Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KAIST vs Seoul National vs the others

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincentmiser

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: KAIST vs Seoul National vs the others Reply with quote

What's the deal with KAIST? As far as I know, it is the only internationally recognised institution, yet people in Korea seem to act like it doesn't exist. They prefer to talk about Seoul National, Korea, and Yonsei Universities.

I went to see KAIST, and it is a VERY impressive place compared to Seoul National.
rickpidero

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only accepts like a 1000 students a year, or something like that. And, basically only takes students from specialized science and math high schools.

The others are prestigious and rather large. So, they have massive alumni, many of whom are in high places in Korean society.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention POSTECH.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the fastrack to Chaebol serfdom.
pk_00

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAIST and POSTECH are something like MIT and Caltech, whereas SNU, Yonsei, and Korea are something like ... Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, although SNU is public.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, if such high-caliber students go to either KAIST or Postech, why haven't we heard much from those schools vis-a-vis breakthroughs or other advances?

I do agree, however, that Seoul National's campus leaves a lot to be desired.
UknowsI

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
Funny thing is, if such high-caliber students go to either KAIST or Postech, why haven't we heard much from those schools vis-a-vis breakthroughs or other advances?

I guess the most impressive invention from KAIST which has been widely reported is wireless electricity. They have made electrical buses which are charged from the road while driving. I don't know any details about the invention, but if it is able to charge cars without a significant amount of waste, it could be revolutionary since batteries are maybe the largest limitation of electrical cars.

Other than that I guess a lot of their effort is directly industry related and can't be seen directly from KAIST but from the companies where their graduates are hired, such as TV on cell phones from ETRI or any product from LG, Samsung or Hyundai which are bound to have KAIST graduates working in almost all of their development team.

Last edited by UknowsI on Mon May 23, 2011 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UknowsI wrote:
Yaya wrote:

I guess the most impressive invention from KAIST which has been widely reported is wireless electricity. They have made electrical buses which are charged from the road while driving. I don't know any details about the invention, but if it is able to charge cars without a significant amount of waste, it could be revolutionary since batteries are maybe the largest limitation of electrical cars.

Also, they combined a gene from a florescent jelly fish with the feline genome resulting in cats that can glow when a certain frequency of light is shined on them.
rkc76sf

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
UknowsI wrote:
Yaya wrote:

Also, they combined a gene from a florescent jelly fish with the feline genome resulting in cats that can glow when a certain frequency of light is shined on them.

Yeah, that's pretty impressive.
rickpidero

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
UknowsI wrote:
Yaya wrote:

Laser Cats!!!
Highwayman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
Ah yes, the fastrack to Chaebol serfdom.

They make lots of money for serfs.
ed4444

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAIST / POSTECH have a much shorter history than the SKY universities so they haven't had as much influence yet. In addition, neither of them are in Seoul.

And.. both Unis are very much geared up to provide graduates to take either of the following two routes.

1. Academic research
2. R & D for big companies

Neither area is very high profile relative to the Politicians and CEOs coming out of the SKY universities.

However, if either of the Technical Universities ever managed to get the Nobel Prize they dream so much of, the situation would change overnight.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed4444 wrote:
KAIST / POSTECH have a much shorter history than the SKY universities so they haven't had as much influence yet. In addition, neither of them are in Seoul.

Agreed. What are the "SKY" universities?
rickpidero

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highwayman wrote:
ed4444 wrote:

Agreed. What are the "SKY" universities?

Seoul National University, Korea University, Yonsei University
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing two semesters as an exchange student at KAIST next year. I can't wait to get back to Korea!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: