Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What exactly does a "clean background check" mean?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natron81

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: What exactly does a "clean background check" mean? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, i've yet to be able to find a definitive answer to this question on the forums. Though admittedly I have't had the chance to go through such an ungodly amount of info. ; )

I've recently, after 7 or so weeks of waiting, received my FBI background check.. And expecting it to be a very boring and blank report, was surprised to see a "Trespassing" charge from some 8 years prior.

I'm incredibly annoyed about the whole thing.., and was equally so when it occurred, but had never ever considered such an unbelievably stupid charge could show up on anything at all..

Anyhow, the charge is technically a Class A Misdemeanor (i looked it up).., for Trespassing. Of course the report doesn't mention that I was arrested walking only NEAR railroad "property" (which means any railroad track), and that the incredibly unfair and harsh law has been around for over 100 years because of the county's problems with hobos gatherings near the turn of the century.

So I guess the question is,.. will this BG check be denied when I apply for an E-2 Korean Visa? Do they only look for violent offenders? Or does a "clean background check".., mean just that? That you can't have ever been the victim of archaic laws and/or semi-fascist police?

really appreciate the help, thankya

-nate
nathanrutledge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What exactly does a "clean background check" m Reply with quote

Trespassing is trespassing is trespassing. It's a crime. It's on your report. You're boned.

Your best bet is to try and get the record expunged. As you pointed out, it's a non-violent offense, you probably (i hope) served your punishment, and you've had a clean record since. Of course, this will take some time and effort, but that's probably your only shot.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean means "No Record Found" as the only comment on the form/letter.

ANYTHING else will have your E2 application denied.

snowball

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What exactly does a "clean background check" m Reply with quote

natron81 wrote:
Hi everyone, i've yet to be able to find a definitive answer to this question on the forums. Though admittedly I have't had the chance to go through such an ungodly amount of info. ; )

I've recently, after 7 or so weeks of waiting, received my FBI background check.. And expecting it to be a very boring and blank report, was surprised to see a "Trespassing" charge from some 8 years prior.

I'm incredibly annoyed about the whole thing.., and was equally so when it occurred, but had never ever considered such an unbelievably stupid charge could show up on anything at all..

Anyhow, the charge is technically a Class A Misdemeanor (i looked it up).., for Trespassing. Of course the report doesn't mention that I was arrested walking only NEAR railroad "property" (which means any railroad track), and that the incredibly unfair and harsh law has been around for over 100 years because of the county's problems with hobos gatherings near the turn of the century.

So I guess the question is,.. will this BG check be denied when I apply for an E-2 Korean Visa? Do they only look for violent offenders? Or does a "clean background check".., mean just that? That you can't have ever been the victim of archaic laws and/or semi-fascist police?

really appreciate the help, thankya

-nate

I love heroes who expect sympathy for breaking the law.

You were a train hoppin' hobo and paid the price.

Now you want our respect and admiration now that you need bread on your table.

Don't come here, criminals aren't welcome.

Keep your ear to the grindstone!

Last edited by snowball on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
pkang0202

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean means no offenses. None.
marsavalanche

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that? Another foreigner here whining because THEIR criminal background check doesn't state the CIRCUMSTANCES that explain their offense is completely out of context?

But...... but ...... but...... it's a misdemeanor!!
But...... but ...... but...... it's an outdated law!!
But...... but ...... but...... it's unfair!!

I'm so glad none of you people are allowed back into Korea.

A crime is a crime. Get over it.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ So agree.

"I was young." - Well, you should have thought about what you were going to do before doing something wrong enough to be put on your criminal record.
jrwhite82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: What exactly does a "clean background check" m Reply with quote

natron81 wrote:

I'm incredibly annoyed about the whole thing.., and was equally so when it occurred,

I wonder how those whose property you were trespassing on felt. I wonder how the police who had to chase you down, or stop what they were doing to catch some stupid senior in high-school who is hanging out on the train tracks felt. I'm sure they were equally or more annoyed than you are.
natron81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the, I think two, helpful replies.

I'm not looking for sympathy, nor am I angry about the situation. Annoyed sure.. I will say that my offense anywhere else is considered a citation..., and 95% of the time is overlooked.

But whatevs, I've already looked into expunging it... and will likely go that route.

I am a little taken aback by how vicious some of these remarks have been. Do you guys just randomly patrol the esl teaching forums to angrily vent your hatred of "criminals"? You all sound like fabulous teachers...

For those of you that were helpful, thanks.. I thought as much. This just makes it a bit more of a hassle. Not the end of the world.

peace,

-nate
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who have been "teaching" in Korea are apt to have this kind of superiority complex. Be glad you can't come here. You may become just like them.
hagwonnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, get your thing expunged now if you have the cash. It won't be any cheaper to do in the future.

Whether you come here or not, you should get that removed from your record if you're looking for a job.
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally believe crimes should automatically fall off records given a reasonable amount of time.

This happened 8 years ago. Give the guy break.

It's trespassing, not murder.

And it's quite possible he learned a valuable lesson and is a better man today because of it.
Radius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a lot of holier than thou people out here today. Like you guys never broke the law? You just never got caught. Be thankful you never were. God knows I can't throw stones.
lonestarteacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbybigfoot wrote:
I personally believe crimes should automatically fall off records given a reasonable amount of time.

This happened 8 years ago. Give the guy break.

It's trespassing, not murder.

And it's quite possible he learned a valuable lesson and is a better man today because of it.

I tend to agree with you... There are certain crimes that should not, but then again I also believe the rule of thumb should be a decade (which this particular case is not)... If there's nothing on there within ten years then it is irrelevant... Only should apply to misdemeanors... I'm sorry but a legislature decided that certain crimes were felonies and that those felonies should screw up your livelihood... And they will... Anything that involves physical, emotional or psychologically harming another individual is another one that regardless of the escalation of the event or the degree of crime committed I do not think should be taken off unless it is ordered to be taken off after completing anger-management and a period of inactivity as prescribed by a judge of law...
Triple007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: