Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers... Reply with quote

Last week I went to the immigration office in Mokdong to apply for the F-2 visa via the point system. Here's the breakdown of my points and what documents I needed:

Education: master's degree - 30 points (degree and transcript)
Korean proficiency: TOPIK level 2 - 10 points (TOPIK transcript)
Annual Income: 35-50 million won - 6 points (statement of yearly income from employer)
Study in Korea: master's degree - 5 points (degree and transcript)
Work experience outside Korea: over 2 years - 5 points (employment reference letter from employer)

Total: 81 points

The immigration officer check through all my documents and confirmed my points, and told me that I can get the F-2 visa. But then she looked at my file on her computer, and started asking me questions about how long I've been in Korea. I was wondering what was going after she started flipping through her thick immigration regulation book.

She then informed me that I could actually apply for the F-5 visa because I met the following requirements:

1. Been on the same E-2 visa for over five years (I transferred my visa twice during that time)
2. Annual income of over 45 million won (I think this requirement changes each year depending on the GDP)
3. Korean language ability (I have TOPIK level 2 - I've read in the past you needed at least level 3)
4. No criminal record in Korea.

The first 3 items I was able to prove with the documents I had on me. The immigration officials will do a criminal background check on me. Once they confirm that I have no criminal record in Korea I should be approved for the F-5 visa.

They are supposed to call me within the next two weeks. I'll let you all know if I get it.
raewon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your visa!

Can I ask a question about the following?

Quote:
She then informed me that I could actually apply for the F-5 visa because I met the following requirements:

1. Been on the same E-2 visa for over five years (I transferred my visa twice during that time)
2. Annual income of over 45 million won (I think this requirement changes each year depending on the GDP)
3. Korean language ability (I have TOPIK level 2 - I've read in the past you needed at least level 3)

You didn't by chance get that officer's name, did you? Or does anyone know where the above information is provided on the immigration site?

Don't misunderstand jinju necklace, I don't doubt you at all. But I've inquired before and was told that the annual income requirement was much higher than that (around 75 million won - which would exclude foreigners on an E-2 visa).

Thanks.
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raewon wrote:

You didn't by chance get that officer's name, did you? Or does anyone know where the above information is provided on the immigration site?

Don't misunderstand jinju necklace, I don't doubt you at all. But I've inquired before and was told that the annual income requirement was much higher than that (around 75 million won - which would exclude foreigners on an E-2 visa).

Thanks.

To clarify, I haven't gotten the visa yet. It's still being processed. I should know by the end of next week if I'm approved or not.

I did a quick check (http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/en/info/popup/icis/3-4-2_pop.htm) and this is what I found for E-2 visa holders:

Criteria:
1. Yearly income should be more than 3 times of last year's GNI per capita by the Notification by the Bank of Korea
2. Level 3 or higher in Korean language test by KICE(Korea Institute for Curriculum & Evaluation)

Required documents:
1. degree
2. Withholding slip of earned income or certificate of income
3. A written recognition for Korean language test

I'm guessing the GNI per capita fell considerably in 2010, so that's why the minimum is now 45 million won. I'm a little worried since I only passed the level 2 TOPIK test and the requirement states I need at least level 3. I'm hoping that in the end it's at the discretion of whoever is processing my application and that they take into account the other points I have that qualify me for the F-2 visa (but perhaps I'm hoping for too much).

By the way, the name of the immigration officer is 황보영숙. She didn't speak any English to me, but I think she might have done that on purpose to test my Korean proficiency.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinju necklace wrote:

To clarify, I haven't gotten the visa yet. It's still being processed. I should know by the end of next week if I'm approved or not.

Let us know.
hammmmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jinju necklace wrote:
raewon wrote:

Thanks.

I did a quick check (http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/en/info/popup/icis/3-4-2_pop.htm) and this is what I found for E-2 visa holders:

Criteria:
1. Yearly income should be more than 3 times of last year's GNI per capita by the Notification by the Bank of Korea
2. Level 3 or higher in Korean language test by KICE(Korea Institute for Curriculum & Evaluation)

Required documents:
1. degree

Thanks for the info.
Do you know what a "Reference form 신원보증서" is? coz its also one of the required docs
suwonsi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for F-2 or F-5

My yearly income is more than 45mil. I have been here since the past 3 years. I am currently studying level 3 korean. Can I qualify for F5??

Criteria:

Required documents:
1. degree
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

신원보증서 is a reference letter from your Korean employer. It's not a required document for the F-2 or F-5 visa. E-2 visa applicants need that form when they apply for a new E-2 visa or transfer their E-2 visa to a new employer. It's pretty much like a sponsorship form, with your employer being your sponsor in Korea.

The basic requirement for anyone who wants to apply for the F-5 visa is that you have to be on the same visa for at least 5 years. The other requirements I shared in my last post are additional requirements specific to E-2 visa holders.
Ramen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm gonna apply for korean citizenship since korea is allowing multiple citizenship now. Razz
millyfrend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers... Reply with quote

What's the difference between a F-2 and E-2?

jinju necklace wrote:
Last week I went to the immigration office in Mokdong to apply for the F-2 visa via the point system. Here's the breakdown of my points and what documents I needed:

Education: master's degree - 30 points (degree and transcript)
Korean proficiency: TOPIK level 2 - 10 points (TOPIK transcript)
Annual Income: 35-50 million won - 6 points (statement of yearly income from employer)
Study in Korea: master's degree - 5 points (degree and transcript)
Work experience outside Korea: over 2 years - 5 points (employment reference letter from employer)

Total: 81 points

The immigration officer check through all my documents and confirmed my points, and told me that I can get the F-2 visa. But then she looked at my file on her computer, and started asking me questions about how long I've been in Korea. I was wondering what was going after she started flipping through her thick immigration regulation book.

The first 3 items I was able to prove with the documents I had on me. The immigration officials will do a criminal background check on me. Once they confirm that I have no criminal record in Korea I should be approved for the F-5 visa.

They are supposed to call me within the next two weeks. I'll let you all know if I get it.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramen wrote:
i'm gonna apply for korean citizenship since korea is allowing multiple citizenship now. Razz

Are they? Link?
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers... Reply with quote

jinju necklace wrote:

What kind of work did you do? I was thinking about trying to get this recognized, but people were saying it was only for "professional" jobs like lawyers.
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers... Reply with quote

chungbukdo wrote:
jinju necklace wrote:

What kind of work did you do? I was thinking about trying to get this recognized, but people were saying it was only for "professional" jobs like lawyers.

I think any full-time employment you had outside Korea would qualify. I worked in marketing before I came to Korea.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your reference letter for work outside of Korea. Was it recent or can it be from a couple years ago?
Mr. Peabody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: F-2 visa (point system) and F-5 visa seekers... Reply with quote

jinju necklace wrote:

It's been a month. Did you get it?
jinju necklace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my F-5 visa last week. It took just under a month for them to approve my application. I got a new ARC that says 영구 (permanent) on the back, as well as a sticker in my passport. I never have to go back to the immigration office again... happy days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: