Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Share 3 true things about yourself.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
I suppose sleeping with anything that moves at the risk of spreading HIV and any other STD is a 'shining' example of non-religious, humanist morality.

I think your characterization of men as nothing more than horny animals ready to do whatever they can get away with is pretty crass and inaccurate.

That may be true of some people, but not everybody is like that. I find those who effortlessly trash religion can only think about sex and nothing else when it comes to analysing gender.

You develop a philosophy of life based on the throwaway comment of a tedious stand-up comic?

I've visited Thailand, it was depressing. Women prostituing themselves to get out of abject poverty, very young kids on the street cleaning cars as drivers stop at traffic lights etc.

As in Korea, every street corner had some form of massage parlour. I'd say that is a major weakness, and I'd say their their lack of monotheistic faith is the cause of that. It's a bit disgusting to see women as nothing more than prostitutes, it seems Asia has no problem with that.

Some men may actually want to be faithful to their women. Sure, some may not care. While others may find their lust gets the better of them.

But to suggest all men will cheat whenever they get the chance is a major generalization. I was faithful to my wife until we got divorced. Laughing

re-read what I wrote. Where did I suggest that "all men will cheat"?
I said this will be a personal, rather than a culturally or geographically influenced decision, though of course in a lot of the Middle East, such decision may be influenced by the existence of something called the "religious police", with actual beating and jailing power, etc.

what I did say was that for an overwhelming majority of non religiously brainwashed men, sex and love will remain two very different things. This is not to suggest they cannot exist together, merely to suggest they can easily exist apart. There are some women who also think this way, though clearly not nearly as many as in the male case.

I don't develop philosophies on life based on a comedian's sayings, but that said, I also don't develop them based on supposedly "holy" books written by some dead men thousands of years ago (this would include ALL holy book, including the one you supposedly cherish). I would say the comedian has to be on to something when everyone laughs so heartily at a joke he makes.

speaking of which - you clearly infer some kind of sexual liaison after your divorce. Doesn't your religion call those things outside of "holy marriage" a "sin", as well?

I don't want to argue prostitution here, but nobody sees all women as prostitutes, in Asia or anywhere else. I would say that it should be an option, however unsavory, for those with no better options or if they do it purely for their own personal jollies/reasons. Clearly in the Thai case, some of the girls in Isaan see it as a better option than breaking their backs in 40 degree sun in the rice paddies all day (and some don't) or working for pennies to make your 100 dollar Nike shoes. Don't you find it interesting that prositution exists in every country, even those with no abject poverty and is sometimes practiced by women who aren't in abject poverty or don't come from that environment?

if prostitution is the world's oldest profession, then how does that work exactly? did abject poverty come before work, aka professions? or only after it?

Lastly, if humans had the ability to eradicate themselves based on non-monogamous sex, we would have all killed ourselves off the planet thousands and thousands of years ago.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did I infer I was involved in something sinful?!! I said I was faithful to my wife, we got divorced and that was it. During the marriage I was only intimate with my wife.

Clearly, you lack the ability to understand written English. Laughing

I went to Thailand for one day because it was summer vacation at school and I needed a break from Korea. I merely observed the nasty prevalence of cheap working girls all over the place, it's hard to miss it.

Your assumption people in the Middle East only refrain from promiscuous sex due to fear of religious police is very foolish. Has it occurred to you some people may refrain from such activity because they genuinely believe in God and fear Him?
The Happy Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I've found that a little salt, MSG, and Hua Jiao Fen can make a great difference on my steamed vegetable and beans cooking

2) Someone who posts on this site changed my life (for the better) and prolly doesn't even realize it

3) I live in Beijing, China and am looking for a roommate for my place so PM me if you're interested
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
Where did I infer I was involved in something sinful?!! I said I was faithful to my wife, we got divorced and that was it. During the marriage I was only intimate with my wife.

Clearly, you lack the ability to understand written English. Laughing

I went to Thailand for one day because it was summer vacation at school and I needed a break from Korea. I merely observed the nasty prevalence of cheap working girls all over the place, it's hard to miss it.

Your assumption people in the Middle East only refrain from promiscuous sex due to fear of religious police is very foolish. Has it occurred to you some people may refrain from such activity because they genuinely believe in God and fear Him?

I inferred what I inferred simply because of this statement and I assure you my comprehension ability would outrate yours (based on any so called standardized testing method)

fromtheuk - ' I was faithful to my wife until we got divorced. '

it's the second clause in the sentence, starting with the word 'until' that I find confusing. It's completely unnecessary to what you were supposedly trying to say. Or what it is that you were trying to say, exactly?

re Middle East, etc, sure "some" people have those beliefs, and not only in the Middle East, but I already excluded people that weren't "religiously brainwashed" in my previous post.

people shouldn't "fear" any supposed imaginary Deity/Deities. (as an aside, obviously this fear isn't as prevalent as you and some others would prefer it to be, hence the existence of this so called "religious police")

this is why Buddhism is easily the most pure and logically understandeable of the major religions.

when I went to Thailand, what I observed and found "depressing", was the prevalence of casually comfortably dressed and completely unencumbered ME males walking around the street stalls looking around, trailed by about 3-6 feet by fat black shawled females, dressed in abayas and boshiyas in 40 C weather, carrying every single shopping bag on her arms, while sometimes also pushing a baby carriage.

Last edited by Cerberus on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may as well respond to the OP topic

1) I cannot compete with John Holmes (or Greg Oden for you youngsters)
2) I look/feel and act younger than I am
3) I have a love/hate relationship with Korea.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Until' meaning when the marriage ended, the issue of being faithful to my wife ended, hence the term until.

I don't see why you found M.E. people depressing in those places. Why dislike them more than others if everybody engages in the same activity? Is it because they don't practice what they preach?

It seems you could care less what they believe in, but maybe your dislike for them is for who they are and not what they represent. Why no disgust for the Europeans, North Americans who go there?

Buddhism is a deityless religion which explains why you find it most understandable.

Please don't assure me your comprehension ability would outrate mine. That's childish and an unnecessary comment to make. The fact you can't see that suggests you lack common sense.

You also can't spell understandable correctly. Laughing

At least you came back to the original topic, which is good. It's nice to see you're not a tr%ll, arguing for the sake of it. Cool
Cerberus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fromtheuk wrote:
'Until' meaning when the marriage ended, the issue of being faithful to my wife ended, hence the term until.

I don't see why you found M.E. people depressing in those places. Why dislike them more than others if everybody engages in the same activity? Is it because they don't practice what they preach?

It seems you could care less what they believe in, but maybe your dislike for them is for who they are and not what they represent. Why no disgust for the Europeans, North Americans who go there?

Buddhism is a deityless religion which explains why you find it most understandable.

Please don't assure me your comprehension ability would outrate mine. That's childish and an unnecessary comment to make. The fact you can't see that suggests you lack common sense.

You also can't spell understandable correctly. Laughing

At least you came back to the original topic, which is good. It's nice to see you're not a tr%ll, arguing for the sake of it. Cool

there was no reason to use until. in your sentence. Its use suggested the possibility of something that I had inferred.

it's only those specific ME people that I found depressing/annoying. I find reasons to be annoyed/disgusted with people from other parts of the world, believe me. One can only imagine what if Bangkok became inundated with American white trash or British soccer hooligans.

There were many others who I very much liked, first and foremost my favorite waiter at my favorite restaurant, which happened to be Lebanese.

Buddhism makes sense because at its core it's all about aspiring to be the best person one can be, and ultimately reaping what one sows (if you believe in re-incarnation), without all the deity worship, fantasy stories, books, puritanism, rules, regulations and threats that are the bane of all the other nonsense the too scared to die people either choose to or are brainwashed into believing.
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I like to see my threads everywhere on this forum.
2) I love fruit blended with bananas or apples into a drink, I think some youngsters call it a smoothie.
3) I sometimes hug my pillow and pretend it is my ideal woman.
potblackettle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I am a zombie fanatic. I love all things zombie.
2. I can't sit with my back to a door.
3. I have an adorable almost 3 year old son.
vDroop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed

Last edited by vDroop on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjv8603 wrote:
1.) I used to hike naked a lot, but can't because there are too many hikers in Korea

Try the sandy riverbank in 장호원 and the one in 합천.
I've taken naked hikes in both places and never got in trouble.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm opposite Young Frankenstein: I'm no good with students older than kids, and I've lost count of how many times I've been fired for that reason.

2. I tie with Oreovictim as the world's worst sports fan.

3. I've wanted to meet Molly Bloom and discuss James Joyce with her but now I can't because she's getting married.
nikki15

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

potblackettle wrote:

Ever played the computer game Plants VS. Zombies? Ammmazzinng

1. I fantasize about going back home to Canada basically everyday, but:
Student Loans + A serious lack of teaching jobs = Korea

2. I've wanted to be a teacher all my life, but if I got the chance to be on broadway I'd take it in a second.

3. I LOVE anything dill pickle
potblackettle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikki15 wrote:
potblackettle wrote:

Ever played the computer game Plants VS. Zombies? Ammmazzinng

1. I fantasize about going back home to Canada basically everyday, but:
Student Loans + A serious lack of teaching jobs = Korea

2. I've wanted to be a teacher all my life, but if I got the chance to be on broadway I'd take it in a second.

3. I LOVE anything dill pickle

I've played Zombie Farm and Dead Rising, but not Plants vs. Zombies.

And now I"m off to find it.
geosdsd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I am ethnically Korean, American according to my nationality, and Mexican by culture.

2. I am obsessed/addicted to the game series, The Sims. I've been playing it since 2000. I am a recovered addict, but I have occasional relapses when I play them on my friend's computer. I don't have them installed on my computer (it wouldn't be able to run them anyways).

3. Korean dramas are my guilty pleasure. They're terribly written, cliched, and just plain awful, but I watch them anyways. It started out as a hobby to practice my Korean, but that's just an excuse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: