Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coastal cities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotsalsa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Coastal cities Reply with quote

Hello!

I've been researching cities where I'd like to work in and have narrowed it down to Ulsan, Masan and Busan. Any comments on the living conditions in these cities would be most welcomed or if you can suggest some other cities on the coast. thanks!

I tried to scan the postings to make sure I'm not repeating the question, but sorry in advance if you've already answered this before. Smile
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious, why are you interested in masan and ulsan? Why not Mapo, Gangneung, or Sokcho? I've personally never been to Masan or Ulsan but from what i've heard they're not the nicest spots in the country.
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: coastal cities Reply with quote

I lived in Masan for one year, Pusan for one year and Ulsan for 5 years (not continously). I am about to start my sixth year in Ulsan. That works for me. However, Pusan would be my recommendation, especially for a first timer, or someone who enjoys "Western" things. (Pusan is more of an "international city". It is really big (Korea's largest port city), and there are a few more luxuries (non-Korean food, Pusanweb, foreigner activities).
Ulsan would be second (one million people, the Detroit of Korea, little cultural activity, but some friendly people). Masan wasn't my cup of tea.
Masan is a smaller port city, not many non-Korean activities. But, the bottom line, IMHO, is that overall there isn't THAT much difference. For example, Why do I like Pusan? It has a Burger King!
hotsalsa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: coastal cities Reply with quote

I am looking for the nicer beaches, not necessarily the cities with the most "western" things/restaurants etc. Although I know that for my first year I don't want to be in a small town either. Ulsan seemed like a good compromise with a pop. of 1 million, beach and close to Busan.

But I will look into the others. Thanks for the suggestions! Smile
Man of Changwon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good beach in Korea(except maybe Jeju). Good luck. The beaches here are average to say the least. I had a fight with a korean man the other day who tried to tell me that Haeundae beach was better than every beach in Australia. He obviously hasn't been to Australia. Haeundae and Gwangali beach in Busan are so-so but in summer forget. Half of Seoul comes down to sit on 10 centimeters of sand each. It is ridicuolous. Forget abou the beaches in Masan, polluted and I'm pretty sure the same goes for ulsan. Try Gangwon-do, Jeju-do, or southwestern Jeolla nam do. You obviously haven't been to Korea.
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man of Changwon wrote:
[For] Good beach[es] in Korea try southwestern Jeolla nam do. .

Yeah, that is if you like tidal flats, no surf, and very little rocking eye candy.

Last edited by weatherman on Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man of Changwon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no surf in Korea at all. Thye closest place for good surf is the north coast of Japan. I've done the trip twice. It is worth it after seeing the piss poor conditions here.
sid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I drove through Masan on my Korea road trip last summer. Can't remember anything about the place, but it is the closest city to Goje-do (island) which is very nice. Some quiet, scenic little beaches if you have the wheels to get there.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat - i was all set to jump in here & suggest Changwon, as a city. But you need nice beaches in the South???

Urrrr. . . well, as a beach I like Sonjeong, just up above Hyundae, but it can get just as crowded. I have never been to the beaches in Ul-san area, so cant speak for them personally.

I HAVE spent time on beaches in je-ju, which would be ok, if you could live on an island that small for a year.

Maybe, Ko-je do as a possibility? But I can't speak for the cities or job opportunities.

I guess the reason for the beach might be important, as well. Swimming, tanning, watersports, the atmosphere, etc.?

I am now in the outskirts of Seoul, and the weather is warming, which is very frustrating - I am a daily sunbather type, but if you try to do it anywhere but a beach here, people will stre, laugh, call their friends, call the police, poke you to see if you are drunk/dead, etc. *SIGH!!!* Evil or Very Mad

Good luck,

Glen
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sokcho on the east coast is nice and there are decent beaches all up and down the east coast. on the other hand, they're closed most of the year because of our wonderful neighbors to the north.

if you want beaches (and a nice atmosphere to boot) you had better stick to cheju-do or sokcho (the biggest, [i]nicest[/i] "small town") you could live in without getting Klaustrophobia.
twoteach

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Coastal Cities....job available Reply with quote

I am teaching in Sokcho and will be leaving at the end of my contract. They need a replacement to start June 1. We are surrounded by beautiful mountains and beautiful beaches. The main public beaches are crowded in the summer, but there are MANY that are not, just have to know where to go.

It's a great job, fabulous, huge apartment, etc.

If you want the specifics, email me and I will fill you in.

[email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: