Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Bring or Buy?" Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajuma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to sheets: a top sheet (single or queen size) can be used for LOTS of things! Besides using it to cover you on the hot/steamy Korean nights, it can be used as a tablecloth, groundcover (for a picnic) or even as a curtain! Bottom sheets...yeah, they rarely fit well, and you don't know what size bed you'll be getting! But a top sheet? I wouldn't leave home without one!
racheln226

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: fluoride Reply with quote

jay-shi wrote:
Western toothpaste is also a good item to stock up on and bring. As far as I know the Korean toothpaste has no fluoride in it.

does any one know if there is fluoride in the water there? My dentist suggested I bring some with me, but I'd rather not waste luggage space on it if it's not essential. thoughts?
AgentM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprite wrote:
as long as you have about 4 outfits, you should be fine until you can find a tailor you trust. you might want to bring patterns you like, but some tailors can also work from sight.

From what I've heard, custom tailored clothes are cheap in Korea. I was wondering if you (or someone else), could give an example of typical tailor prices for pants and shirts over there?
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fluoride Reply with quote

racheln226 wrote:
jay-shi wrote:
Western toothpaste is also a good item to stock up on and bring. As far as I know the Korean toothpaste has no fluoride in it.

does any one know if there is fluoride in the water there? My dentist suggested I bring some with me, but I'd rather not waste luggage space on it if it's not essential. thoughts?

If they do have fluoride they dont have much of it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg
Just bring western toothpaste.
racheln226

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, giraffe!

I never would have thought to use wikipedia for that one.
ajuma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Close Up toothpaste, bought in Korea, says in English that it has floride, mouthwash, vitamin and microwhitener. It's manufactured by Unilever, a company based in the UK.

HomePlus carries the blue and the green flavors...wish they had red!

(Sheesh...I can't believe I'm complaining about this! Very Happy Back in the day, you couldn't get good toothpaste here!)
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone list the prices of commonly bought hygiene products here? Just trying to envision my shopping bill....
meaghan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: fluoride Reply with quote

giraffe wrote:
racheln226 wrote:
jay-shi wrote:

If they do have fluoride they dont have much of it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fluoridated-water-extent-world.svg
Just bring western toothpaste.

I hope to god you're not drinking the tap water.
liz88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is deodorant so expensive in S Korea and do koreans not wear it??
catinabox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Mobile Phone- Arrival store. Reply with quote

I am traveling to Busan next week and have been told that my existing mobile phone will not work in Korea. I have been approched by the arrival store who have offered to set me up with a contract phone for when I arrive. How difficult is it to set up a phone and how much should I expect to pay for the deposit and contract?
Chamomile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about contract cell phones. I use mine so little that a prepaid phone works for me. To get a prepaid phone just go to a cell phone store once you get your ARC to set up service. You'll probably need a Korean coworker to go with you to translate. It's a really simple process. You just fill out a form, give them money, and you're ready to go. You can get a used phone pretty cheap (my last one cost 30,000 won). I don't know about the more expensive phones and plans.
jmstump

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mobile Phone- Arrival store. Reply with quote

catinabox wrote:
I am traveling to Busan next week and have been told that my existing mobile phone will not work in Korea. I have been approched by the arrival store who have offered to set me up with a contract phone for when I arrive. How difficult is it to set up a phone and how much should I expect to pay for the deposit and contract?

I made a post about bringing your phone to Korea over on the this thread http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=789&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I would say unless you have a smart phone of some sort, such as an iPhone or a nice Android phone, it's not worth bringing your phone over.

As for setting up a new contract and such, I can't help there. I'm still looking for my first teaching gig in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: