Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Boot Camp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: TEFL Boot Camp Reply with quote

any opinions on the TEFL 160 hour certificate program offered through TEFLbootcamp.com? i know it's better to have a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA program that includes in-class teaching, but i'm pressed for time and don't want to spend a huge amount of money on this.

this program also includes 20 hours of business english which i thought would be useful. i'm looking into job prospects outside of korea, however since i figured this board gets the most traffic, it would be better posted here. i welcome any opinions regarding this specific program in terms of korean work opportunities too, of course.

thanks!

edit: by the way, this is accredited by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL Boot Camp Reply with quote

nomad-ish wrote:
any opinions on the TEFL 160 hour certificate program offered through TEFLbootcamp.com? i know it's better to have a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA program that includes in-class teaching, but i'm pressed for time and don't want to spend a huge amount of money on this.

this program also includes 20 hours of business english which i thought would be useful. i'm looking into job prospects outside of korea, however since i figured this board gets the most traffic, it would be better posted here. i welcome any opinions regarding this specific program in terms of korean work opportunities too, of course.

thanks!

edit: by the way, this is accredited by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.

A lot would depend on the "WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO" after Korea.

IF you are headed for Europe (have a European passport / it is a no-go zone for Americans) then it will not even be considered (need one with real teaching practicum and the CELTA/SIT/Trinity are the preferred brand name courses.)

IF you are headed for places like China, SE Asia (NOT including Thailand), or Central/South America then it won't matter what flavor or brand of TESOL cert you get. Your degree trumps the TESOL cert.

Thailand is brand conscious but your degree gets you the job, visa and work permit so the brand of TESOL is largely irrelevant (but again, CELTA, SIT, Trinity are the preferred brands) and most places (other than the universities) won't worry about the practicum (or lack thereof) due to your real classroom experience.

nomad-ish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL Boot Camp Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
nomad-ish wrote:

thanks!

A lot would depend on the "WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO" after Korea.

IF you are headed for Europe (have a European passport / it is a no-go zone for Americans) then it will not even be considered (need one with real teaching practicum and the CELTA/SIT/Trinity are the preferred brand name courses.)

IF you are headed for places like China, SE Asia (NOT including Thailand), or Central/South America then it won't matter what flavor or brand of TESOL cert you get. Your degree trumps the TESOL cert.

Thailand is brand conscious but your degree gets you the job, visa and work permit so the brand of TESOL is largely irrelevant (but again, CELTA, SIT, Trinity are the preferred brands) and most places (other than the universities) won't worry about the practicum (or lack thereof) due to your real classroom experience.

thanks ttompatz. i haven't narrowed down my search yet, so right now i'm looking into asia, eastern europe (russia), and south america. neither of my degrees are in english or education, so i'm hoping this will help me get noticed when applying to jobs. it must seem strange to employers who look at my resume and see 3 years of EFL teaching experience, yet no certification or related degree. Confused
ddeubel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nomad-ish,

Have you asked further questions with TEFL Bootcamp? Also, checked that they really are accredited and what that process was?

I'm just saying that in this business, due diligence is really needed. Caveat emptor seems to be the code words when it comes to TEFL courses.

I liked TEFL Bootcamps old, free site. Lots of valuable advice. Recently, over the last 2 months, I've been reviewing certificate courses and really am a little sceptical but may be wrong. Seems the course is just a lot of reading / writing and free handbooks. Nothing comprehensive or "personal".

Personal is key. I will have a course, accredited too, available end of Feb. Each student will be tutored and get valuable feedback. The focus besides the basic TEFL certificate will be technology and there will be a practicum. However, the key to all these online courses is that there is a person there guiding you and who has the experience and passion to make the course training more than paint by numbers (which so many certificate courses are).

In short, i'd suggest getting more info. directly from TEFL bootcamp and ACTFL.

David

http://eflclassroom.com
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in Korea already, there are a few universities here which hold TEFL/TESOL courses in collaboration with American universities. Usually they are 1 or 2 months long and are in class. Depending on the two universities involved the quality and price may vary. You also have the option of going to Vietnam for a month to do the CELTA there (it's cheaper than doing it in Seoul).

As was already mentioned, in Europe (including Russia) they want a well known certificate or some kinds of reputable credentials. They likely won't be interested in a TEFL certificate from a university or private business that they've never heard of.

As far as teaching experience goes, most people who have worked in ELT for a while know that in general experience in Korea isn't as valuable as experience in most other places. So, don't count on your 3 years of experience here getting you a job in South America or Europe. The DOS or a senior teacher likely knows how it is to teach in Korea. Without a degree in a relevant subject or a TEFL certificate from a reputable school, you're application will either go on to the bottom of the pile or the recycling box.

In short, online TEFL certificates or certificates from unknown schools are about as valuable as online degrees from unheard of universities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: