Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct English (Pagoda) and dishonest recruiting information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyKiwiGuy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Direct English (Pagoda) and dishonest recruiting information Reply with quote

I recently applied to work at Direct English in September 2010 (Pagoda's 1:1 tutoring service) and was provisionally offered a contract for employment by their head recruiter (Mr I*n W*****r-just do a Google search for his name).

I found the contract to be heavily punitive but was willing to negotiate a contract that would be win-win for me and Direct English. However, my valid and reasonable contract negotiation points were brushed aside (and I was casually dismissed by email as "wasting their time") after I questioned the discrepancy in my contract (I was offered 15 paid holidays and possibility of nil pay increases) YET the "Official" Pagoda website quotes 20 days holiday and Pay increases Every 6 Months!!! Do they think we don't read our contracts????

I recommended in my response email to I*n W*****r to amend the "BENEFITS page" listed on their website so that future potential teachers do not make the same mistake I did, thereby avoiding having to "waste" his time as put in his email. We shall see in the fullness of time if this actually comes about (or not), however, based on the curt email response I received to my valid concerns I will beg the latter.

My advice for teachers looking for good first job in Korea, STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT ENGLISH / PAGODA at all costs and enter a FAIR contract with a Korean public school job. Don't fall for this meat-grinder employer. Over and out

Feel free if you'd like to share a similar unpleasant experience w/ Direct English/Pagoda.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people and some places never change.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was discouraged from applying when the HR person had the work Mister in their email address.
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets' play hangman.

Is there an "o"?

Yeah, I opted out of a contract w/ them a couple of years ago. Mom n' pop hagwon looked better.
FlyKiwiGuy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct! I*n W****Or Razz Any more guesses?
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I heard someone say his hometown was across the river from Detroit, over there in Windsor, Ontario.
toonchoon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY I think I spoke to this guy about a year or two ago. Didn't even get as far as getting to talk about the job. Smile
Merlyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Direct English blows.
sendittheemail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, when I was still teaching, I applied for a job there. The guy (mentioned by the OP) who does the interviews seemed like a major tool, so I passed on the job, walked next door and got a job at a different academy. If I remember correctly, the guy doing interviews wasn't even on time and NONE of the Koreans working in his office seemed to even know his name.
darkcity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I actually worked for them for over a year. If you really want to know what you're missing, PM me.

Long story short, you can't negotiate a contract with them because they are one of the (if not the) biggest hagwon in Korea, and they have plenty of applicants to pick from who just want a job. All the first-year DE contracts are the same (unless you have some kind of teaching qualification).

I've been away from Korea for a while, but I understand the job market has tightened up, and I would be hesitant to be too demanding.

Regarding your holiday discrepancy, I think DE and Pagoda teachers are offered different contracts. From what I've heard, Pagoda teachers work even harder than DE teachers, which is hard to believe.

In retrospect, I don't regret working for them, but I would be taking two steps backward if I returned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GENO123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information
midwesty8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone update on working for direct english or pagoda? pm if you'd like.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was that old quote about "Mad dogs and the midday sun?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: