Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is kimchi good for me or not?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L&MaC's

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThingsComeAround wrote:
Quote:
Korea FDA found 16 out of 502 domestic kimchi products containing
roundworm eggs. The products are from different companies. The parasite
eggs are believed to have come from excrement of cats and dogs raised in
the farms.

What the hell is cat & dog poop doing near the kimchi prep?

because 70% of the kimchi in Korea is made in China. - It's the same Kimchi served in restaurants in Japan. We all know China does not process food in a hygienic manner.

Kimchi and other Korean foods being responsible for the HIGH rate of stomach and colon cancer in Korean people has been known for a while.

I am a heavy smoker - so I eat kimchi because if I figure that if I am going to get lung cancer, then I might as well get stomach and colon cancer also.
Caffeinated

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found bugs and caterpillars in the kimchi made by moms at my school. This is also hands-down the worst kimchi I've had with a taste diesel-soaked vegetables.

Luckily there's a restaurant nearby which serves tasty kimchi which restores my faith in the stuff.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L&MaC's wrote:
ThingsComeAround wrote:
Quote:
Korea FDA found 16 out of 502 domestic kimchi products containing
roundworm eggs. The products are from different companies. The parasite
eggs are believed to have come from excrement of cats and dogs raised in
the farms.

What the hell is cat & dog poop doing near the kimchi prep?

because 70% of the kimchi in Korea is made in China. - It's the same Kimchi served in restaurants in Japan. We all know China does not process food in a hygienic manner.

Kimchi and other Korean foods being responsible for the HIGH rate of stomach and colon cancer in Korean people has been known for a while.

I am a heavy smoker - so I eat kimchi because if I figure that if I am going to get lung cancer, then I might as well get stomach and colon cancer also.

Those stats are for domestic korean kimchi products only. I do like your cancer philosophy. Shocked
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Quote:
Nutrition and healthKimchi is made of various vegetables and contains a high concentration of dietary fiber, while being low in calories. One serving also provides up to 80% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin C and carotene.[citation needed] Most types of kimchi contain onions, garlic, and peppers, all of which are salutary. The vegetables being made into kimchi also contribute to the overall nutritional value. Kimchi is rich in vitamin A, thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), calcium, and iron,[10][11] and contains a number of lactic acid bacteria, among those the typical species Lactobacillus kimchii.[12][13][14] The magazine Health named kimchi in its list of top five "World's Healthiest Foods" for being rich in vitamins, aiding digestion, and even possibly reducing cancer growth.[15]

Kimchi jjigae. A popular stew made with kimchi, it is commonly cooked with kimchi, fresh vegetables and pork or tuna although countless variants exist.On the other hand, some research suggests that consumption of kimchi and other related fermented vegetable foods contributes to Korea's relatively high rates of gastric cancer.[16]

One study conducted by Seoul National University claimed that chickens infected with the H5N1 virus, also called avian flu, recovered after eating food containing the same bacteria found in kimchi. During the 2003 SARS outbreak in Asia, many people even believed that kimchi could protect against infection, although there was no scientific evidence to support this belief.[17][18] However, in May 2009, the Korea Food Research Institute, Korea�s state food research organization, said they had conducted a larger study on 200 chickens, which supported the theory that it boosts chickens' immunity to the virus.[19]

so oddly enough it has health benefits but can have bad effects if you consume too much of it. How the heck did that happen????

Totally unscientific writing, that's how.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Doctor.... Laughing

When is your next conference on nutrition and the links certain foods have to diseases like cancer?

Oh in related news, water is wet and eating red meat 3 times per day will negate tany benefits that food may provide.
KimchiExplosion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
jc1257 wrote:
I think it's pretty good for you overall.

Plus, it will stop all sorts of diseases like avian flu and swine flu. Laughing

Also prevents cancer, SARS, hoof and mouth, EBOLA, Dengue hemorrhagic fever, and other nasty diseases. Wink

But it tragically leaves the eaten dangerously susceptible to fans and Mad Cow Disease
Menino80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could never eat the stuff plain, but throw it in some soup and voila! good soup
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is kimchi good for me or not? Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
I keep hearing that kimchi is good for health and that cabbage is loaded with vitamin C. I just want to know, is it good for me or not? Should I make it a habit to eat it at home and at restaurants every day? This is not a question about "I hate Korea or I love Korea" but more about making kimchi an everyday food because it has health benefits. Does anyone have opinions that have some relevance with this subject. Remember, many others will read this. Try to make responses relevant and important to newbies.

Depends who you are and what you eat. If you eat virtually no other salty food throughout the day, then sure, it's fine. If you're an athlete and you need to replenish lost sodium then its probably also fine.

Maybe you are sensitive to red pepper? Family history of ulcers or intestinal problems such as colitis? I have horrible stomach pain in response to red pepper and have a family history of intestinal problems, so when I eat gimchi at a restaurant I wash it in water first (like how Koreans feed babies kimchi). And you know Korea has the highest stomach cancer rate in the world. Yes, the world. Probably the red pepper, salt, and soju plays a role in that.

It also depends what you would otherwise eat. If you eat a highly fiberous vegetable like cabbage you're probably going to eat less calories at that meal or at a later meal because of the satiating effect. If you overeat and are overweight, maybe take an extra portion of kimchi rather than rice. That simple habit over time may even save an overweight person from diabetes.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are almost universally better for people than canned or preserved ones. But you have to think of psychological factors. If you're more likely to eat kimchi than chop up a fresh cabbage--if you're gonna let your fresh vegetables rot because they taste bland, then buy some kimchi. The objectively superior food won't do you any good if you don't eat it as much.

Basically, the answer is that "good for you" depends on who you are and what you've already eaten that day. Most people can incorporate M&M's into a healthy diet and live a healthy life, provided they are eating other meals that are nutritious. But some people, like diabetics for instance, can't handle the sugar. The same with kimchi, take your full context into account.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about salt, there is some contradictory evidence about salt's effect on health.

"Only one controlled study has been conducted of hypertensive patients on a low-sodium diet. Its results, involving some 3,000 patients in the 1990s, showed the opposite of what most expected: The more sodium the patients consumed, the less likely they were to suffer from heart attacks. The 25% of male patients who consumed the least sodium experienced more than four times as many heart attacks as the 25% of male patients who consumed the most sodium (women did not show a statistically significant relationship)."

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2010/05/01/lawrence-solomon-shake-that-salt.aspx#ixzz1CjKalWV9

"The Japanese have one of the world�s highest levels of salt consumption and are also the most long-lived people on Earth, with the possible exception of Jews, whose kosher salt-laced foods rival those of the Japanese. In fact, the societies that consume the most salt tend to enjoy the longest life spans, and societal well-being throughout history has been tied to the availability of salt."

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fpcomment/archive/2010/04/23/lawrence-solomon-savour-the-salt.aspx#ixzz1CjKOCOdw

"Ethnic differences in hypertension rates have been well documented for many years in the United States. But in Canada, this health issue wasn�t studied until last year when the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario commissioned a survey that found blacks and South Asians (Indians, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis) are three times more likely to have high blood pressure compared with the general population. They are also likely to develop it at a younger age.

One third of blacks and South Asians have high blood pressure, compared with about 21 per cent of the general population, and about 19 per cent of East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans)."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/special-reports/hard-to-shake/hunting-for-the-salt-gene/article1191288/
brauggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the ratio of sodium to potassium intake more important than the total amount of either, given a proportionate amount of water?

That's a question, by the way. I actually don't know for sure.

i do know, however, that sodium tends to get all the press while potassium hangs out quietly and abundantly in fruits and vegetables.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about hypertension from salt. It's moreso the chronic low grade net metabolic acidosis from getting sodium to potassium ratios out of whack. Evolutionarily, we ate a lot more potassium and magnesium in relation to sodium. Ie we ate fruits vegetables fish and meat including organ meats, not kimchi and fries.

I strive to parallel the evolutionary model as much as possible. That means eating a lot of vegetables and animal foods rather than grains and processed foods, and I don't stress myself out if my vegetables happen to be salted from time to time. For some people, just getting some vegetables is a good start. Consider what you're replacing by filling up on kimchi. If its fries or bread, I recommend you eat another bowl of kimchi. But don't replace fresh carrots and grass fed beef liver with kimchi. See what I mean?
MollyBloom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
jc1257 wrote:

Also prevents cancer, SARS, hoof and mouth, EBOLA, Dengue hemorrhagic fever, and other nasty diseases. Wink

Actually, I heard it CURES those diseases. Can be applied topically or internally, as well as ingested.
Menino80

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiExplosion wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
jc1257 wrote:

But it tragically leaves the eaten dangerously susceptible to fans and Mad Cow Disease

Where are you from Jane?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: