Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Issuance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that if you get a state CBC you WILL need a FBI one for your subsequent visa or for your renewal next year. You will in effect be limiting yourself to 1 year here.

Canuckophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: REALLY? FBI will be required in future? Reply with quote

I've never heard this - in fact I heard Korean immi seems to prefer the (absolutely meaningless) state criminal record checks. I get mine in WA state and the apostille people have Korean Air calendars on walls because apparently K consulate has so many dealings with them. And FBI checks take MONTHS. (I have one) It's true the FBI check (like the RCMP check in Canada) actually has national data on it, unlike the state ones.

Where did you hear this?
sandcat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only going for a year anyway. Is it true that in January they'll start requiring FBI checks from all applicants?

Also isn't this technically fraud? What kind of consequences would I be facing if immigration discovered I wasn't actually living in New York (or Connecticut)? Do they have any way of finding out? Would they take the time to do it? Is it suspicious that my passport is issued in Massachusetts? Btw I'm applying for a passport this week, and I'm gonna pay the expedition fee to get it in 2-3 weeks. Does the passport need to be valid for a particular amount of time before you can use it to secure a visa? Sorry about the off-topic question.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandcat wrote:
I'm only going for a year anyway. Is it true that in January they'll start requiring FBI checks from all applicants?

Also isn't this technically fraud? What kind of consequences would I be facing if immigration discovered I wasn't actually living in New York (or Connecticut)? Do they have any way of finding out? Would they take the time to do it? Is it suspicious that my passport is issued in Massachusetts? Btw I'm applying for a passport this week, and I'm gonna pay the expedition fee to get it in 2-3 weeks. Does the passport need to be valid for a particular amount of time before you can use it to secure a visa? Sorry about the off-topic question.

Maybe, but the rules essentially ignore the reality of the situation. I haven't spent more than three or four months at a time in the States since I was eighteen (most of the time spent in Canada), yet I still need a US CBC. Canada or Korea would have more to offer them than any US check will.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: The system makes no sense Reply with quote

Yes, even when changing jobs IN KOREA without returning home (just going to Japan or visa) we have to get new CRCs
sandcat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my main question is, is it worth it to try? I'm worried that I'm gonna go through all the trouble of getting the documents I need and then be sent home at immigration and have to spend all my savings on a plane ticket.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Good grief - do you want a job or not? Reply with quote

I think the forum has answered this question several times. You are probably OK to go to another state. Most K employers look at the CRC as a formality, and so does K immigration. If youw ant to work in Korea, I think you have to figure out for yourself if it is worth it.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: You won't fly to Korea with the CRC Reply with quote

The CRC is done LONG BEFORE you get on a plane - you have to get the visa in advance. You send all necessary documents to your employer and they send their documents to the Korean consulate nearest you - you go there with your diploma etc. A few days later the visa is issued
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: REALLY? FBI will be required in future? Reply with quote

Canuckophile wrote:
I've never heard this - in fact I heard Korean immi seems to prefer the (absolutely meaningless) state criminal record checks. I get mine in WA state and the apostille people have Korean Air calendars on walls because apparently K consulate has so many dealings with them. And FBI checks take MONTHS. (I have one) It's true the FBI check (like the RCMP check in Canada) actually has national data on it, unlike the state ones.

Where did you hear this?

Immigration ( http://www.immigration.go.kr/ ) - effective Jan 2011 ALL CBCs will be required to be NATIONAL checks (pointed specifically at US residents since CBCs from the other countries ARE drawn from the national database (eg: CPIC in Canada)) AND those who have not submitted a national check will be required to do so when they renew/extend after Jan 2011..

Better get up to speed or you may end up 30 days from renewal with no check done and a 4-month wait to get one.

Canuckophile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: thanks - wasn't aware of this Reply with quote

Korea will also be out of teachers eh?

These national checks take months and months - my guess is minimum of 3/4 months for US FBI check and Cdn RCMP check

Often when they pass these laws in Korea, either they rescind them after 2 days or local immigration ignores them and just does things 'their' way (usually more efficiently)

It will be interesting
Super Roo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: E2 Visa application process changes. Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am an Australian ESL teacher and am new to this forum.

I am wondering if any one can enlighten me as to the changes made to E2 Visa requirements for new teachers as of April the 1st, 2011.

I have heard (rumour), that Korean Consulate notorisation of one's CBC and degree may have replaced the requirement for an apostille. If so, this will make the process some what simpler.

Super Roo.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: E2 Visa application process changes. Reply with quote

Super Roo wrote:
Hi all!

I am an Australian ESL teacher and am new to this forum.

I am wondering if any one can enlighten me as to the changes made to E2 Visa requirements for new teachers as of April the 1st, 2011.

I have heard (rumour), that Korean Consulate notorisation of one's CBC and degree may have replaced the requirement for an apostille. If so, this will make the process some what simpler.

Super Roo.

If you are from Canada then you need a Korean consulate certification of your CBC.

If you are from any of the other 6 countries then you DO REQUIRE an apostille on your CBC and (photo) copy of your degree certificate (not on the original degree).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: