Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you had LASEK eye surgery?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blakely

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Have you had LASEK eye surgery? Reply with quote

i know there are threads but most are dated and about LASIK.

Who has had LASEK surgery here in Korea? . . .i'm very curious about the recovery period. I'm thinking of having it done on a friday night and going to school monday morning. Apparently I am the perfect candidate for the surgery 28yrs old,-3 vision and no astigmatisms or thin/thick retina.

Looking for any feedback here Surprised)
sallymonster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it over two weeks ago. My eyesight is better, but still blurry.

I was teaching again after 3 days, but I don't recommend it. I still had awful photo-phobia (light sensitivity) at that point, I could hardly see my students, and I was dumping eyedrops into my eyes every 2 minutes. You should give it at least 4-5 days, or until they take out the bandage contact lens. Also, buy lots of audio entertainment (think music and audio books) because your eyes will be too tired to look at much of anything for those first several days.
tokkibunni8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine done over the summer. I don't recommend teaching after 3 days. It was still quite painful after 3 days. I was glad I did it over summer break and had two full weeks without any classes to teach.

I was also the "perfect" candidate for lasek. Very happy with the result. 4months and better than perfect vision. Hope it stays that way Smile
blakely

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: sallymonster Reply with quote

hey sally i really need to have it done over a weekend.....can i grin and bare it for the day on monday? you said you did it...besides not seeing your students and the eye drops...was there pain? I work at a laid back hagwon so...my job isn't too stressing ...2-6 students/class.
goniff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No!! it's really scary! I hate wearing glasses now but I don't want to end up like John Milton especially as I can't write poetry like him!
blakely

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh - I don't want to say that last comment made completely no sense....but it certainly was strange.
goniff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh...sorry ... I don't have the heart to tell you...except there are significant risks (to your sight) with LASEK...
blackjack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Have you had LASEK eye surgery? Reply with quote

blakely wrote:
i know there are threads but most are dated and about LASIK.

Who has had LASEK surgery here in Korea? . . .i'm very curious about the recovery period. I'm thinking of having it done on a friday night and going to school monday morning. Apparently I am the perfect candidate for the surgery 28yrs old,-3 vision and no astigmatisms or thin/thick retina.

Looking for any feedback here Surprised)

I did it. It wasn't easy but very doable

this thread is not really dated

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=141346&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180
blakely

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Goniff ...Awww it's ok, you try to pretend you actually know what you're talking about. I don't know how to tell you either....but, well you're wrong. I don't know you, but i'm sure that's the story of your life by the impression you give from your comments. I've done weeks of research, read almost every forum and online article there is, including medical journal reports and consulted 4 different clinics and people who have had it done with the same eye sight as me...i have a masters, so after 7 years of school i've got the research skills a bit more advanced and tuned up than yours.

Please just if you have something to actually input on threads where people need information, don't write down misinformed, skewed comments just because you've read a few extraordinary cases where surgery has been botched. God help you when you're older and actually need surgery. You're gonna be in trouble if you're looking for anything out there with 100% success rate lol.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it at Hello Lasik. First night was ok, second night was horrible. Have better than perfect vision now.

Um, I suggest you do it when you have more time off. I'm 28 as well, but had nearly -6 vision. I'd been told I had a slight astigmatism, but after 2 hours of testing at Gangnam, they said that I didn't and that had further screwed up my eyes.

I had it done on a Fri or Sat, spent the night at my friend's, then went home for the second night. (I'm kind of spoiled in the fact that I had it done during final grading period, so I just had to sit at my desk and then had 10 weeks off) It was kind of bad, I ended up caving and taking aspirin, but then was ok. I went to work on Monday, but it was finals week, so I just had to sit at my desk. vision wasn't perfect then, it took about 10 days. And I wore sunglasses inside for nearly a week. At work I had to wear sunglasses because the light hurt my eyes and working on the computer was horrible. there's probably no way I could have taught. Not becuase of the pain, it was more eye strain, but I couldn't see clearly.

I think you'd be better off waiting until the day before Lunar New Year. yOu're not going to want to teach after you have it done.

Sorry, I keep editing. Hello Lasik has a guarantee, so if there are any issues, they'll fix it. Though I highly doubt you'll have issues. Lots of celebs go there, and they've done more surgeries than most places in the US. they've had years of experience as well. They speak English decently.

You COULD do it over the weekend, just be sure to bring painkillers and eyedrops to school. If you teach little kids, be careful they don't smack you in the eyes. If you're going to teach the Monday after, I'd tell the students ahead of time and have some quiet exercises for them to work on for a couple days: reading, games, activitiy corners, etc. Or if you have a co-teacher, ask them to help you.

Oh, they gave me 4 tylonel ERs to take the day off the surgery. I took 2 and started turning red, but felt no pain Smile I threw the other two out. They give you anti puffy drops, anti infection drops, and re-wetting drops. I still have to use the anti something drops twice a day. They really take care of you at this place.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakely wrote:
I've done weeks of research, read almost every forum and online article there is, including medical journal reports and consulted 4 different clinics .

Wow, you did more research than I did. I looked at two clinics, went to one and had the surgery a couple months later.

Which clinics have you looked at anyways?
freeridden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Dream Eye Clinic in Gangnam. The staff and doctors there are very helpful and forthcoming.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeridden wrote:
I went to Dream Eye Clinic in Gangnam. The staff and doctors there are very helpful and forthcoming.

Ok, wait, that's where I went too. It's just that their website is called hello lasik. whoops. I need to go to bed. Embarassed
kardisa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on having LASIK in Korea , but I can say that you won't regret having the procedure done.

I was not exactly an ideal candidate; I had thin corneas (just above the minimum thickness) and an astigmatism in my right eye. I had the IntraLase LASKI procedure on a Thursday, and by the time I returned to the doctor for my check-up 24 hours later, my vision was 20/15. I had no problem going to work the following Monday. Keep in mind, you'll probably have extremely dry eyes and night-time halos for the first few weeks, but they will go away after your corneas heal.

It's been 3 years since I've had my surgery, and my vision is now a stable 20/10 in both eyes. It's awesome.
thomas pars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check inbox brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: