Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

short contract extension possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tancred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: short contract extension possible? Reply with quote

hi all...

I was wondering if it's possible to request a 2-month contract extension. Here's what i'm hoping, and this would be kind of ideal for me...i plan on asking my employer if he'd like to extend my contract for 2 months, but paying my "severence" or 12-month bonus or whatever it is at the end of the 12th month instead of at the end of the new 14-month extension. Is this kind of arrangement feasible. My boss is pretty easy going and i can only think that it would be in his interest to extend the contract as i seem to be doing well with the teaching (although definitely burning out), and for financial reasons, he could postpone getting another native teacher for another 2 months.

Is this kind of thing possible in a nice legal fashion? What are the possible implications of such a proposal? Also, will he be offended that i request the severence pay at the end of the 12-month original contract? All opinions would be appreciated...particularly if anyone's done this kind of thing before...as i'm sure some must have.

thanks in advance...

the mighty tancred.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extended my first contract by about one month, and the experience was overall a nightmare. This was due to the fact that I didn't know what to look out for.

It's very legal to do. It just requires another trip to immigration. There's a fee(mine was 60,000, but I had a multiple entry visa), and a little bit of paperwork, but it's easier than the original visa application.

The problems come in when immigration is supposed to stamp something, or write something, somewhere. Make absolutely sure that you get some physical statement that states your extended visa date. Don't leave the immigration office until you get it, either. This was the only reason that my contract extension was a nightmare; otherwise, everything went well.
Singer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: visa extension Reply with quote

In my experience, they make a notation on the back of your Alien Registration Card as to how long the extension is and when it expires.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tancred,
The short answer is yes. Your boss has to submit a new contract, letter of continued sponsorship, business rego/tax/hogwan papers, your passport and alien card + 30,000won. The letter of sponsorhip can be for any period up to 12 months, so that is where the time factor applies.
My boss had actually forgot to fill that part in, and immigration asked me how long I would like to expend for! (5 seconds came to mind immediately, but we settled on 12 months). I did the lot myself in about 5 mins. Make sure the Letter of Sponsorship is Notorised otherwise Immigration send you off to get it done, and that can be a hassle with little or no Korean skills (me!).

Still crazy, still here.
Tancred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies all...i shall indeed try this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: