Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenna80ss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Vacation Time Reply with quote

Confused
I went to the efl-law website and it was so mind opening, but I am really bad at legal jargon, so if someone could possibly help me out here.
In my contract, there is no mention about one day a month of paid leave for every month I work. All is says is that holidays and vacation will be observed with the school's schedule. So, my question is two fold.
1). As far as National Holidays, are they considered my paid leave? So, if a National Holiday fell on a Friday, am I still eligible for another day off, or is that it?
2). When we had Winter break for Christmas, we were given three days of school off and then the two day weekend. Would those three days be counted as my paid leave, or do I get to arrange me own vacation time above what the school gives me. I am a bit confused by this.
thanks for all the help.
I have been learning so much by reading from this site.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Quote:
I went to the efl-law website and it was so mind opening, but I am really bad at legal jargon, so if someone could possibly help me out here.

O.K. I will try.

Quote:
In my contract, there is no mention about one day a month of paid leave for every month I work. All is says is that holidays and vacation will be observed with the school's schedule. So, my question is two fold.

Hmm...

Quote:
1). As far as National Holidays, are they considered my paid leave? So, if a National Holiday fell on a Friday, am I still eligible for another day off, or is that it?

National holidays are not considered your paid leave. If your boss says otherwise, tell him the labour laws state differently.

Quote:
2). When we had Winter break for Christmas, we were given three days of school off and then the two day weekend. Would those three days be counted as my paid leave, or do I get to arrange me own vacation time above what the school gives me. I am a bit confused by this.

In my experience, the school gives you a holiday when they have the time.

That being said, you shold have asked them during that time.

but, you didn't, so it kind of complicates things now.

Were you paid for those three days?

If so, they could say "those three days were part of your holiday".

Hope I have been at least somewhat helpful.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Holidatys are not considered part of your paid leave unless they fall during the period of vacation. So if the school decides to schedule vacation at a time when a National Holiday is in the vacation time, you can't double dip.
If you work weekends (or either of the days) then the time that you have for vacation can include those days as part of your leave entitlement, not as extras. If you only work Mon-Fri then the weekends are as usual, days off.
The number of days leave you are entitled to depends on what is in your contract. Some give fully paid National Holidays and vacation time, some don't. A National Holiday is just that, you are entitled to have it off, but some hogwans have clauses in their contracts for you to make up days, or be given an alternative day off. Check the fine print.

With the yellow dust soon to arrive, be aware that any day the Govt. decides that it is unsafe for schools to open, that also includes hogwans. Often they will make a decision that only affects kinder or elementary school and not all groups. If you would have regular classes of kinders and the Govt. has issued a health warning for them to close, then no kinder for you that day, no matter what the boss says.

Still crazy, still here.
jenna80ss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Government Health Warnings Reply with quote

Crazy Oz,
You mentioned the yellow dust storms coming. I have heard of them. Concerning Government Warnings.... how would I find out about them (I am pretty sure my boss wouldn't cancel school and let us know)? He doesn't speak any English and probably wouldn't tell us.
Thanks,
Jenna
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read Korean labor law also and I saw that thing about one day leave per month worked - confused me too because I've never heard anyone talk about getting such a thing. Except for folk working in univs, most contracts elsewhere seldom get above 10 days vacation per year, not 12 ...

Anyone able to explain to me?
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gov. Warnings are usually broadcast on radio/tv etc, and are in the papers (try the Korea Herald for English version). The warnings are usually only for the kiddies, nit adults, so at worst you could spend the day at work with without kids Very Happy . Your boss will probably let you know, or one of the Korean teachers.
My first introduction to it a couple of years ago was when I went to work to find the place closed Confused . Try to avoid outside when it's bad, cause it has heaps of nasty bugs in it by the time it gets here.

Still crazy, still here.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the yellow dust stuff ever affect the older students, above elementary school level?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: