and Palgongson is 1 hour away by bus. The main activity is in downtown, and there is a fast subway that you can take. Be sure to buy a subway pass and keep it filled up, especially if you like the drinking/social scene. The Holy Grail is the main bar and there is lots of shopping to be had all downtown. There is a great expat group that you can find. I lived in Seongseo area of Daegu. You are 1 3/4 hours away from Seoul by KTX, but it takes 40 mins to get to the train station & 1 hour from Busan.

ECC has lots of paper work and grading of tests twice monthly with commentary sheets due. The books are terrible with lots of mistakes. They don't give you much time for creativity as 30 mins of the 40 min. lesson must be done from the book. You have 5 mins. break and you don't have a 40 min. period off, so you work 7-9 classes on Mon. & Fri. and 3-5 classes Tues. through Thurs. Most complained about lack of time to eat dinner.
3 of the teachers left after 5-7 months. It is a business and all they seem to care about is $$$. I think that your school is downtown.
The apts. are ok, but there is lots of mold, so you will need to invest in plenty of Chlorox and mosquito juice is very important from now until Oct.
There are many farmers markets, and they are cheap. E-mart is expensive. The Homeplus is a major supermarket.
Strike

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoggy wrote:
Daegu has 3mil people and is a very congested city. There is a sports center with soccer and tennis available. There are plenty of mountains and Palgongson is 1 hour away by bus. The main activity is in downtown, and there is a fast subway that you can take. Be sure to buy a subway pass and keep it filled up, especially if you like the drinking/social scene. The Holy Grail is the main bar and there is lots of shopping to be had all downtown. There is a great expat group that you can find. I lived in Seongseo area of Daegu. You are 1 3/4 hours away from Seoul by KTX, but it takes 40 mins to get to the train station & 1 hour from Busan.

Much appreciated.
launchpad

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoggy wrote:

ECC has lots of paper work and grading of tests twice monthly with commentary sheets due. The books are terrible with lots of mistakes. They don't give you much time for creativity as 30 mins of the 40 min. lesson must be done from the book. You have 5 mins. break and you don't have a 40 min. period off, so you work 7-9 classes on Mon. & Fri. and 3-5 classes Tues. through Thurs. Most complained about lack of time to eat dinner.
3 of the teachers left after 5-7 months. It is a business and all they seem to care about is $$$. I think that your school is downtown.
The apts. are ok, but there is lots of mold, so you will need to invest in plenty of Chlorox and mosquito juice is very important from now until Oct.
There are many farmers markets, and they are cheap. E-mart is expensive. The Homeplus is a major supermarket.

Thanks for the info..Ive got some thinking to do..Ive been looking for a number of weeks and this is the first offer I have gotten. I was almost prepared to give up.. anyone else with any thoughts/info on the school
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware that the mid term break starts in about 60 days and the major hiring for the fall term will start shortly. This is one of the slowest times to be looking for work in Korea.

Patience may be your best friend at this juncture.

launchpad

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that..Thanks for the info!
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!!!
I interviewed with this school recently and wondered if there was anything new to add about this workplace??

Thx!
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoggy wrote:
Daegu has 3mil people and is a very congested city. There is a sports center with soccer and tennis available. Palgongson is 1 hour away by bus. The main activity is in downtown, and there is a fast subway that you can take. The Holy Grail is the main bar and there is lots of shopping to be had all downtown. You are 1 3/4 hours away from Seoul by KTX, but it takes 40 mins to get to the train station & 1 hour from Busan.
I think that your school is downtown.
The apts. are ok, but there is lots of mold, so you will need to invest in plenty of Chlorox

E-mart is expensive.

Every word of this is false, unless you live on the exact same block as this guy, which... you won't. Buk-gu is much closer to the action than Seongeo.
stever1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FaceFaceFace wrote:
Hi!!!
I interviewed with this school recently and wondered if there was anything new to add about this workplace??

Thx!

I'm wondering the same. Any positive comments, or is it a school to stay away from?
FaceFaceFace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't too jazzed with the contract, but I only gave it a cursory glance as I'd already just accepted a contract elsewhere. Seemed like a lot of hours.
stever1000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely has a lot of hours...

Can anyone comment on the current reputation of the school?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: