Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tim Hortons in Bundang
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Tim Hortons in Bundang Reply with quote

Some people told me today that a Tim Hortons was opening in Bundang at Sunae station. According to a window sign or something.

Now, I only live one subway stop away but I'm too lazy to go check today. So if nobody knows if its true or not, I'll go check tomorrow. But Timmy's? In Korea? I just wonder if its someone using the name.

But if I could get my Double-Double with an everything bagle with herb/garlic cream cheese... Sweet Mother of Mystery...
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Tim Hortons' website:

Quote:
Opportunities may be available in Northern and North Central B.C., Saskatchewan, urban Toronto, Manitoba, Quebec and selected markets in the United States, i.e. Portland and Maine.

Nothing about expanding into... Bundang.

Highly doubt it. Besides, Joe Thanks would be liable to suicide bomb the place. Wink

On the other hand, I was walking through a sleazy part of the city on the weekend, and strolled by the "Hyatt" love motel - same logo, spelling, everything. Copyright infringement isn't exactly unheard-of here.
Plastic B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Tim Horton's is what?!? One can only imagine it is some sort of Canadian aberration...
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic B wrote:
And Tim Horton's is what?!? One can only imagine it is some sort of Canadian aberration...

Exactly!

I myself prefer Dunkin Donuts...I never got why Tim's was/is so popular.
kozzlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Tim Hortons ? Confused
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunkin Donuts is pure crap compared to Tim Horton's..

(yes, Timmy Hoe's is a coffee shop)

I can totally see them doing a ripoff of it.. it would be pretty smart actually.. sucker in the Canadians that it has got addicted to it's sweet, sweet nectar!
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear if I hear another Canadian blether on about Tim Hortons I'll...I'll.....well, you'd better not. That's all.
rowdie3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Horton's! Ah....a moment of silence please. I just got a big thing of Timmy's coffee from my mom, but it's not the same. I want it in a brown take out cup with a box of 20 Timbits to go with it!
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Horton was a hockey player, of course, as befitting a Canadian doughnut shop chain. It's okay for a Canuck to diss Tim Horton's (though never too loud) but I have NEVER heard someone say Dunkin' Donuts is better because, well, we Canadians that eat at both know that Dunkin' follows whatever trends Timmy comes up with, mimicking the symbolic consumer institution of Canada (like Wal-mart is so American).

(Personally, I can't stand the colours at Dunkin' and their timbits are too oily tasting and, well, not enough like Timbits. Dunkin's hot chocolate isn't very good either. But I like their lemonade and muffins.)

My students know a bit of Tim Horton's culture: They can say "R-R-R Roll up the rim to win" Very Happy

If there was an authentic Tim Horton's in Bundang I'd go there as a sort of tribute to Canadian Imperialism in all of its glory (with thumbs up of course).
batman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Tim Horton was a hockey player, of course, as befitting a Canadian doughnut shop chain. It's okay for a Canuck to diss Tim Horton's (though never too loud) but I have NEVER heard someone say Dunkin' Donuts is better because, well, we Canadians that eat at both know that Dunkin' follows whatever trends Timmy comes up with, mimicking the symbolic consumer institution of Canada (like Wal-mart is so American).

(Personally, I can't stand the colours at Dunkin' and their timbits are too oily tasting and, well, not enough like Timbits. Dunkin's hot chocolate isn't very good either. But I like their lemonade and muffins.)

My students know a bit of Tim Horton's culture: They can say "R-R-R Roll up the rim to win" Very Happy

If there was an authentic Tim Horton's in Bundang I'd go there as a sort of tribute to Canadian Imperialism in all of its glory (with thumbs up of course).

Ah, the glory of Canaidan Imperialism. Bought out by the same company that owns Wendy's.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Tim Horton's, just go buy a can of Nabob coffee at Costco.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What???
First Disney buys the marketing rights to all "RCMP" merchandise, then this.
Next you'll tell me that the Montreal Canadiens were sold to a foreigner.
Geez.

(I don't drink coffee much but the taste of Nabob is clearly different than Tim Horton's. Nice try, and beside the point.)
osangrl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh tim hortons...that is the first thing i had when i got off the plane....calgary airport has one right outside the luggage thing. Sweet lord it was good.
Eazy_E

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran out of Timmy's this morning... and I feel compelled to use up the gift set of Maxim coffee that my boss gave to me at Seollal. No matter, going without real coffee until August will make it that much sweeter when I finally do get it.

And yes, it probably will be in the Vancouver airport.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Timmy's in Bundang rumor as well. It doesn't seem likely....but hell...who knows. I think it would do all right. Tim's hasn't shown much interest in expanding outside of Canada though. They have some franchises in Northern US towns but I don't think it ever really caught on.

For those of you not in the know: Tim Horton was an NHL player who died in a tragic car crash. THere was a Donut/coffee shop started in his name. A certain amout of profits from the shops goes to send kids to the Tim Horton's summer camps for disadvantaged/disabled children.

The proliferation of these coffee shops in some areas of Canada is simply amazing. In Halifax ( a city of 350 000 or so) there are over 50 Tim Horton's Coffee shops. (probably more now, as it was some years ago I last checked).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: