Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeju and Udo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Jeju and Udo Reply with quote

I've gotten over sulking about the loss of my four day weekend due to national elections, and I was thinking about going to Jeju for the three days that I will have off in early April. I don't want to deal with too many tourist traps and I'm kind of interested in Udo island too.

I heard there's some sort of festival going on there in early April too?

I've vegetarian and sick to death of bibimbap, so are there the usual western fast food pits on Jeju? I ususally cook for myself, but that's probably not an option on the road. Confused

Last edited by peppermint on Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
just because

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Udo. I highly recommend it.

I stayed with the missus on the island there. It is gorgeous and not to many cars. you can hire bikes and just ride around the island and the beaches are pretty nice(yes, there is one nice beach in Korea).

We stayed at a minbak there in the middle of the island in a tiny township. There was a supermarket (Nonghyoep) which had some basic stuff but just go to a seaside restaurant because the haemultang(seafood stew) is really good too.

One of the highlights from my stay in Jeju(I've been there 2 times for a toltal of 12 days).

Others I recommend include
*Seongsan Ichulbong(just across from udo)
*The two big waterfalls around Seogwipo. we went in summertime and the water was tumbling out.
*Hallim park
*A cave (can't remember the name) on the north side of the island between Seongsan and Jeju City
*Hallisan( but since you've only got 3 days perhaps some other time)

Anyway, you'll have a great time as it doesn't seem like Korea. especially when it is quiter. The people there are a lot more chilled out(or maybe I was just in holiday mode).
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Udo rocks..

No fast food joints of any kind there... actually there's not much there business wise at all.. tons of little joints to eat, although most feature seafood caught by the 'famous' women divers...

Jeju-city has pretty much everything you'll find here... i'm sure veggie dishes won't be hard to find at all
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheju-do is a rock and Udo is a smaller rock.
sadsac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with most of the posters, Udo is a magical little place where you can just disappear and vege for a couple of days. Walk or bike it is a great place. Jeju is wonderful too and there is plenty to see and do. Just sit back and soak it all up. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: