Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

skin problems
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bithy75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: skin problems Reply with quote

Just wondering...has anyone here had skin problems since coming to Korea? Back home (USA), I had the occasional blemish, but nothing serious. Now, my skin is a mess! Is it too much spicy/salty food? I really like Korean food and I eat lots of spicy stuff. Air pollution? Bad water? I don't drink the tap water, but I wonder if they use tap water for soups and stuff in restaurants. I just don't know what to do about it!!
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you because actually I've experienced the opposite. The air and water can't be good, but my skin is better here anyway. It's possible you're reacting to something you're eating, although I don't think there's any reason that just spicy food in general is bad for the skin.
seoulmon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just wondering...has anyone here had skin problems since coming to Korea? Back home (USA), I had the occasional blemish, but nothing serious. Now, my skin is a mess! Is it too much spicy/salty food? I really like Korean food and I eat lots of spicy stuff. Air pollution? Bad water? I don't drink the tap water, but I wonder if they use tap water for soups and stuff in restaurants. I just don't know what to do about it!!

I was actually going to do a same sort of post too. I just got back from my skin doctor and had a skin issue delt with. luckily the problem has been resolved.

My friend though developed rosasia(sp?) here, which is actually a pretty serious condition.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, the Korean food is very good for your skin, especially kimchi (no sarcasm here). However, the pollution is not good. Use a moisturizer on your face. Also, going to the sauna will help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seoulmon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From my understanding, the Korean food is very good for your skin, especially kimchi (no sarcasm here). However, the pollution is not good. Use a moisturizer on your face. Also, going to the sauna will help.

Maybe. It depends on the skin condition. Are we talking acne?
wylde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulmon wrote:
Quote:

Maybe. It depends on the skin condition. Are we talking acne?

i think i have seen the most acne here over anywhere else i have been Laughing
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get em from stress. Culture shock and reverse culture shock really does it to me. Have you ever lived overseas before?
wylde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean on koreans
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pollution really does a number on your skin, it's brutal. it's really worth it to invest in some good skin care products. Biotherm is pretty good and not too pricey.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the pollution - stop exaggerating. Stress is the most likely cause and yes, my skin is perfect, if only as a reflection of myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course stress can make your skin freak out, but polution is also really bad for your skin. In fact pollution or "really dirty air" is pretty much hard on everything. Stress does cause breakouts, but those breakouts are usually quite different from the ones that are caused by pollution; different areas on the face, different sized pimples, ect
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four words for ya: go to the sauna.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain it's acne? I have had fungal heat rash, contact dermatitis (which never did clear up until I got out of Korea!) and flea bites.
bithy75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: thanks for the replies Reply with quote

Hello all,

Thanks for all your advice. One of you asked what kind of skin problem:acne. I guess it's probably a combination of things, including air pollution, stress, etc. It's not the first time I've lived overseas, but I've definitely been more stressed here than I was in my previous overseas experience. I've started going to the sauna more often. It doesn't seem to be helping that much though.
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should check with a dermatologist. I mean relying on advice related to skin problems on this board is like hiring someone without a degree in TESOL, English or Education to teach English.......Oh, we're in Korea.....never mind. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: