Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drug Test - Marijauna back on the table?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Drug Test - Marijauna back on the table? Reply with quote

Hey can somebody who reads Korean well have a good look at this page?

http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/COM/bbs_003/ListShowData.do?strNbodCd=noti0090&strWrtNo=2543&strAnsNo=A&strOrgGbnCd=104000&strRtnURL=IMM_3010&strAllOrgYn=N&strThisPage=1&strFilePath=imm/

I've been told it indicates that Marijuana testing is back as of April 1st.

I think they tried to test for Marijuana back when they first required the health check, but they dropped that aspect after a couple of months.

Have any of you heard anything?

-Will at Footprints
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize there is an English option at the top, but the translation doesn't seem to match up with what the Korean one says, or so I am told.

My Korean abilities are limited to ordering food and getting around in a taxi.

-Will
bbonthec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, will slight traces of THC show up on the drug test? I don't smoke it, but I recently visited Vancouver, where just walking around downtown exposed me to multiple whiffs of second-hand pot smoke. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd really like to know more about whether this is a reality or not, or perhaps a Korean Immigration April Fools joke.

But, from my limited understanding, I think that the questions regarding what will and will not show up, or how long it will remain in your system will depend upon the type of testing employed (urine, blood, hair follicle, etc.).

However, we are getting ahead of ourselves. I'd just like to know how likely this is to happen.

-Will at Footprints
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted another thread where only certain health centers will be accepted for the tests.

Is the rumor about a "hair" test true? Why would they go to this instead of peeing in a cup?
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it is coming back as of tomorrow and you can only get the exams done at certian hospitals as they will have the facillities to test for weed.

bottom line is if you are here, or considering coming here, or planning to go somewhere on vacation where its legal/available etc and you are even THINKING about toking you are an utter moron and deserve whats coming to you.

Koreans dont like foreigners doing weed period end of conversation. its their rules and if you dont like it work in Cambodia etc
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I posted another thread where only certain health centers will be accepted for the tests.

Is the rumor about a "hair" test true? Why would they go to this instead of peeing in a cup?

Perhaps because it is probably more expensive, and they charge the teacher, do they not?

You can make money, and it is probably more reliable as a test. Two strong incentives.

-Will at Footprints
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
Koreans dont like foreigners doing weed period end of conversation. its their rules and if you dont like it work in Cambodia etc

It is tough, but fair.

Also, another thing to point out is that apparently this isn't just the teachers, all the foreigners have to do it.
bbonthec

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hair test is MUCH more expensive. I doubt they'd do that.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never left.

Got tested back for renewal, sure enough they asked for a urine sample to test for 'drugs'. Rolling Eyes

If I were using coke, it would leave my body within a week. Marijuana stays for at least a month (for regular users)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caniboids ARE back in the required medical test.

No moral judgments here. Just statement of fact.

So if you (or someone you know) is a user and planning to come over, stop about a month before you get on the plane.

Not all schools will wait 30-60 days after you get here before they make you do your medical and get your ARC.

In some cases it can happen as quickly as 7 days after arrival.

Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbonthec wrote:
The hair test is MUCH more expensive. I doubt they'd do that.

This is Korea. Western prices dont apply to meds and tests here. I had a full 3.5 hour physical, including a CT scan and endoscopy for 400,000. I doubt testing one hair would be that much.
jfromtheway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate news, thanks for the info.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Caniboids ARE back in the required medical test.

No moral judgments here. Just statement of fact.

So if you (or someone you know) is a user and planning to come over, stop about a month before you get on the plane.

Not all schools will wait 30-60 days after you get here before they make you do your medical and get your ARC.

In some cases it can happen as quickly as 7 days after arrival.

Right - that's what I thought. I do know that they have been testing for other drugs, but Marijuana was taken off the list pretty quick when it was first implemented.

I think it was also in early January-March, if I'm not mistaken, so, assuming it was taken out of the health check prior to the end of February, it is likely that there wasn't a tremendously adverse impact to many teachers.

I think that there are a lot of teachers (and recruiters, come to think of it) who should be glad they didn't bring back the Marijuana test August 1st.

If they had to do it, now would be the best time. Well, maybe December 1st would have been better.

Thanks ttompatz!
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about F2 visa holders? Is the drug test still required by immigration or is it just the employers who want it?
I haven't smoked the cheeba for over 5 years, and I'm not likely to for some time to come, but I'd still like to know where I stand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: