Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I obtain a cell phone (mobile phone)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundizz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CYON (LG service I think) pre paid phone that I got from a friend a while back. I put 150k on it and has lasted me about 6 months. It's a pretty sheizy phone though with not much battery life. It's finally running out of money so I need to either recharge it or get a new phone. Any places in Sinchon I can do this?

I don't really want to get a contract phone, as the pre-paid thing worked pretty well for me. Plus, if I'm only here 6 months I don't want to deal with the hassle of a 1 year contract. Is there somewhere in Sinchon I can go to get a decent pre-paid phone? Anyone know the rates for calling/texting?
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Sinchon but there are a bunch of places in Itaewon near the subway station that will sell you a second hand prepaid phone.

When the credit runs out you just need to go into a phone shop in your area to top it up.
autoseal89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this is now sorted
chianski

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I recently purchased a Sky im-s240k phone through Show and prepaid 10,000 won to put minutes on it. The store told me it would be four hours until the phone would be activated, it has been a day now and it still isn't working. However, a Korean friend translated the menu screen for me and it says enter a 12 digit secret code...any ideas? I realize I'll probably just need to go back to the store, but figured I would try my luck here first.
Mongoos150

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the cell networks in SK use CDMA or GSM? I have an unlocked iPhone that I've used all over Europe (just buying a pre-paid SIM card). Can I do this in Korea, or do I need to buy a phone there?
olololox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit random but.. is there anyway of unlocking a contract phone once over there and freeing up the phone for a new Korean sim?
northway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the networks are different and you can't use a foreign phone on a Korean network, unlocked or not.
Mongoos150

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like no one really knows, but I am pretty sure the cellular networks in Korea are CDMA (the same technology that Verizon and Sprint use). Meaning no SIM cards.

Continental europe, north america and parts of asia use GSM (same technology as AT&T and T-Mobile), but not Korea. Meaning it's necessary to buy a Korean phone in Korea to use there. Shyte.
jmstump

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: You CAN use your phone in South Korea Reply with quote

snowjd

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see this mentioned before, so here you go.

I got a Samsung Galaxy from LGU back in December. At the time, they had just started letting foreigners sign contracts without having to have the help of a Korean. They let me sign a 2 year contract, and there was no deposit. The cost of the phone was divided up and is added to my bill every month (16K won/month). In all, I end up paying about 70K won for 300 minutes, 300 texts, and unlimited data. I have gone over on minutes a couple of months and it was not expensive at all.

I have heard people say that LGU service isn't as good as SK, and if you are looking at the Galaxy, the LG version is supposed to be the worst of the three. I've never had any problems with the service though, and I haven't had any problems with the phone either.

Just another option for you, especially if you want a smart phone.
TASscot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Company www.TheArrivalStore.com provides contracted cell phones (6 months) delivered to your door in Korea within a day or two. No ARC or documentation required.

Some quick details about the phone plans:

Used Phones: $39.99
New Phones: $69.99
Refundable Cell phone deposit: $125

Pay in Korean Won by bank transfer or use your Credit Card.

1. Average monthly bill $35-$45 (1100 free outgoing mins/month to all Arrival Store and some other carriers)

2. Great phones with features like: caller id, camera, mp3 player, and Korean/English dictionaries, etc.

3. Phone is set up and ready to use upon arrival vs. waiting 4-6 weeks for your Korean ID

4. No large unexpected long distance bills and highly discounted or FREE international calls.

5. 6 month contract with no renewal fees (shortest in Korea)

6. No need to add minutes to the phone, and call-out rate 1/3 as much of a pre-paid phone

7. Simple and convenient English billing

Our whole cell phone program is aimed at making things more convenient foreigners in Korea.

For our company story see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSUiS6gAGM4

Let us know if you have any questions: [email protected]
Gregski

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a good idea to re-iterate what some previous posters have said: most of the information in this thread is out-of-date.

I'm on AT&T, and they have a handy site that shows whether or not your particular phone will work anywhere in the world.

Based on a cursory observation, if you have a newish smartphone on any carrier, it should work in South Korea. YMMV, of course.
steve902

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

Will people post updated info about their experiences w/ companies for long- term and pay as you go phones? I'm going to be looking for a company with a smart phone/ data option so I can use the map feature to navigate the city. I bet other people would like to know about monthly, yearly, and phone costs.

I searched through the tech forum, and most of those comments seem to be about issues related to specific phones.
Deja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago I had no problem getting any (available) phone from any carrier (non-Telekom shops at least, I never went directly to KT/SKT), even though I am not even employed in Korea (foreign contractor).
They did ask for my ARC and of course credit card. I didn't ask for a deposit based purchase, since I am apalled at giving any telecommunication company anything up front Smile

You HAVE to get a Korean to come with you for the translation.
aaromero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve902 wrote:
Bump.

Will people post updated info about their experiences w/ companies for long- term and pay as you go phones?

I can say that reading the first post from the beginning of this decade old thread not much has changed. I bought a phone near the nerd dungeon in yongsan and had them load it up with prepaid mintues.

Spent about 60k won and its lasted me 3 months.

The phone is trash but it does the trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: