Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is everyone else's internet slow as well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myenglishisno

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Is everyone else's internet slow as well? Reply with quote

I've had slow internet since I returned to Korea in January. I thought it was just the connection I had at the time and ignored it. I just moved to Anyang and I'm with a company called T-Broad and the internet is even slower than the internet I had before. When I first plugged it in it was perfectly fast but it would seem the speeds really deteriorate into the evenings (more than they should).

It's odd because my friend lived in the exact same building I'm in now a couple of years ago and he used to rave about how fast the internet was. According to speedtest, I'm only getting 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. For a point of reference, I can only stream Youtube videos at 360. If I want more I have to buffer.

Am I just having a string of bad luck? Or is it because of Japan/the fact that everyone has a smartphone now/some other issue?

Last edited by myenglishisno on Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick with kt, they seem to have the fastest service. been with them 7 years and never been tempted to change.
myenglishisno

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
stick with kt, they seem to have the fastest service. been with them 7 years and never been tempted to change.

Unfortunately I think I'm locked in. My new apartment comes with T-Broad and I don't think I have the option to seek out a different one.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several threads on this.

KT is throttling their cheaper connections heavily to make space for higher-paying customers after several data lines were cut in the Japan quake/tsunami. SK throttling of Youtube and Skype seem especially severe. On a better note, it seems that GMail is working fast tonight... have had troubles with that for weeks. Hope it stays fast.

Speeds seem especially poor tonight. Probably because everyone is staying inside surfing because of the Yellow Dust warning.
myenglishisno

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Several threads on this.

KT is throttling their cheaper connections heavily to make space for higher-paying customers after several data lines were cut in the Japan quake/tsunami. SK throttling of Youtube and Skype seem especially severe. On a better note, it seems that GMail is working fast tonight... have had troubles with that for weeks. Hope it stays fast.

Is there any word on when this will end?

I'm somewhat of a gamer and I ping 350m/s to servers I used to ping 180m/s to from Korea. It means that I have entire games in my library now that I can't really play online. Sucks.
crossmr

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will take months for them to repair the underseas cables. More than 1 was damaged.

It would make no sense for KT to throttle connections in country to deal with the overseas problem. The internet will slow down at night and on the weekend, but the amount if slows down varies from night to night. I've had nights where it's only slowed a little, I've had nights where it's slowed significantly.

What you can do is use a site like speedtest or benchbee (korean) to build a test history. They tend to want to send a guy out a day or two later to check the problem which is useless. If you've got a couple tests a day for the last month recorded you can demonstrate a real issue.
Do something like an 8 am and a 7 pm test for example.
My speed has suffered since christmas, but in off-peak times, I still pull around 65 in country. which is down from about 80 in off-peak times.
but overseas it's not good at all, but there is nothing the ISPs here can do about that.

For the record, I tried a for pay VPN and found no difference in the speed at which youtube videos buffered, so I didn't see any evidence that SK broadband is filtering youtube.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube was absolutely abysmal for a few weeks there, but as of this weekend, it seems to be back to slightly better than abysmal.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this with Skype and gaming over the weekend. The video and audio would cut out on the other end every minute. Then when I was gaming on Xbox Live, I would have terrible lag for about 5 seconds every minute. Gave up playing online for a few days, hope its back to normal soon.
myenglishisno

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
I noticed this with Skype and gaming over the weekend. The video and audio would cut out on the other end every minute. Then when I was gaming on Xbox Live, I would have terrible lag for about 5 seconds every minute. Gave up playing online for a few days, hope its back to normal soon.

Same problems. I was on Skype on Sunday evening and it was cutting in and out and making both of us sound like robots. I've been having some desync and lag issues in games though online games have been playable overall.

I remember a few years ago when you could play on West Coast US servers with under 200m/s. Now you'd be lucky to get under 300m/s to the same servers. It's getting me kicked and cursed out in a lot of places.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting to sit and watch the speedtest results as it plots them up and down on the little graph. Was it normal for them to burst up and down so much? I'll go from 24kps to 80 or 120kps, then as soon as the amount gets to that ceiling, it's knocked down to near zero and has to build itself back up. It's like someone is playing whack-a-mole with my connection speed.
crossmr

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Load is not constant.
So your speed will vary from moment to moment.
The speed tests try to create a reasonable picture of what your speed more or less is.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still finding youtube utter crap. Its never been good, but for a few days, Ive have to buffer 240p videos for a few minutes in order to play
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: