Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI - FBI Background Check - Get it done ASAP.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamiemexi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: FYI - FBI Background Check - Get it done ASAP. Reply with quote

FBI BACKGROUND CHECK
===============
Submitted:
3/19/2010
Received:
5/4/2010
Approx. 7 Weeks
================
Submitted:
5/04/2010
Received:
6/24/2010
Approx. 7 Weeks
================
3DR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My state crc expires in oct, so I got my fingerprints today and sending it off tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to do it over.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, is this the time it took to get the CBC and also the time it took to get the Apostille on it?
jamiemexi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just the time to get the FBI background check. 7 weeks. If you're overseas in South Korea, what you would do is forward the background check to an apostille agency address like Apostille Pros, www.apostillepros.com

They will get it notarize and apostille and mail it via FEDEX to South Korea. This process takes 2-3 days from the time they receive it. So 7 weeks for the FBI background check and 2-3 days for the notary and apostille to be sent to South Korea.

If you're in the U.S., you can do it yourself or have an apostille agency do it for you.

For FBI background check prints, just look at your prints, if the prints are smeared, do it again cause the FBI operator won't be able to match the prints to their database; then you're just going to wait another 7 weeks. So the important part is the taking the prints on the FD-258 card or the online printable fingerprint paper.

Bibbitybop wrote:
OP, is this the time it took to get the CBC and also the time it took to get the Apostille on it?
3DR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent it off today. Along with a happy note of quick processing...hopefully that helps Laughing
sparklypink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my process:

Fingerprint card completed: 9/1/2010
Sent off to FBI office: 9/2/2010
Arrived at FBI office (I had tracking on it): 9/4/2010

... Yup, I'm still waiting for the results. I included a pre-stamped priority mail envelope inside with a tracking # on it. But I'm glad to hear that the average processing time is 7 weeks. I was told it would take (up to) 12 weeks.
chicken_punch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamiemexi wrote:
This is just the time to get the FBI background check. 7 weeks. If you're overseas in South Korea, what you would do is forward the background check to an apostille agency address like SPAM

Nice, another spam message from jamiemexi. Do you get paid for every post you make mentioning their name or are you the owner?
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamiemexi wrote:
This is just the time to get the FBI background check. 7 weeks. If you're overseas in South Korea, what you would do is forward the background check to an apostille agency address like Apostille Pros, www.apostillepros.com

They will get it notarize and apostille and mail it via FEDEX to South Korea. This process takes 2-3 days from the time they receive it. So 7 weeks for the FBI background check and 2-3 days for the notary and apostille to be sent to South Korea.

If you're in the U.S., you can do it yourself or have an apostille agency do it for you.

For FBI background check prints, just look at your prints, if the prints are smeared, do it again cause the FBI operator won't be able to match the prints to their database; then you're just going to wait another 7 weeks. So the important part is the taking the prints on the FD-258 card or the online printable fingerprint paper.

Shocked I do not understand this part. The paper that you would print from online will be on whatever paper you have in your printer. Question Question
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view (I may be wrong) there is something a little wrong with the above advice about sending to an agency for notarization and apostile. Since the FBI check is not done by a state agency, it would be difficult to get any state to notarized and apostille it, unless maybe West Virgina where this FBI branch is located.

There is this advice on the FBI webpage:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/faqs.html
The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this way may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requester to obtain an apostille if necessary.

So be sure to attach a memo with your request for that seal.

I just sent mine off last week, so like I said, I am no expert.

About the printer paper. Yes, I read 2 or 3 posts where people printed out the form on their printer paper (even though A4 size) and sent it in and had it accepted. I bought some slightly heavy card stock and printed it out and used that. Guess I'll find out in 7-8 weeks if that worked OK.
laguna

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
In my view (I may be wrong) there is something a little wrong with the above advice about sending to an agency for notarization and apostile. Since the FBI check is not done by a state agency, it would be difficult to get any state to notarized and apostille it, unless maybe West Virgina where this FBI branch is located.

There is this advice on the FBI webpage:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/faqs.html
The CJIS Division will authenticate U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73 fingerprint search results for international requests by placing the FBI seal and the signature of a division official on the results if requested at the time of submission. Documents prepared in this way may then be sent to the U.S. Department of State by the requester to obtain an apostille if necessary.

So be sure to attach a memo with your request for that seal.

I just sent mine off last week, so like I said, I am no expert.

About the printer paper. Yes, I read 2 or 3 posts where people printed out the form on their printer paper (even though A4 size) and sent it in and had it accepted. I bought some slightly heavy card stock and printed it out and used that. Guess I'll find out in 7-8 weeks if that worked OK.

Agreed, it's spamariffic
It's faster and cheaper to just find out who you have to send it to and mail it there
jamiemexi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand this part. The paper that you would print from online will be on whatever paper you have in your printer.

This is an online printable fingerprint card:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/pdf/fpcardb.pdf
The FBI accept the paper version or on a cardstock fingerprint card FD-258. The FD-258 cardstock is usually provided at the police station or live scan facility. The cardstock is used for better quality prints so it doesn't get rejected by the FBI. Taking fingerprints on printer paper usually smear the prints because the paper is smooth. Cardstock provide best quality prints. Rule of thumb: if you can see your prints, the FBI will see your prints. If it's smeared, do the prints again.

Where to buy cardstock fingerprint card? They sell in bulk online (http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5005.php), so it's best to visit the police station or live scan and they may provide you with the cardstock FD258 card.

Agreed, it's spamariffic
It's faster and cheaper to just find out who you have to send it to and mail it there

Just piece of advice, forwarding your background check to the department of justice may or may not delay your apostille. If you do the apostille within your state or with an agency it can be done faster. Just beware that the State Department sometimes take 25 days to process. They process documents for 50 states so they are like the FBI, processing for 50 states, it will be first come first served basis. If they are busy or layoff workers, you will wait a long time.

Your background check has nothing to do with how it is processed. The apostille procedure is done by country. Since the piece of document (i.e. background check, police background check, degree, diploma) is being used in SOUTH KOREA, it must be apostille. South Korea is part of the hague convention of 1961. If the country is not a part of the hague convention it must go through a chain of authentication (i.e. embassy legalization). China would be an embassy legalization.

The United States is part of the hague convention, so any state is acceptable to the hague convention, hence you can do the apostille in any state.

Last edited by jamiemexi on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NM14456

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Via Korea Reply with quote

Does anyone know for certain - actual experience, if I can do this %100 from Korea?
In other words, is there any reason I can't FedEx the prints taken here to the FBI office and just have them return it here in a pre-paid return envelope? I realize I then need to re-send to the Secretary of State for my home state but this should be doable via another FedEx envelope right?
For me it would be preferable to do it w/o family as they take longer to do things than a government bureaucracy.
Thanks for any experienced thoughts on this!!

NM14456

Last edited by NM14456 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mrclean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

Fingerprinting on the printable form on the FBI site worked for me. I just printed it and took it to my local dong office and asked them nicely if they would fingerprint me. I had my Korean wife along for translating, but I think I could have done it on my own as well. They routinely do fingerprinting for some other purpose there, so it was no big deal for them to do it. Bring your own wipes, though, for afterwards.

By the way, if you need to notarize anything for the paperwork at your job and you are an American, the US Embassy will do that for you for a small fee.

For me the round trip for the FBI check was more like a month, I think. The form I got back was just a single piece of paper with a red ink stamp proclaiming I had no criminal record.
NM14456

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

Mrclean wrote:
Fingerprinting on the printable form on the FBI site worked for me. I just printed it and took it to my local dong office and asked them nicely if they would fingerprint me. I had my Korean wife along for translating, but I think I could have done it on my own as well. They routinely do fingerprinting for some other purpose there, so it was no big deal for them to do it. Bring your own wipes, though, for afterwards.

By the way, if you need to notarize anything for the paperwork at your job and you are an American, the US Embassy will do that for you for a small fee.

For me the round trip for the FBI check was more like a month, I think. The form I got back was just a single piece of paper with a red ink stamp proclaiming I had no criminal record.

I'm not sure if you're responding to the topic in general or my last post - but did you do it all from here via FedEx etc.? I understand the seal you can request from the FBI is the notarization but you must have sent it back overseas (secretary of state for your home state?) for the Apostille? Did you do all of this via FedEx w/o someone in the States being part of the mail chain? Thanks .
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would it take longer to get it notarized and apostilled yourself, or let the Feds do it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 1 of 45

Jump to: