Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locations: Black/Grey Markets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Locations: Black/Grey Markets Reply with quote

This thread is intended to help you all locate places near you. Over the years, I've seen quite a few, but only wish to comment on the one here in my neighborhood:

Those in the San-bon area of Goon-po Shi, we have a GREAT 'grey market' store operating out in the open. It is in the 12-Complex area, in the building cluster (1st floor) that also houses Woo-ri Bank.

Almost everything comes from the base, and there is a good selection of Japanese stuff, too. Not only is there a wonderful cross-selection of stuff (like 1-lb rolls of ground beef, soft taco kits, pop tarts, etc.), but the owners are very friendly, and will always throw in something for 'service.' If you want/need specific things, you can try writing them down or bringing a package label, and your phone number.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mentioned in another thread, the Underground Market in Dong-dae-moon, Building C, has tons and tons of stuff - including weight training/dietary supplements.

For those NOT in Seoul, be sure to post your city & specifics!!!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this - good topic. I'm personally grateful for the info on the place in Sanbon - my wife's family lives in Gunpo so I'm a frequent visitor there. I didn't know about that place & I'll be sure to check it out on our next trip up later this month.

To add to the collection, we should mention the Red Door in Itaewon. More black market stuff, including cheese. A previous thread about the Red Door (details, directions) can be found here:
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=875.

If we get a bunch of contributions to this thread, and if other mods agree, maybe we can make it a sticky.
Holden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get a dirt cheap camera and laptop?
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a gray (hey, I'm Canadian and I'm spelling 'gray' with an A. A for Assimilation! Hooray!) market in Sinchon, next to the Grand Mart department store. They have all kinds of stuff, such as shaving cream, Doritos, Cheetos, burritos (well, no burritos, but hey, it rhymed), cologne, and lots of cheap booze. Last week, I picked up a litre (or is it liter?) of Jack Daniels (Daniel's? Aw hell) for only 32,000 won. The same brand, in a .75 litre bottle, was selling at Home Plus in Mullae for 35, 000. God bless corrupt GI's and their shifty ajumma connections.

(Maybe I'm being out of line with that last statement. Perhaps the goods are stolen before they reach the base and any army personnel gets a hold of them, but somehow I doubt it. Look at the ads on AFN)

Sparkles*_*
Don Mario

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Where is the gray market? Reply with quote

Question Ok, so there is a grey market, maybe more than one.

I live in the sticks, one hour away from Seoul. Could you enlighten
us pioneer teachers who don t know our way around Seoul where these
places are, what subway lines, buildings these markets are close to?

DM
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.galbijim.com/Black_markets
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 1Black Market in the Shindang - Dongmyo area that I'm aware of. (Edit: the two on the left were torn down last week with a bulldozer! Shocked ) These are just south of the Cheongyecheon. The one on the right is the friendliest. They usually have Portuguese & California red wine boxes for about 5,000 won ($5.50 US). They're a great deal! The guys across the street (on the left) are more pricey and cantankerous. Dongmyo Station is at the top left ~ North-Westish corner of the map.

Last edited by Harpeau on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one know of any in the southern part of the country?

I have searched high and low and haven't found any such as in Changwon, Jinju, Masan, Busan, etc. I entered the Seamans club in Busan and bought Reeses Peanut butter cups and then asked many foreigners I spotted on the subway if there were any black market stores offering foreign western things and no one knew of anything.

I like oatmeal, corn meal, and other American goodies, but hate to make a trip all the way to Seoul to shop a grey/black market. This is a $60 to $100 bus/train fare trip for me.

Surely someone's selling these sorts of things in the south if they are in the north.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: