Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is THIS a visa extension??!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Is THIS a visa extension??!! Reply with quote

Okay, I've never done the visa extension before until about 2 weeks ago. What I want to know is if someone else has experienced this: The whole thing took about 5 minutes. I filled out a visa extension application and had my passport and the residency card. The guy pulled up my information on the computer and then wrote the extension date on the back of my residency card. Done. That was it. Nothing was stamped in my passport and I didn't pay any fees. Is this the norm? I just don't feel too good about not having that stamp in my passport...but everything appeared to be cool. Has anyone else had this kind of thing(no stamp in the passport and no fees) happen when extending a visa??
Anda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

It sounds okay! Some nationalities pay for visa's and some don't like the British for instance. As long as it is marked on the back of your alian card I wouldn't worry.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats it. Last visa in my passport is dated 1999.
dakdungchim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Doesn't sound too good. . . Reply with quote

I'm an American. I was sent on a Visa Trip 2 weeks before I started to work, so I needed an extension a year later. I needed a ticket out in my hand, I think a W30,000 fee, and a stamp on my passport. I was on the infamous Daegu subway 6 times that day--my travel agent was near the espresso shop across from Burger King, and I had to subway back and forth to the immigration office a number of times.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the usual procedure, but if you are concerned go back to immigration and confirm that you don't need a stamp in your passport.
Each time I have renewed I have had my passport and alien card stamped and had to pay a fee. I suppose it depends on the immigration office you go to, as they seem to have differing methods for just about everything.

Still crazy, still here.
thinker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's how mine went, at the airport on your way out the guy looks at your passport and see it's past the date, then you hand in your card> > >have a nice flight. . . Wink
Singer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: visa extension Reply with quote

You have 2 different subjects going here. When you extend your visa, you stay with the same hagwon. In that case, they only update your registration card.

If you change schools, then you are getting a completely new visa and alien registration card. That is not an extension.
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should clarify...I'm not re-signing with the school, I am merely getting an extension on the visa itself. I'm not too worried because they did do something with the computer and they did write on the back of my alien card. I mean, if they can't do things the right way...that's their bad. If there is a problem in the future, I'll simply explain the situation.........
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishmaster wrote:
I mean, if they can't do things the right way...that's their bad. If there is a problem in the future, I'll simply explain the situation.........

It IS their bad, and you CAN explain the situation, but leave yourself plenty of explaining time. You'd hate to be trying to make your flight and having to miss it because you had to explain to immigration why your t's aren't crossed and your i's aren't dotted.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singer,
They do in fact put a visa extension stamp in your passport. It is called "Permission For Extension of Sojourn Period", and it is applied at the immigration office when you renew your contract. Same hogwan, same owners, similar contract. They also stamp the back of the Alien Card. So without them I would be concerned that all is not sweet.

Still crazy, still here.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg to differ here, & from firsthand experience. I have changed employers, I have never left the country on a visa run, & I've never had my original E2 updated in my passport. I've been in & out of the country on numerous occasions, never a hassle. (You have to keep up with re-entry permits though.) Yes, some immigration offices interpret the rules differently, but if all parties are willing, it's completely legit to change jobs & continue working here with nothing more than a handwritten notation on your alien card (& whatever they enter on their computers).
Anda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

When you leave Korea Immigration will bring your file up on their computer at the airport if anything looks wrong. If it's on computer then you are okay if not then headacke.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No issue here - never had a new stamp in my passport when renewing and staying with same employer.

I also got a new passport recently, and needed the extension as a result (they only gave me my latest visa up to the end of my passport validity last time). No new stamp at all (just a scribble on my foreigner card), which means I still have a totally unmarked passport.

My wife asked, deliberately, if this was cool as we left, and she was assured it's SOP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: