Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with uTorrent and ipTime wireless router
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrh82

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Issues with uTorrent and ipTime wireless router Reply with quote

Ive been using my ipTime wireless router for over 5 months now without any issues downloading torrents. Today I password protected this wireless router and I noticed that now none of my torrents download in uTorrent. I have a Macbook and I cant seem to fix the problem.

When checking the status of my incoming TCP ports (which is 41745), it says "connection status unavailable."

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Or does anyone know of an alternative port number that will work. I'm not incredibly sophisticated with this stuff and am suddenly at a loss.

Any and all assistance would be great!
akcrono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1.htm and scan your port, see what it says.

I'm not familiar with IPtime routers, but there should be a pinhole in the back where you can reset the router. That might help. Aside from that, I have no more advice other than changing your utorrent port or getting a new router.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 issues to deal with.

1) make sure the port is open on the router (sounds like it is)
2) make sure the open port is for the correct IP address of your device (may not be if you switched from wired to wireless).

Check the NAT settings on the router and see what IP address can access the open port.

THEN check to make sure that YOUR DEVICE has the same IP address.

IF it doesn't then change it on the router to match your device.

Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now in a similar position with my ipTime route. Been using uTorrent, but recently switched over to Transmission. Had no issues for the first few weeks, but now it's telling me that my ports need to be forwarded ... but only for my private tracker downloads.

Here are the instructions I should follow:
Quote:
Find out what your IP address is. You can find your computer's IP address by going to System Prefs -> Network, double-clicking on your connection (for instance, Built-in Ethernet), and clicking the TCP/IP tab. It's probably something like 192.168.1.100, or 10.0.1.2.
Open Transmission, go to preferences, and enter a number for the port. It is recommended you pick a random number between 49152 and 65535. Let's use 50001 for now. Then quit Transmission.
Go into your router configuration screen. Normally this is done via your web browser using the address 192.168.0.1 etc.
Note: Apple's AirPort uses an application called 'AirPort Utility' to configure it.
Find the port forwarding (sometimes called port mapping) screen. While the page will be different for each router generally you will enter something similar to the following:
For 'Application' type 'Trans'.
For 'Start Port' and 'End Port' type in the port you chose in Step 2. eg 50001.
For Protocol, choose Both.
For IP address, type in your IP address you found in Step 1. eg 10.0.1.2.
Check Enable.
Click save settings.
For more comprehensive instructions specific to your router, click here and choose your router from the list.

But I don't know how to find my router configuration screen.

Any advice?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you tried 192.168.1.1 from your web browser?

Chokse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your router came with a CD in the box then you'll need to run the utility installer on that CD (It will be Windows only, so you'll need to use Bootcamp/Parallels, or run it off of a Windows PC if you have one).

Once this is done, you'll have a utility program that will allow you to make adjustments to the router, including port forwarding, security, etc.

If it didn't come with a CD, then you'll need to put the IP address into your web browser to access the settings.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
I'm now in a similar position with my ipTime route. Been using uTorrent, but recently switched over to Transmission. Had no issues for the first few weeks, but now it's telling me that my ports need to be forwarded ... but only for my private tracker downloads.

Here are the instructions I should follow:
Quote:
Find out what your IP address is. You can find your computer's IP address by going to System Prefs -> Network, double-clicking on your connection (for instance, Built-in Ethernet), and clicking the TCP/IP tab. It's probably something like 192.168.1.100, or 10.0.1.2.
Open Transmission, go to preferences, and enter a number for the port. It is recommended you pick a random number between 49152 and 65535. Let's use 50001 for now. Then quit Transmission.
Go into your router configuration screen. Normally this is done via your web browser using the address 192.168.0.1 etc.
Note: Apple's AirPort uses an application called 'AirPort Utility' to configure it.
Find the port forwarding (sometimes called port mapping) screen. While the page will be different for each router generally you will enter something similar to the following:
For 'Application' type 'Trans'.
For 'Start Port' and 'End Port' type in the port you chose in Step 2. eg 50001.
For Protocol, choose Both.
For IP address, type in your IP address you found in Step 1. eg 10.0.1.2.
Check Enable.
Click save settings.
For more comprehensive instructions specific to your router, click here and choose your router from the list.

But I don't know how to find my router configuration screen.

Any advice?

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ajfx.html

copy & paste ur info in ur browser and it will bring up the iptime's tools/settings menu. all in korean. what operating system r u using?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man (guys). I'll try that tonight. I'm on a Mac... so we'll find out if that eases or complicates things.

Honestly, I've never known how to use my Ip addy in a browser. Do I simply just copy/paste it in? Shocked
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Thanks, man (guys). I'll try that tonight. I'm on a Mac... so we'll find out if that eases or complicates things.

Honestly, I've never known how to use my Ip addy in a browser. Do I simply just copy/paste it in? Shocked

type(or copy & paste if u found the info from an online search) it in and hit enter. if the "ip" doesnt work, type in the default gateway. dont know much about airport, but think u should b able to do what u want from there as long as u have ur ip. a mac user or google can likely help u more than i can.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

From your browser (up in the navigation bar where you see the URL: http://192.168.1.1/

Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that didn't work... at least not yet. Of course, it's in Korean, and even with help, it didn't match up at all with the instructions.

I found the port forwarding section from my IP addy... but the options (in Korean) didn't seem to be anywhere close to the instructions I've been given.

Hmm... maybe phoning a ISP tech might help...
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
well, that didn't work... at least not yet. Of course, it's in Korean, and even with help, it didn't match up at all with the instructions.

I found the port forwarding section from my IP addy... but the options (in Korean) didn't seem to be anywhere close to the instructions I've been given.

Hmm... maybe phoning a ISP tech might help...

http://www.runelocus.com/forums/showthread.php?27005-Why-uTorrent-isn-t-port-forwarding.

u basically want to make firewall exceptions on ur computer for it to work...u do NOT have to go into ur ipTime tools/settings unless u have scenario 1 or 3...then, u might want a tech or at least sb who speaks korean well as well as knowing a bit about ur problem to help. however, the ipTime tool(left icon) will tell u ur ip address and other info if u dont already have it. looking at ur instructions, that's all u really need. as i said earlier, i think airport, or whatever, on a mac can give u that info anyway.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/optimizing-transmission-bittorrent-client-speed.htm

http://www.blueskyis.com/bittorrent/airportforwarding.php

if ur still having issues, i'd recommend an uninstall and a re-install allowing the program(transmission) to use its defaults...unless that's why ur here in the first place? Wink
Chokse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, in the preferences for Transmission, there is a checkbox to choose to automatically map the port (or something along those lines). It will show a green light or a red light to indicate if the port is open.

Check to see if that is checked. If it isn't, try downloading with it checked. If it is checked, try downloading with it unchecked. Don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt to try.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. on the ipTime tools menu u'll see 외부 IP 주소. use that as ur ip on a page like one in the links...

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

...to determine if ur port is open. i found my port number for utorrent through preferences to b open. transmission will likely have sth similar.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved this a year ago - just moved, and can't remember how the heck I figured it out.

Doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: