Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One-on-one Games with young students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: One-on-one Games with young students Reply with quote

I have a situation at my hogwan where due to some "unusual" bus scheduling, the majority of my students (8~10 yrs) have to leave 10 minutes before class officially finishes... some days I have just one or two students left who have to stay behind - their misfortune? They can walk home.

So rather than being a hard-core teacher and going over and over stuff with them, I've decided to play games with them Very Happy but all the English related games I know (besides hangman) are for larger class sizes. I've done a bit of searching on the Internet, but everything I've found is for classes, not one or two or three students. Does anyone have any ideas or links they can help me out with?
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it or your school is willing to spring for it, Coex Mall and Lotte World have a decent selection of games (although greatly overpriced). Guess Who and Outburst are favorites among my students.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: one on one games Reply with quote

Here's some games that I've used that I think would be good for use one on one.

The word chain game (start with elephanT then TigeR then RuN then NighT then TuG the GreaT, and so on...) Basically you use the last letter of the word to start the next. It's similar to a Korean game so they should pick up on it quick. Make sure they don't repeat any words.

This site has some good speaking board games and a template you can use to make more. The information gap activities are good as well:
http://bogglesworld.com/esl_games.htm
http://bogglesworld.com/information_gap.htm

Try the private teaching section of the idea cookbook on this site as well as the game section:
http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/sefer.cgi?Private:Teaching
http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/sefer.cgi?Games

I've found that 'Board Scrabble' or "scrabble on paper" is really good for small groups. You just make a 20 x20 grid or so and put in stars and circles for double letter and double word points. Then have students build words on the board.

If you haven't been to this site yet, I would recommend a look:
http://school.discovery.com/teachers/
It's a great resource for teachers to make worksheets, crossword puzzles, worsearch puzzles, etc.

One more idea---have the kids 'spell' words with their fingers on the other student's back or in the palm of the hand (with closed eyes) one letter at a time. Then they should guess what word the other person spelled.

Hope this helps!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your tips. Have tried a few ideas in the last few days with a bit of success ... so much so that they've stopped complaining about being left behind...

I think I'll buy a copy of "Guess Who" this weekend. I love that game. My hogwan is pretty cool and will reimburse me... no sweat! Perhaps they'll even be up for some "Jnr Scrabble!" Not sure what "Outburst" is... but I'll check it out.

Thanks!
WB
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a few classes that have only 1-3 students, so I use games a lot. Monopoly is good. Some card games are good. Crazy Eights or flash cards - give them hints and they guess what it is. Memory match. Spelling with scrabble tiles. Kids under 10 usually like coloring too. Dominoes is not bad. Checkers: most Korean kids have never played this game! "Play doh" is good with youngsters. I even bought lego blocks before for grade one kids and preschoolers in Taiwan. Small jigsaw puzzles are good too. Or mazes or word searches. There's a nice site called at www.puzzlemaker.com where you can make a wordsearch puzzle in a minute. Or get 5 dice and teach them how to play "yahtzee" or a simplified version (just numbers 1 to 6).

I know many of these games may lack real English but sometimes they need fun, and there's some learning going on at least, perhaps including games from another culture - not bad I think. I'm also thinking of getting a book on basic origami, or maybe some model planes or ships or whatever. I've got some youngsters with very limited English and very limited attention spans. They get bored about 50 times per class!
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh www.sitesforteachers.com is good too. Unfortunately I don't have internet at my current gig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: