Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life After Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoul Newfie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Life After Korea Reply with quote

It's a long way away (as far as I feel now), but I was wondering about life after Korea.

Are there any means where a person teaching in Korea can further their education while still teaching?

I was thinking that I won't be doing this for the rest of my life, and well, a degree is not really worth the paper it's printed on these days for the most part.

I have a BSc. in Physics and Math, but could not find a job in Canada that would pay me enough to live and pay my loans at the same time (the reason I am here).

I was hoping to further this degree, or doing something relevant to it. Are there any places that offer worthwhile online/mail courses. Or even better do any of the universities here have science, technology, or education courses that they offer in English and would be recognized back home?

My thoughts revolved around me becoming a �real� teacher, or getting some diploma in some technical field.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? Has anyone done something like this or is currently doing it that could offer me advice.

Thanks!
Guy Incognito

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help you. I'm sitting here in my parent's home wondering if I can go to Japan or something because working at the Sobeys seems to be all I can do with my BFA.
l'il kim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go to teacher's college for a year back at MUN or wherever, get that B.Ed and become a math/science teacher? That would pay a living wage. And since you expressed an interest in the profession and are looking to go "legit"...
Seoul Newfie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="l'il kim"]Why not go to teacher's college for a year back at MUN or wherever, get that B.Ed and become a math/science teacher? That would pay a living wage. And since you expressed an interest in the profession and are looking to go "legit"...[/quote]

I guess I want my cake and eat it too. I want to make the money here but go to school as well.

In actual fact I would prefer not to become a legit teacher. I like what I do here, but I don't think I could teach the rest of my life. Teaching is an option, but not my 1st choice for a career.
princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by princess on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:16 am; edited 3 times in total
RR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Getting a life Reply with quote

If I may offer some positive suggestions:
1) Keep yourself up to date. I know its hard, but don't return to Canada with outdated skills (thinking computers here)
2) Don't stay in Korea too long. I'm gonna be honest here, a lot of people go overseas and get stuck. If you teach in Korea for 8 years and then return to Canada you'll find yourself in a spot. A lot of people will basically treat youas if you've been unemployed for the last 8 years...
BTW: You are Canadian, right?
3) Teach, save your money, go back and get a further education etc...

Most important, don't get stuck. It's good for a short time, but.... Also, don't listent to all the negative "it sucks back home" stuff, its just people trying to justify their (usually bad) position.

Very Happy Good Luck
R
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR, your being too narrow minded here.
Peope will not treat you as if you were unemployed for the duration after you come back from Korea.
Some may but not all.
In fact, most of the canadian friends I met in Korea wound up getting good jobs back home either in teaching or in the private sector.
Teaching ESL in Korea can also be a long term thing if you work on it. There are univiersity teaching jobs in Korea, you can do another diploma while there and perhaps even learn Korean which will open up quite a few options.
In fact, learning Korea is an asset for you even if you intend on going back home...why?
The CDN federal government is looking for people with language skills to work as translators or in other trade related fields.
Canadian companies doing business in Korea also need consultants who speak Korean and have in-country experience.
These jobs will not fall in your lap but they are out there and with some effort you can profit from your experiences in Korea.
To say that it matters for nothing or its only good for a short time is very narrow minded and simplistic.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of CSIS jobs for Canucks who know Korean....
gbm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seconding what icons said,
CSIS recruiters have been hitting universities looking for people who can speak SE asian languages.

you have to be able to keep secrets tho, of course. Wink

but it might not be a bad place to get work if you're stuck on something else to do.
RR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Maybe Reply with quote

OK, that is true. I'm just sounding a warning, that's all.

Also, I don't know how many companies and translation services are looking for native English speakers with some Korean. I think it is more likely the opposite, Koreans with good English. Also, there are A LOT of Korean immigrants that are bilingual, so I think the market for a whitey with OK Korean would be small at best. But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Very Happy Good luck
RR
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course RR,
The market is not looking for whitey's with average Korean skills...they need people that are reasonably fluent in Hangul.
That goes without saying.
Like I said its not wide open but there are possibilities to explore out there and to make your Korean experience count.
You can do this while IN Korea too. Start planning a little, get a degree at a Korean University or at least some language courses. These will benefit you.
As for teaching, you do take something away from it if your intent is to teach back home. Many schools back home will consider it a plus that you have some teaching experience even if it is in Korea.
These are not going to fall in your lap, but, with some effort and iniative your Korean experience can pay off.
peter07

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: To Princess Reply with quote

I'm going back to Korea after 9+ years to LA. I think you can get a job if you're willing to retool and stuff. I don't expect my Korean experience to count for s**t in the US but hey, I don't regret my stay.

Basically, you can't be an economic refugee forever. If you offer value to a job, you can get a good one.
william beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try the recruiting thing once I go back home. Mostly because I'm a heartless SOB and feel no shame in sending some hapless Arts grad to kindergarten hell.

That's not true... I just feel that misery loves company.

Okay, that's not true either. I want people to understand me and you can never really understand someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes... or in this case: Had the hagwon system drag them a mile behind their car.

That's not true either. I just like money.

Goodnight!
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking of doing a course in acupuncture, I like inflicting pain and let's face it, it's more fun than teaching. I could even do some good!
PootyTang

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me approx 15 months back in the land of the living to get my crap together and find a decent (technical) gig. I don't make a mint but I'm working from home now through VPN on a cable modem and it's not bad. I think if you take the time to educate yourself and have a goal in mind you can accomplish whatever you want to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: