Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreigners not allowed inside club ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Foreigners not allowed inside club ? Reply with quote

There is a night club near my place and they don't allow us foreigners inside the club. Can this constitute human rights violation ??
Seoul'n'Corea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreigners not allowed inside club ? Reply with quote

stoned wrote:
There is a night club near my place and they don't allow us foreigners inside the club. Can this constitute human rights violation ??

This is Korea sparkling. They want our business, yet treat us like this! Amazing.
McGenghis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, the only rights being violated are the rights of consumers who get inside and pay through the nose for a decorative plate of fruit and five bottles of absolute swill.

Or the rights of the poor hapless girls who are dragged away from their tables against their will to sit with some strangers in the name of �booking�.

I say save your money and avoid the naiteu.
Kissmykimchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in no way would I compare this to a human rights violation. It is disheartening and shameful.

I simply don't bother with those clubs and tell my friends not too either.

Here are my experiences. Ironically, both clubs happen to be in Itaewon of all places!

http://kissmykimchi.com/2008/12/no-pulse.html

http://kissmykimchi.com/2008/03/silence-the-volume.html
milspecs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human rights violation? Laughing
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoned wrote:

Racial discrimination in Korea?

Get used to it. You're not in Kansas anymore there Toto and Dorothy won't take you home with her magic ruby slippers.

Slowmotion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which club was it? I've only seen signs for GI's getting rejected, not just foreigners.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGenghis wrote:
Or the rights of the poor hapless girls who are dragged away from their tables against their will to sit with some strangers in the name of �booking�.

I don't think you can really say it's against a girl's will if she chooses to go to a booking club...
sojusucks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? I'd say take your business elsewhere. I know it's insulting, but you know what? It's also bad business to exclude people who might be good customers for a long time. It's their financial loss. Go somewhere else and enjoy yourself. Spread the word about that other place, too.

Kissmykimchi wrote:
While in no way would I compare this to a human rights violation. It is disheartening and shameful.

I simply don't bother with those clubs and tell my friends not too either.

Here are my experiences. Ironically, both clubs happen to be in Itaewon of all places!

http://kissmykimchi.com/2008/12/no-pulse.html

http://kissmykimchi.com/2008/03/silence-the-volume.html

I'm impressed that you addressed this issue in your blog. We've all seen it done or had it done to us by someone somewhere. The other "top" foreign bloggers are afraid to touch issues like this, for some reason.
McGenghis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
McGenghis wrote:

I don't think you can really say it's against a girl's will if she chooses to go to a booking club...

I also can�t really say it violates a consumer's rights if he patronizes the place.

Just so we are all clear and have our tongues out of our cheeks and firmly on the keyboards.
interestedinhanguk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
Which club was it? I've only seen signs for GI's getting rejected, not just foreigners.

It happens plenty. There's a huge nightclub in Ilsan that doesn't allow foreigners, unless accompanied by a Korean. Plenty of foreigners just seek out a Korean to go with them. I say, "why bother?" I don't want to give them my business
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me. A little over a week ago, two friends and I were waiting for another friend to show up. I told him to meet us in front of a particular club since it was the only major landmark. And besides, I didn't want to us get any more lost than we already were.

I was standing on the sidewalk which last I heard is considered public and not private property. However, the Korean guy at the entrance of the club started yelling at me and my two other friends. He was telling us in Korean to go away since foreigners are not allowed inside the club. Never mind that we were not inside the club and had no intention of going inside... not to mention that the sidewalk is not private property.
stoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know if it is legal to do that. Is it completely at owner's discretion to allow or not allow 'certain' people based on race or color? Can I start a night club here and not allow Koreans in it??
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoned wrote:
I want to know if it is legal to do that. Is it completely at owner's discretion to allow or not allow 'certain' people based on race or color? Can I start a night club here and not allow Koreans in it??

You are in Asia.

It is legal (or as legal as red-light-districts are) to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age and even the name of your high school.

You have virtually "0" chance of redress and if you complain too loudly and/or do anything to damage their business reputation they can file suit and/or criminal charges against you for it.

Pick another club.

interestedinhanguk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoned wrote:

Yes.

There are, on occasion, certain events/places that favor foreigners. Things like festivals sometimes have free admittance for foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: