Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loud neighbors, what to do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnolialove

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Loud neighbors, what to do? Reply with quote

I live in a high-rise apartment building like a lot of us, and my neighbors upstairs are your proverbial neighbors from hell. They stomp around until midnight and sometimes after, and are at it again pretty much every morning before 7. It sounds like part of it is a little kid, but that's not all of it because they decided to hammer before 8 on a Saturday (and continued for about an hour).

What can I do about this? I've tried knocking on the ceiling but they don't get the point- I'm guessing they can't hear it over themselves. Do I try to handle it myself or is this kind of thing handled by landlords here?
air76

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a famous acronym that describes your situation.

S.O.L.
Louis VI

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank the tunes. Very Happy
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just go knock on their door the next time they make a racket and tell they you are trying to sleep. If you can't speak Korean then mime it.
-point to watch
-mime sleeping
-stomp on the floor
-cover ears and make an angry look
-make the "sssshhhhh" gesture
-mime sleeping again
(all the while saying it in English - they might catch a few words)
Vix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis VI wrote:
Crank the tunes. Very Happy

Yeah everyone has some music that most find annoying but that you quite like, play that!
lukas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earplugs might work if they're not vibrating your apartment too much from the stomping
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently dealing with the same problem. I don't mind music, drunk ajoshies, TV, instruments, but the thumping is killing me. Ear plugs do nothing, I am running fans in winter for white noise, I have moved my bed out from under high traffic areas, nothing seems to drown out the thumping. It sounds like a woman, in heels, pacing over me head for hours on end. No children.

I have tried:
- Banging
- Slamming doors
- Yelling in Korean
- Knocking on their door (I get no answer)
- Hanging over the balcony and giving their window a few whacks
- Having the school call the building management
- Playing a message at wee hours of the morning a student recorded for me "Attention 1106 .... Apt, please stop running and jumping."

Any one of these will give me a good 20 minutes of absolute silence so I can get back to sleep. Still though, I have found that nothing works long term.
SpiralStaircase

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukas wrote:
earplugs might work if they're not vibrating your apartment too much from the stomping

That was my first thought too... I bought some nice ones while home last vacation. Honestly, the plugs tend to make things worse as they drown out any white noise you may be using. The thumping is reduced slightly, but when thumping is all you can hear, it actually sounds louder.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the other neighbors.

Start doing drum solos outside their door. With a really bad rhythm. Make sure your other neighbors know and are in on it.
drkalbi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem in our apartment. My wife called the Maintenance/Admin office and told them the problem. They took care of it and no problem since.
daeguowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're living in an apartment building, the Korean way to do it is to go up and complain or call the ajosshi on the first floor to do it for you...
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drkalbi wrote:
Had the same problem in our apartment. My wife called the Maintenance/Admin office and told them the problem. They took care of it and no problem since.

try this first.

However, (minus having the wife) it didnt work for me.

I cut a hole in the bottom of a trash can so that i could run a cord through it, and placed my ihome inside. I duct taped the bucket to the ceiling and blasted the thing full go (it is loud and the bass has a kick) while i went to sokcho for three days.

When i got back on monday, i left a note on their door that said if they do not stop with the noise, the same thing will happen every time i leave my apartment.

Had zero problems after that. Dude even bought me dinner :p
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Many walk and run hard on the heels of their feet because they don't think of others. Poor people think they're in a house with no one else around.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go up there and mention it to them nicely. If they don't comply, then go to the building management. Then I would start playing dirty.
magnolialove

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
drkalbi wrote:

try this first.

However, (minus having the wife) it didnt work for me.

I cut a hole in the bottom of a trash can so that i could run a cord through it, and placed my ihome inside. I duct taped the bucket to the ceiling and blasted the thing full go (it is loud and the bass has a kick) while i went to sokcho for three days.

When i got back on monday, i left a note on their door that said if they do not stop with the noise, the same thing will happen every time i leave my apartment.

Had zero problems after that. Dude even bought me dinner :p

I like this. We're having a co-teacher write something up to give to the maintenance, but it's been so bad today that I'm trying a variation on this idea.

We have an AC unit near the ceiling ad some pretty badass computer speakers, and after making my hand sore from pounding on the ceiling I put those babies on top of the AC and now have Dropkick Murphys blasting.

We'll see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: