Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Details for nice hikes around Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew345

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Details for nice hikes around Seoul Reply with quote

Is there a website or book (old technology) with details for nice hikes around Seoul?
When I was in San Diego I had a book called "Afoot and Afield in San Diego County" with 70 or so great hikes with details of where to start, small maps of the hiking route, elevation, time etc. I would love to have something like that for around Seoul.
Korean language website would also be fine.
I've been hiking with some clubs around Seoul before, and honestly, I'm just not as fit as others. Koreans are really strong hikers, it ends up being like torture. And the groups are usually larger than I prefer.
I like 2 or 3 hour hikes.
I rarely see details of hikes (starting point, take what bus, maps); usually I see more club meetup announcements. Is hiking information usually just passed on person-person. Where could I get information for 10 or 15 great hikes around Seoul.
Thanks
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Bukhansan National Park webpage list about 10 nice hikes, rates them by difficulty and gives a detailed (but large scale) map.

http://english.knps.or.kr/Knp/Bukhansan/Intro/Introduction.aspx?MenuNum=1&Submenu=Npp

They list the trail head, but don't give bus information to get there. Still, US national park websites don't give bus information either, so can't complain. A little cross reference with the bus map website and it shouldn't be too difficult to get to the trailhead.

Any other detailed information on day hikes appreciated.
alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

line 1 dobong station.....walk west and you can see bukhaksan mountain.......there are many paths to the moutain........best to ask a korean for directions to one of the entrances.......
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
I found the Bukhansan National Park webpage list about 10 nice hikes, rates them by difficulty and gives a detailed (but large scale) map.

http://english.knps.or.kr/Knp/Bukhansan/Intro/Introduction.aspx?MenuNum=1&Submenu=Npp

They list the trail head, but don't give bus information to get there. Still, US national park websites don't give bus information either, so can't complain. A little cross reference with the bus map website and it shouldn't be too difficult to get to the trailhead.

Any other detailed information on day hikes appreciated.

Bibong Course -

subway to Bulgwang (line 3), exit 2, cross the road to bus stop opposite Bellagio Hotel and take any green 7000 something bus; get off after only a few stops at the first stop AFTER Gugi Tunnel; cross over the road towards the mountains and walk straight up that road - takes you to the Bibong entrance.

Bukhansanseong course -

subway to Gupabal (line 3), exit 1 and take bus no. 34 or 704 for about 10-15 mins to Bukhansaneong. Get off and follow the other hikers.

Obong Course -

need a bus to Songchu and which one will depend where you're going from. 704 goes from Seoul station to there, 34 from Bulgwang station.

Mangwolsa course -

subway line 1 to Mangwolsa station; not sure which exit but walk past the college next to the station, under the expressway and you'll come to the Wondobong entrance to the park.

Sorry, don't have time to detail any more but if you go on just one of those, you can pick up a handy bilingual map for W1000 at one of the entrances. Not the free maps of specific areas, but the W1000 one of the whole park. How to get to any of the hiking routes is easy to work out with one of those maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: