Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid Packing Lists : From the Vets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie col

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I thought of boiling it and then Brita-ing it. I also thought that there might be some type of filter I could buy there to put on the faucet?

http://www.brita.com.au/products/tapconnected_systems

I think this is what you're think of. I have one in Australia and it works great. costs about $US50 for the initial tap system and $US20 for the replacement filter. Each one lasts 3-4 months.

Don't use one of those Brita jugs. The charcoal filter only removes odour and some chemicals. You get left with all those nice little bugs that just can��t wait to get into your stomach and cause you to sit on the toilet for hours.

Thanks for reminding me about it. I��m heading back to Korea soon so will definitely be bringing it with me.

Lets see: $US20 for 4 months = $US0.16 per day.

And no more finding out that you have run out of water when you wake up with a hangover.
[/url]
aussie col

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to Thailand for a week I stocked up on Cadbury chocolate, jelly (jello) and any other Australian food I could find. I was waiting for immigration to look in my bags and see one of them totally full of food.

My plan was to reward my kids with REAL chocolate but with the encouragement of a NZ teacher we just ate it all ourselves.

The jelly I took to the Korean teachers because I couldn��t explain it to them. I��ve never seen grown people get so excited over a little jelly. The whole staff room was buzzing like the jelly was laced with cocaine.

For the person who brought back 1000 aspirin, you��ve got to try the Korean stuff. In my first six months I never once got 2 of the same type of pills when I asked for head ache pills. It was always exciting to see what the pharmacist would pull out from behind the counter. Big red pills, little blue ones and everything in between. I eventually would just ask for tylanol (sp? Don��t get this in OZ, has a different name).
Mankind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOOL_AID
You can bring back about 100 packs with lots of flavour choices, for about $25, just add water and suger to taste. Plus they take up no room.

HAND Smile

p.s. Pathern most of the stuff on your original list you can get over here now.
intergalactic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 kilos of sundried tomatoes
2 kilos of cheese
2 kilos of honey
10 jars of pesto sauce
10 packets of powdered coconut milk
spices, dried herbs
butter chicken paste
tandoori paste and tikka paste
pita bread
yeast
jelly/jello
white chocolate and tinned passionfruit pulp for making passionfruit chocolate mousse
2 kilos chickpeas
1 kilo lentils
1 kilo polenta
1 kilo couscous

My luggage is ALWAYS overweight, but they ALWAYS let me through without penalty. Just limp to the counter and rub your eyes so they're red beforehand.
Alphabet_Stew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
as for the shoes I only wear Dr. Martens which you can get in Seoul for less than in Canada (when you take take into account).

I am actually looking for a good "Dr. Marten" store.

I went to the one at the COEX and was disappointed in their very-small range/variety of shoes - found the EXACT pair of shoes I wanted, but in their store the only color it comes in is green, whereas I only want black.

I remember seeing a good Dr. Marten store somewhere around Kongkook Univ. station in the Rodeo street area but that was years ago, does anyone know if it it still there?

Someone else also told me about a Dr. Marten store somewhere in the Yongsan electronics market, does anyone know where this store is.

Or, does anyone know a GOOD Dr. Martens store somewhere around store with a good variety/range and sizes, I am size 12 (UK12, USA 12)

Or, does anyone know of the Dr.Marten website, in Korean?

thanks for any info.
tamaralynn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that the most recent post on this thread is nearly a year old. I'm just wondering if any of these items are now available in Korea? I am DREADING trying to pack everything I need for a year into two suitcases...
trying2getthere

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamaralynn:

I've found for the most part you can find anything you really need, as long as you're willing to pay for it. The only thing I would say definitely bring with you is a set of sheets (you don't want to be roaming around the city looking for sheets after spending 37 hours traveling, just so you can go to bed... also they are really expensive and not that nice quality).

I'm guessing by your username you are a girl. You will also need to bring tampons. You can find them here, and they are not really TOO expensive, but maybe not the brand you usually use.

Also, deodorant is still expensive, so just bring it with you.

Other than that, if you have room in your bags you can add some of the things listed in this thread. But don't stress too much, because you CAN buy anything you really need/want here. If you have to make a choice I would definitely choose an extra set of shoes (especially if you wear a 8.5 or larger) than a bunch of canned/dried foods.
mkpopcorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This helps a lot...I am kind of overwhelmed trying to figure out what I need for a whole year!
Silly-leaf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helpful stuff definitely.

I think I may just have to remember to pack a tin of Tim Horton's hot chocolate for a taste of home. When you live less than 5 blocks from the original Tim Horton's store it very hard to think of not having a Tim's around.

I'm debating whether to bring my hockey skates (they're Goalie skates) and I'd use my Goalie bag but it has a permanent...'perfume' (I've febreezed it, and taken a hose to it) that I'd rather not let my clean clothes near.
kattaylor31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of questions:

How many bags do people bring? I was planning on one checked bag, a carry-on, and my purse. The most I've ever packed for is for two weeks so I was just wondering if I would need another checked bag.

I never thought about bringing spices! That's a really good idea. Can anyone tell me what we're not allowed to bring overseas? I was thinking we couldn't bring things like cheese, but I could be wrong.
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kattaylor31 wrote:
Just a couple of questions:

How many bags do people bring? I was planning on one checked bag, a carry-on, and my purse. The most I've ever packed for is for two weeks so I was just wondering if I would need another checked bag.

I never thought about bringing spices! That's a really good idea. Can anyone tell me what we're not allowed to bring overseas? I was thinking we couldn't bring things like cheese, but I could be wrong.

Korean customs banned items:
http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/GK/GK_EN_2_1_3.jsp

About checked baggage; you're going to be living here for a year, so consider when you personally need. If you want to bring a lot, check the allowable limit according to your airline, and mail yourself the rest of the things you'll need for the next season.
stamerjam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a newbie, leaving in end of August.

Can I assume to buy just TWIN sized sheets for the bed? I have a job placement through GEPIK. I figure they won't be providing large beds in small apartments.

This thread is very helpful, thanks everyone! (Esp. trying2getthere.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: