Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job Before vs. After coming to Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumibaer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Finding a job Before vs. After coming to Korea Reply with quote

A few of you have posted before, that if you were to do it all over again, you would have simply come to Korea first and then looked for a job. If someone were to take that route- what are the advantages.. in otherwords, how should one go about the job search if they can get themselves to Korea first? As opposed to fining one before coming... applying through the internet, etc....
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

Well, finding a job before you come allows you to get the free airfare deal.

But finding it after means you have to live (on your expense) until you find the right one for you.

Personally, I would work a year, then near the end of your contract, look for your next place to slave at, er, place of employment.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: well Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Personally, I would work a year, then near the end of your contract, look for your next place to slave at, er, place of employment.

This is the correct answer.

As well, with experience and not needing to have the teacher flown in, a substantially higher salary and/or greatly reduced working hours can be negociated far more easily.
rumibaer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you guys think it's ok to find a job first- and then come over,
provided that after working *cough, slaving* for a year one can upgrade to a better job? yeah. airfare is a pertinent concern.. so i see that agreeing to a contract first would help in that regard, as well as the fact that I won't have a lot of money to tide me over while "searching" for employment once there....thanx for the input!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not really better per se, but you simply won't know where to look your first year here, unless you investigate extremely thoroughly. Also, you have to have the money lying around to spend on living.

Do your year, then enjoy the freedoms that should open up after that, if you like it enough to stay.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah! Someone actually agreed with me (for once!).

And athiests say miracles don't happen.... Laughing
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, agree with GWW. that is what I did and now I am in a very cushy situation. though, I got cushier year by year - both my job and my stomach Wink
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Quote:

Yeah! Someone actually agreed with me (for once!).

And athiests say miracles don't happen.... Laughing

What's even more astounding is who is agreeing with you. Mr. "

Incorrect." himself.
rumibaer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... so i mean worst case scenario, one could think of the first year like " paying your dues" to enjoy the fruits of your labor afterwards huh ? Rolling Eyes first year job seems to be a wild crapshoot according to many of the posts on this board. haha i suppose... now is the time, if there ever was one, to take some chances. i still have my youth to fall back on right? right? * anybody out there?* Shocked you know what? the more i investigate, the more complicated this whole finding a hagwan job business is! there are layers and layers of peculiarities and complexities involved in the decision, that keep being revealed to me. maybe i should just try to be a "backdancer" instead for a gasoo? it's a thought..... Laughing
VC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of coming to Korea soon. If you come to Korea on a tourist visa will the immigration officials be suspicious if you only have a one way ticket and a lot of luggage?
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VC wrote:
I am thinking of coming to Korea soon. If you come to Korea on a tourist visa will the immigration officials be suspicious if you only have a one way ticket and a lot of luggage?

Odds are the airline won't let you board the plane, let alone dealing with Immigration when you get here.

Just buy a round trip ticket anyway, as it doesn't cost much more than a one way anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: