Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revolution in Tunisia, protests in Egypt, unrest in ME
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sergio Stefanuto

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others, I am getting tired of the glowing references to �the Arab Awakening� and �the Arab Spring� by na�ve Western media happily ignoring the absolute mayhem and hatred that has burst forth in Arab countries.

In light of the thousands that have been murdered as a result of this �Springtime�, with its uncomfortable echo of the famous song from the movie and play �The Producers�, for their own sakes it looks like it would be best for the Arabs in Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen, Syria and elsewhere to turn the clocks back to winter time and return to their dormant state

Democracy, �springtime�, and �awakening� in the Arab countries appear to reveal that there is a reason why Arabs have always lived under despots. It was simply safer for everyone.

http://cifwatch.com/2011/05/09/springtime-for-arabs-in-arabia-the-guardians-glorious-revolution-loses-some-of-its-luster/
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Democracy, �springtime�, and �awakening� in the Arab countries appear to reveal that there is a reason why Arabs have always lived under despots. It was simply safer for everyone.

This is one of the stupider articles I've seen posted in a few days, right up there with some of the conspiracy theory articles, but with the added 'benefit' of racism.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio Stefanuto wrote:

http://cifwatch.com/2011/05/09/springtime-for-arabs-in-arabia-the-guardians-glorious-revolution-loses-some-of-its-luster/[/list]

So you're really adapted the Saudi line of thought huh? Interesting.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Sergio Stefanuto wrote:

http://cifwatch.com/2011/05/09/springtime-for-arabs-in-arabia-the-guardians-glorious-revolution-loses-some-of-its-luster/[/list]

So you're really adapted the Saudi line of thought huh? Interesting.

Say what you want about Sergio, but he takes the considerations of his host country seriously. I doubt he accepts everything, though.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yemeni president goes to Saudi for medical treatment

I doubt he'll be back.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protestors Celebrate Saleh's Departure

Quote:
On Sunday in the capital of Sana, Yemenis crowded into Change Square to celebrate. Some uniformed soldiers joined those dancing and singing patriotic songs and were hoisted on the shoulders of the crowd, according to The Associated Press.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saleh significantly burned

Quote:
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia � President Ali Abdullah Saleh of Yemen suffered injuries, far more extensive than previously known in an attack on his presidential palace last week, with burns over 40 percent of his body, Yemeni officials and Western diplomats said Tuesday.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched a short piece on Yemen on al-Jazeera. According to that reporter, Saleh's son is really the power in the country now, not the vice president who is refusing to talk to the opposition.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I believe that. He is the head of the Republican Guard I think. You probably posted this on the Syria thread but why not twice?

Syrian Mutiny Reveals Cracks in Regime

Quote:
BEIRUT � A deadly mutiny of Syrian soldiers and loss of control over a tense northern town appeared to show extraordinary cracks in an autocratic regime that has long prided itself on its iron control.

Details about the events in Jisr al-Shughour remained murky on Tuesday. The government said 120 forces were dead, without explaining the enormous loss of life.

But the reports Tuesday from residents and activists � and the television appearance of a soldier who says he switched sides after his hometown was bombarded � were the clearest sign yet that the weekly protests of thousands of Syrians are eroding President Bashar Assad's grip.

Not a big surprise. Gotta kill thousands in order to maintain power. Bashar should know that from his dad's experience in Hama 30 years ago.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had told me a year ago that there would be serious Syrian protests against the regime, I would've laughed at you. The Libyan rebellion is surprising but the Syrian protests are downright remarkable.

If I were Obama the urge to intervene to protect Jisr al-Shughour with a limited intervention, like the one employed in Libya, would be extremely tempting. Not saying it would be wise.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget Iraq.

Maliki Asks for Patience for Reforms

Quote:
Iraqi prime minister Nouri al-Maliki has backed down from a threat to fire poorly-performing cabinet ministers, a move which potentially opens the door to renewed popular protests in the country this summer.

Maliki gave his cabinet a 100-day deadline to improve basic services after a string of anti-government protests across Iraq in February.

He promised to assess their progress at the end of that period, and warned that "changes will be made" at failing ministries.

That deadline expired on Tuesday - and Maliki largely retreated from his threat, instead asking for patience and more time to solve problems.

"There are those who want to confuse the concept of this programme," Maliki said in an address on state television on Monday night.

"They want to push people to force ministers to be accountable for a few things that naturally should take more time."

Good news: Iraq produces more electricity than before the invasion.
Bad news: Its demand has more than doubled in the same amount of time.

edit: cleaned up quote.

Last edited by bucheon bum on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
If you had told me a year ago that there would be serious Syrian protests against the regime, I would've laughed at you. The Libyan rebellion is surprising but the Syrian protests are downright remarkable.

If I were Obama the urge to intervene to protect Jisr al-Shughour with a limited intervention, like the one employed in Libya, would be extremely tempting. Not saying it would be wise.

Do you see the two situations as parallel? I don't see it that way. In Libya, Qaddafi looked like he was finished, then a week later he made a big comeback and was threatening to massacre Benghazi. It looked like a limited engagement could swing the pendulum back the other way. It still could. The rebels just freed a mountain town on the Tunisian border.

Syria looks worse by the day, but anything less than a full-scale intervention wouldn't remove Assad. If there is going to be an intervention, it's more likely to come from Saudi Arabia.

But I agree with your original statement about not expecting Syrians to revolt. It's amazing.
Friend Lee Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Hidden agenda in Syria to show itself after Bilderberg meeting'
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That clip is from Mathaba.net, not the most, ummm, respectable site if you ask me. The guy being interviewed admits the revolts all have specific and legitimate local causes, but goes on to claim the US is behind the Syrian one. No evidence, just a claim. There there is the ominous hint about maybe learning more after the Bilderberg meeting...nothing about what it might be or anything, mind you. Just a fleeting reference. Does it take more than that to get the conspiracy theorists wound up?

If you have the time, you might want to check out the artwork that goes with this caption:
World Unites in Visualization, Prayers For Free Libya and Muammar al-Qadhafi

Collective visualization of Peace and Victory for the Libyan people and Muammar Al-Gaddafi, is taking place in a new era of spiritual defence

It's a nifty pic of Qaddafi in a swirly cloud of green flags hovering over a group of adoring fans. I take it as a New Age sort of warfare. Or something.

People might enjoy the Birthday Message to Muammar Gaddafi and the
Muslim Community

Here's the first two sentences (take a deep breath--the second one is a doozy): I extend this Happy Birthday to you on behalf of all African-Americans [except, of course, Barack Obama] who, whether you know it, or believe it or not, are rooting for you!! In the black barber shops and beauty shops, away from the ear-shot of their white American oppressors, they are on the edge of their seats, praying and agonizing over you, just as we prayed and agonized over the Vietnamese, until they finally, after 20 long hard years, won their war against the U.S. genocidal maniacs; praying to God that you will succeed in defending your country against the genocidal maniacs of the North Atrocities Terrorist Organization, just as the Vietnamese people won their war against the genocidal maniacs of the U.S. government!

http://mathaba.net/news/?x=627038

Edit: Here's another little gem I found. At the very top of the Salbuchi interview clip there is this line: Syria FUKUSA Europe Video
Maybe I'm biased, but that doesn't look unbiased to me.
Friend Lee Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ No, that clip is from Russia Today. And remember, no site or source is without bias.

And sorry if you don't like the acronym meaning "France-United Kingdom-United States of America."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 25 of 29

Jump to: