Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Is YBM Like?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
definitely maybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for YBM ECC in Seoul a long time ago. There were times when I grew frustrated with the academic supervisors, one of whom was sleeping with staff members as well, but it wasn't a bad gig overall. A large number of foreign teachers from my branch stayed on for additional years with YBM and elsewhere. Apparently a lot of people still do. Toonchoon is a product of the same branch where I worked, and there are still five or six holdovers from year who are still in country. Most of us are in the college/university system now as well.
marsavalanche

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my first contract with a YBM school.

Got everything I was promised. They did ask us to work 2 Sat. in one month (contract says 1) so some teachers didn't, were not penalized, but I volunteered to do it because it's overtime and it's not like it's hard work.

Pay is low for YBM schools, but you obviously know ahead of time. I really recommend it for first timers.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:
Well they gave you everything they promised on the contract

Yes, unfortunately.

Golem wrote:
They required her to work two more months before they let her quit

How exactly can an employer "not allow" you to quit? Walk out the door and don't go back.
eoneinna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference between YBM ECC and YBM GPS?

I'm thinking about interviewing with YBM GPS inApgujeong.....but now I'm hesitant after reading this thread -________-
seansmith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"YMB" is somewhat vague as at the YBM ELS schools you teach adults while with the YBM ECC schools you teach kids. Back in the day I started out my teaching career at an ELS school and enjoyed it. Meanwhile my flatmate taught at an ECC school, suffered a nervous breakdown (antiquated term?) and did a runner, fleeing to the airport and back home. Nice guy though.

My Academic Supervisor was Hannah Yoo, who has since moved up the ladder into Head Office, I believe, and she was a great boss. Many of us were allowed to take one or two months holidays for travel as long as we completed the full 12 months of the contract (don't expect that at every ELS though). Teaching adults gave me a window into a new culture, a more enriching window than teaching children will provide. While the money was slightly lower than other hagwons, everything in the contract actually happened - and I think that's worth some peace of mind, especially when you consider some of the hogwan horror stories on this board. And I believe that most of those stories are true.

Still, you say you are experienced. If you're looking at an ELS job then it won't exactly help you develop professionally. Well, I suppose if you choose to it will. As a previous poster said it's a more ideal job for young teachers starting out, just arriving to Korea with little cash or experience. Now if you you're a burned out, experienced teacher and you need a job just to get by and de-stress for awhile, then that's different - it could be for you. As for ECC, be very careful and do your research. There are some shocking tales about those schools.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seansmith wrote:
Now if you you're a burned out, experienced teacher and you need a job just to get by and de-stress for awhile, then that's different - it could be for you.

Times have changed for ELS. This is definitely not the case now.
g35doc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eoneinna"]Is there a difference between YBM ECC and YBM GPS?

I'm thinking about interviewing with YBM GPS inApgujeong.....but now I'm hesitant after reading this thread -________-[/quote]

GPS is completely different from ECC. It's the only location where all of the teachers are gyopo/Korean AFAIK.
Kleft

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 3 months working at a YBM ECC school.

All the schools are different and honestly it all depends on what kind of monsters your supervisor and kids are.

If you are a kindergarten teacher, expect to work slave hours. Afternoon teachers don't have it too bad and I can't complain about my schedule. It is pretty chill.

You get everything on your contract, although I have heard otherwise about the sick days.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marsavalanche wrote:
Just finished my first contract with a YBM school.

Got everything I was promised. They did ask us to work 2 Sat. in one month (contract says 1) so some teachers didn't, were not penalized, but I volunteered to do it because it's overtime and it's not like it's hard work.

Pay is low for YBM schools, but you obviously know ahead of time. I really recommend it for first timers.

When you say the pay is low could you give us an example? How about for someone who has two years experience in Korea?
bdot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for YBM... I think its ELS... the adult one.

The job is great. The hours are good, 6 lessons a day split shift. The work is not demanding if you do it properly (ie don't try to talk during class too much) and Saturday work is optional if you have a spine and tell your supervisors you won't do more than the 2 months that are built into your contract.

The pay is bad, 2,100,000 but after deductions including rent it goes down to about 1,600,000 net / month. There is a new wave of academic supervisors now so I don't know what the new ones are like. You will have little to no interaction with the managers of the place, so if your academic director is cool you should have a good experience.

Lesson prep takes about 10 mins per lesson. The split shifts suck but you get used to it. Realistically though, you aren't worked to the bone so I highly recommend it. It has been been perfect for me as a new teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: