Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a New Recruiter.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl_00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Looking for a New Recruiter. Reply with quote

Hey all,

As the title says I'm looking for a new recruiter. I'm already with one but I'm getting a bit impatient with the lack of progress there's been in the month since I made the initial contact. So, could any of you recommend a good professional recruiter with whom you have experience with.

Thanks.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeachKoreaNZ was very reliable and helpful. I personally met the recruiter and her husband while I was in South Korea and they are great people. However, they only work with public schools in the Gyeongsangnam-do area and one or two hagwons.
oldtactics

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% recommend Claire at ESLstarter.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last year i used John from jicc recruit. he's korean and speaks fluent english and he's really good with follow up.

John
010-9078-0094
--
JICC Recruite Agency(John's Recruite)
#4th Nuri Tower 50-10 shinheung dong Jung Gu
Incheon City South Korea
Tel) 82-32-765-3700, Cel) 82-10-9078-0094.
[email protected].
Nadia_M

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Planet ESL. The owner, Jiyeon, helped me. She was super nice and answered all my questions. I submitted my information on the website, and two days later I had an interview with her. I had two interviews a couple of days later. Within one week of submitting my info on the site, I had a contract.
isisaredead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a New Recruiter. Reply with quote

Carl_00 wrote:
Hey all,

As the title says I'm looking for a new recruiter. I'm already with one but I'm getting a bit impatient with the lack of progress there's been in the month since I made the initial contact. So, could any of you recommend a good professional recruiter with whom you have experience with.

Thanks.

yes, i could - yourself.

it takes a lot more work (keeping your ear to the ground, cold-canvassing etc), but the results are mind-boggling.
lalartu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all Korean recruiters are sort of the same.

they care more about the commission than about teachers.

if you're qualified and want a good job, avoid recruiters. look for good schools that are hiring and apply directly
if you're not picky, you'll have little trouble with recruiters though

recruiters dont like teachers that only want specific conditions (me being one hehe).

i would specifically avoid the following companies/people:

Jeremy from Poly (liar liar pants on fire)
work n play (too slow and ineffective)
footprints (make you sign waiver before doing anything and lose/forget stuff all the time)
enw-asia - takes them weeks to reply and they actually post jobs that dont even exist anymore, just to attract more applicants.

also, just a personal experience, but dealing with weh-gooks (i.e. us foreigners) yields better results and less headaches.

Korean recruiters (that includes gyopos unfortunately) seem to have a head up their ass when it comes to customer services and lie A LOT on top of that. the only time I had little trouble finding a job through a recruiter was with a guy from Vancouver who showed a lot of patience,understanding and was very truthful. I could say the same about most other foreign recruiters that I dealt with.
Hasna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edited)

Last edited by Hasna on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_teach_esl wrote:
last year i used John from jicc recruit. he's korean and speaks fluent english and he's really good with follow up.

John
010-9078-0094
--
JICC Recruite Agency(John's Recruite)
#4th Nuri Tower 50-10 shinheung dong Jung Gu
Incheon City South Korea
Tel) 82-32-765-3700, Cel) 82-10-9078-0094.
[email protected].

True, but he's also way too pushy.

You don't just outright e-mail a contract to somebody and rush them to sign the deal without any interview of any kind. Hell, I wasn't given the opportunity to speak to the hagwon owner or a teacher at the school. Never even spoke to the recruiter before the contract was offered.

After reading the contract, I wasn't surprised why he forced it on me (lol @ no vacation or sick days among other lolz). Guy has no interest in getting you a worthwhile job. As long as he can get a warm body for a position, he's happy.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are applying for a PS position (then go direct),

use as many recruiters as you need to:
find the job you want,
in the area you want,
with the benefits that you want,
at the start time you want.

They are like used car salesmen. Look at them all, see what they have to offer, kick the tires to weed out the crap and choose from what is left.

DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Unless you are applying for a PS position (then go direct),

use as many recruiters as you need to:
find the job you want,
in the area you want,
with the benefits that you want,
at the start time you want.

They are like used car salesmen. Look at them all, see what they have to offer, kick the tires to weed out the crap and choose from what is left.

I find recruiters to be a good way of getting your information out to a large number of public schools and hagwons fairly quickly. But you just have to be careful and cherry pick what you want. You can't fully trust even the best recruiters and if something doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't right.

Looking to apply direct is efficient in the sense that you are directly choosing the job you want rather than receiving partial information about an opening through a third party.

But don't entirely discard recruiters. You just have to be smart to deal with them effectively.
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.
Hotwire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.

I mass email by bcc about 50 recruiters from dave's / eng spec with my cover letter, pic, docs etc.

Would never relly on just one. Though I did in 2002 when I first applied to come here, but there were so fewer waeygs here then.
notinKS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used KorVia (ps only) and ASKNow (both public and private) and had good results from both of them.
Isehtis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing the process now and my advice is, send your resume and photo to every recruiter you can find. I'm an average candidate and it's taken me ages to find a position, having contacted 20-30 recruiters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: