Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6166 Certificate of US Tax Residency (The Easy Way)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHaDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: 6166 Certificate of US Tax Residency (The Easy Way) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just received my 6166 Residency Certificate yesterday and I would like to help out everyone who needs one. You can actually have this done from Korea and the US government will mail you the Residency Certificate.

First of all, the fastest way to get this done is to E-Pay the government by credit card or checking account. Below is the link to the E-Pay website. If you do not E-Pay, you can not do the below steps.

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=165813,00.html

After you E-Pay, you will receive a confirmation number. You will use this confirmation number when you fill out form 8802.

You have to fill out form 8802 in order to receive form 6166. 8802 is the application for Form 6166. Below is the link to form 8802.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8802.pdf

After filling this form out, fax the form to (215) 516-1035.

If you're in Korea, what you have to do is use a scanner to scan the document. Then save it as a PDF document. After, use a free .PDF to fax website to send your PDF document as a fax. Use the website below.

http://faxzero.com/

You will save time and money(no postage fees) by doing this method. Hope this helps!
defaultusername

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This definitely helps. Thanks so much!
GoldenPennies

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this. It is very helpful. I have one question. Once I get the form mailed to me, who do I give it to? Thanks.
Missihippi

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenPennies wrote:
Thank you for posting this. It is very helpful. I have one question. Once I get the form mailed to me, who do I give it to? Thanks.

Give it to your handler at school, they will know what to do with it.
so-weet

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Certificate Reply with quote

I know this post was done a month ago, but I have a question for you Bighadaddy: When did you initially apply for the certificate?
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school admin assistant is requesting a US tax address certificate from me at the last minute after accepting a copy of my US address for tax filing until today. Can't my local Korea Tax Service office verify my residency status with the IRS via their system or office phone? If not, how could they verify a document is authentic? I'm seeing it takes a minimum of 45 days to get a form 6166 though my school doesn't call it that. I only think it's a 6166 they want from Googling, "US residency tax address certificate," as my school called it today.

What other documents might satisfy this last minute requirement? A copy of my 2010 tax filing?
EmGen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many certifications should we mark down as needed? Should we get more than 1 certification for any reason?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmGen wrote:
How many certifications should we mark down as needed? Should we get more than 1 certification for any reason?

Get two. One for you. One for your school.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
My school admin assistant is requesting a US tax address certificate from me at the last minute after accepting a copy of my US address for tax filing until today. Can't my local Korea Tax Service office verify my residency status with the IRS via their system or office phone? If not, how could they verify a document is authentic? I'm seeing it takes a minimum of 45 days to get a form 6166 though my school doesn't call it that. I only think it's a 6166 they want from Googling, "US residency tax address certificate," as my school called it today.

What other documents might satisfy this last minute requirement? A copy of my 2010 tax filing?

What about your US license? would that work?

Even if it takes you two months to get the 6166, it's retroactive, so you'll get your taxes back that they take out.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out I didn't need it. I was going to owe tax either way. They also thought I might need to gather all my receipts, but instead were able to take the total amount I spent on food and utilities listed in my bank book and use that as a deduction amount which was half of my total income. It would be bad if tax were a huge sum taken at the end. I was concerned, but not so much so now.
dereklee003

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
Turned out I didn't need it. I was going to owe tax either way. They also thought I might need to gather all my receipts, but instead were able to take the total amount I spent on food and utilities listed in my bank book and use that as a deduction amount which was half of my total income. It would be bad if tax were a huge sum taken at the end. I was concerned, but not so much so now.

I'm wondered why you didn't need it, as I'm not sure if I need it either. I have been in Korea over 2 years now, and never filled out the 8802 form or anything. My 1st year and a half was at a hagwon, and I honestly can't remember if they took taxes out. Now I'm nearly finished with my first public school contract, and they haven't taken out any taxes.

Do I still need to do this?
teacherfromca

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To qualify for tax exemption, form 6166, do you need to work for a public school? So a private school wont count? What if you work for a private company that puts you in a public school? So your services are in a public school but your employer is a private company. Do you still qualify for tax exemption?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: