Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract Postings

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Contract Postings Reply with quote

So, we aren't supposed to post contracts on individual threads? Instead, we post all on one long thread?

I suggest they make a contract forum, and this way we can post a new thread for each new contract. If we are following up on one discussion and one contract it will be easier to follow than having other contracts and discussions mixed in with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RMNC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current system seems to work but the original post is horribly outdated. Perhaps with mod approval I might be able start a new thread with the pertinent advice and suggestions? I'll send one of them a message.

I will, however, agree that there should be a reduction in the number of stickied threads. Some of them are years old and merely clog the forums, the General Discussion section most of all.

Maybe there DOES need to be a advice/help forum?
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe there DOES need to be a advice/help forum?

Yea, I agree. Maybe the Job-related forum could be something where people discuss subjective things like "Should I ask my co-teacher......", or "Should my boss help me....', basically things that occur "on the job" after the job search is done.

Then, have the advice/help forum deal with contracts and issues before coming to Korea (like visas and documents) and disputes or things that might be more concrete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RMNC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimitiris says hel'll check into it. Let's hope so.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the contract posting sticky is ok. There's not really any discussion on it. Simply a post with a contract and a few replies with advice. No one is every interested in anything but the most recent contracts posted there.

With many of the other stickies, I'd suggest either moving them to the FAQ folder, or getting rid of the rule of "if there's a sticky on a related topic, you can't start a new thread", even if you might get more useful replies from a new thread.
lifeinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
I think that the contract posting sticky is ok. There's not really any discussion on it. Simply a post with a contract and a few replies with advice. No one is every interested in anything but the most recent contracts posted there.

With many of the other stickies, I'd suggest either moving them to the FAQ folder, or getting rid of the rule of "if there's a sticky on a related topic, you can't start a new thread", even if you might get more useful replies from a new thread.

In total, I agree, it's not much. However, if you are following comments about one contract that interests you, then you are likely to miss some of them since newer contracts are posted and the trouble of scrolling though them to find the 1 or 2 comments added aren't worth it. The end result, the discussion dies and whatever the person was going to contribute to the discussion is held back due to "inconveniences"

RMNC is suggesting a broader area where maybe we could follow these threads individually. Some people can spend more time looking at the contracts which pertain to overall salary or time off/hours for example.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With several hundred pages of contracts you can rest assured that there is NOTHING new in anyone's contract.

If any newbie actually had the sense that Ghod gave to green apples they would simply cruise through a few pages and find the contract from their particular hagwan.

I know the old excuse... I really should but I don't have the time and it doesn't hold water either. If someone was going to commit to a year or more under contract you would think they could find a couple hours to scan the thread and get a decent understanding of what should and should not be in a contract.

No time to spend a few hours to cruise through and scan the thread then you have no time to get on a plane and jump 1/2 way across the planet.

RMNC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimitiris gave me the go-ahead for a new contract thread. It'll be up in a few hours. No idea about the help/advice forum thing, but it's a start. I'll post it in a few hours.
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never think to go into the contract sticky. My eye scans over anything with the word "sticky" so I can get to the "meat" of the forum.

So yeah, a change is probably needed.
RMNC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the new contract thread. The old one will be unstuck and this new one will be stickied.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2544534#2544534
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: