Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't eat at ASHOKA INDIAN RESTAURANT in Itaewon's Hamilton
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChooChooPongPong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Don't eat at ASHOKA INDIAN RESTAURANT in Itaewon's Hamilton Reply with quote

I took my girl here on White Day because she wanted to try Indian food. So, when the waiter told me about the 23,000 �� buffet I figured: "I got 63 bones in my pocket...beer is 4,500....so 55,000 �� isnt a bad deal I guess. Might as well go for the buffet even if it is a tad pricey. Afterall....there isnt much to Indian food. But....its White Day so let's splurge."

We had the meal...it was ok but the nan was spongey and it was hard to find good chunks of meat. Time to pay. I get the bill. It says 76,300 ��. I see that the cost of the buffet was 27,000 a plate, and that they have added a service charge of 6,600 two times. I call over the waiter and inquire.

The 27,000 includes a "tax." What tax? When have I ever paid a tax in Korea? The 6,600 is charged twice. Why? "The serice charge is per plate. Not per order." Oh really. What ever happened to 10%? And since when do I pay a service charge for a buffet? I'm getting my own freakin food for crying out crap. All the waiter is doin is re-filling my water glass at an annoying frequency.

So....I argued....to no avail. And the girlfriend had to fork over 13,000. I told them on the way out that they basically lie to customers.

So....don't eat at this restaurant. The manager is a *beep*.

peppergirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the only restaurant in the area that charges tax and service. Where we had the ladies lunch, the Thai Orchid, there was also a 10% service charge plus 10% tax. But it was written on the menu (in small letters, on the bottom).
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same in most (big?) hotels- the buffet at my place costs 12,396 won. Oh, plus 10% tax and 10% service.

Where the hell do they get that price from?
"Hmmm, three kg of kimchi, plus rice, plus 3 meat choices....that's 12,395.5 won per customer. Better round it up for convenience"
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the food decent? I've been dying for a spicy lamb vindaloo.
Sojuman99

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you never ate in a hotel before ?

First time out of the motherland.

I don't think you should slam the restaurant because you couldn't afford the bill.

Just IMHO
batman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't eat at ASHOKA INDIAN RESTARUANT in Itaewon's Hamil Reply with quote

ChooChooPongPong wrote:

The 27,000 includes a "tax." What tax? When have I ever paid a tax in Korea? The 6,600 is charged twice. Why? "The serice charge is per plate. Not per order." Oh really. What ever happened to 10%? And since when do I pay a service charge for a buffet? I'm getting my own freakin food for crying out crap. All the waiter is doin is re-filling my water glass at an annoying frequency.

So....I argued....to no avail. And the girlfriend had to fork over 13,000. I told them on the way out that they basically lie to customers.

So....don't eat at this restaurant. The manager is a *beep*.

The VAT in Korea is 10%. You pay this everytime you go shopping. Generally, though, it is included in the price of the goods bought. The exception is smaller stores with expected sales of less than 50 million won a year.

I think they screwed you on the service charge though. 10% service charge is common in hotel facilities (and some of the more expensive 'foriegn' style restaurants (Thai, Indian, TGIF). Paying 12,000 for a service charge for the meal you described sounds excessive.

Not surprised that the manager is a *beep*. Best service in Korea usually can be found in restaurants run and operated by ajumas. And I have never been that impressed with the Hamilton anyways. Stayed there once (took my wife there as an anniversary present) and found the rooms to be kind of nasty.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've eaten there a couple times. the food was great:) but, yes, perhaps a touch pricey...
t bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pakistani restraurant on that back street behind BK is excellent and cheaper, I don't think they do bufffet, but Indian buffets are a rip-off, because the food is so filling. They dont charge tax either.
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taqwa at the bottom of hooker hill is my favorite Indian/pakistani. The Roti bread is awesome.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Nashville is now starting to tack on 10% to its bills "service charge" they never had in the past 7 years I've been there.

I don't mind if I'm at a hotel or someplace fancy or western like Fridays but Nashville??? come on!!!! who do they think they are

If I want steak I'll go to 3 Alley next time its better and cheaper
osangrl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pricey but well worth it. Perhaps one of my favorite restaurants inj Itaewon. Dude, I can't believe you were arguing over a bill, on White day in front of your girlfriend. Is she long gone??
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would turn her off more: arguing about the bill or asking her to cough up the difference on White Day?
Saxiif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is said above the Pakistani restaurant in the same area is better and cheaper (although not anywhere near great) and Mughal (I think that's the right name) restaurant in the same area is also awful, it made my gf throw up Sad
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the waiter actually said it was 23 000won, but there was 12 000 won tacked on for tax and service (per person). This is certainly excessive....it adds over 50% to the price of the meal for chrissakes!!

The buffet at Taj Mahal isn't bad. It's 17 000 for dinner (and cheaper for lunch). And when the bill comes, you actually pay 17 000won! Go figure eh?
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made the same mistake at that place. Got the bill while the woman was visiting the restroom. Had a couple moments of sticker shock, payed the bill, vowed never to eat there again. Laughed it off. Live and learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: