Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy is the midnight run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itchy_feet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: How easy is the midnight run? Reply with quote

I am looking into teaching in Korea and although I am going to research any posts offered etc. I had made some assumptions: Firstly I had assumed that as most of the pay/conditions descriptions were the same I would get my return airfare and would actually get paid on time. Secondly, if things got too bad I could always take my board markers and leave without fear of any legal wrangling (imprisonment, torture etc.). Have I been as naive as I seem Question
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sucks that korean employer can be so frigging self serving that they lie to you and force you to take all sorts of crap which is probably a breach of contract, and then when you want out, YOU have to pay your way and in a quasi legal fashion.

no wonder korea is still considered a developing country :/
william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, stay as long as you can, but if it ever gets to the point where you're working for free OR you can see your ulcer through your gut...

Contact your recruiter, take a trip to Japan for a weekend. If you got the money to stay, come back with a tourist visa and hopefully you'll get a new job ASAP.

But if not, then I say run like the wind.

Of course, you shouldnt be thinking them things until you're actually here.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runing should be the last resort for a responsible teacher. It should be considered when other avenues have been exhausted and when no other options are realistically available.
Otherwise it just boils down to running out of irresponsibility and sticking the consequences to others (co-workers, students and your ex-boss).
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

william failed to point out to you that if you run to japan and come back with a tourist visa(can you do that with the E-2 still firmly stamped upon your passport???), you can't get another legal job until your first visa is cancelled anyway, which the first hogwon does not have to do necessarily.....even if they should.....
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Midnight Running Reply with quote

If you leave the country while under an E-2 Visa, before you leave the immigration person at exit will stamp on your E-2 visa "cancelled".

When you come back, you are under a tourist visa and cannot get a new E-2 visa until the date on which your old E-2 would have normally expired UNLESS your old school signs a paper of release for you, which is not easy to do.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: visa cancelled Reply with quote

why would immigration stamp your visa "cancelled" if it has not yet been cancelled by the school (or expired)?

are you saying that if you ask immigration at the airport to "cancel" your visa, they will do it just like that?

i know for sure they won't automatically cancel your visa. i left the country many times on an E-2 and never had it cancelled.
Landon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Midnight Run Reply with quote

No extreme here. I saw it happen all the time. Actually, the secrecy is not really needed in all cases. If you want to go home ... many times the employer will help if you are truly unhappy.
Landon[/b][/quote]
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Visa Cancellation Reply with quote

If your E-2 is a multi-entry visa, it will not be cancelled.

If your E-2 is not a multi-entry visa, it will be cancelled.

Mine was not, and it was stamped void.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great wall...small mistake in your statement:
if your E-2 is a simple entry visa it WILL NOT NECESSARLITY be cancelled.
It depends if your school has filed a release with immigration or if your ex-boss has flagged your E-2 because you ran.
In the latter case, you will have to wait until your E-2 expires.
You may comeback in and even get a new visa but that might not work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: